Previous : Ugly Inc : Chapter 3 : Den Upon the Sand : Part 2 | Next : Ugly Inc : Chapter 3 : Den Upon the Sand : Part 4

===========================================================
Sea Elves
———————————————————–
The two elves shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Looking up at the group was more than a little intimidating. Neither of the elves looked like they were warriors, but they did have a few scars which looked more occupational than battle related. Judging elven age was always difficult, but they seemed young for their race. One looked at the other and shrugged, shaking his head in resignation.

“I fear you’re going to hurt us for how little we have to offer…”
He gulped but realized he had no choice and continued.

“I am Beiliss and this is Cararai. We were sailors until recently. All the humans just LOVED that we could breathe under water. But what that meant was we got the most dangerous jobs and no extra pay. So we quit. We were looking for work when a sailor we played dice with mentioned this gig. It started out just delivering to the long tunnel. But it didn’t take long for them to realize our race and suggest it would be better if we delivered through an under water tunnel.”

No one missed both Beiliss and Cararai shudder and wrinkle their faces in disgust.

“We love water of course, and caves aren’t so bad. But whatever lives in the lake in the cavern is vile. The water tastes disgusting. Tainted. Rotten. And… We’ve seen things…”

Cararai put his fist to his mouth to suppress another gag. “Pieces… Human… Pieces… Floating in the water or sunk to the bottom.”

Good thing Temple wasn’t in the room. Pieces of humans had the opposite effect on him.

Beiliss nodded and continued. “It wasn’t like that the first couple of runs we did. But something… fouled the water. We don’t know what. Now we just take the waterproof bags under, and let them float to the surface. Then leave. The couple times we did surface in the lake, it was inside an underground cavern.”

“Oh! The algae!” Cararai piped in. “There is glowing algae that grows in the lake. Probably because the water is so warm. It’s like bath water warm. Anyway. It glows. Only seen that a few other times in my life. Pretty intersting.”

Beiliss nodded his agreement. “There’s some kind of rope and pulley contraption overhead that the humans use to go in through the above water tunnel. There are stone buildings. They look like dwarves built them out of wax and then the stone melted or something. Not sure what the explanation is, but they are strange structures. There’s a beach off the lake where we took the supplies the first couple times, but as I said, we won’t even surface anymore. We just emerge from the tube enough to let the bags go and they float to the surface.”

The two looked uncomfortably back and forth at the group, judging if they were going to come to harm. If asked for the location of the tube the elves will agree to show the group where it is.

[Private to GM: Beiliss Mistamaer (Starforest)
Cararai Rumholi (Dewmeadow)
]

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 12:26, Tue 28 Nov 2023.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow smiled at the Elves. It was a genuine smile. She forgot, sometimes, that even though the Elves were a rich and powerful race, EVERYONE felt the crush of the human boot. That is something, one thing, that they all shared. Oppression from the pigs… disdain and dismissal for having pointed ears, scales, blue skin, or feathers.

“The only thing you have to fear from us, and I say this truthfully, is if you let slip of us to the humans. Our inquiries must remain a surprise to them. Yes? You keep this meeting, us, in silence, and not one hair will be harmed on either of you. “

She gave each of them a long look, to reassure them of the truth of her words, before continuing. “I have two more questions, and then my friend here may have some. Answer as you can, without fear. There are no reprisals if you cannot answer as we would like. Answer as you can. One, how many fighting men are there in the cave? A guess is fine. Two, how can we take this tunnel without your abilities? Do you know a way?”

Crow waited for their answers, then looked to the rest of the crew to see what other questions they might have.

===========================================================
Beiliss and Cararai
———————————————————–
Beiliss and Cararai looked at each other with scrunched up faces, not wanting to estimate wrong. Beiliss scratched his thin cheek and raised his hands. “I don’t want to tell you wrong… I mean, there has to be at least a dozen men. At least. And I would honestly expect there to be more, just based on the amount of supplies we bring in. Then again, it’s not regular. So maybe how many are there fluctuates or something? Like, you would think that it would be the same amount of almost everything, on a consistent schedule, if the same number of people were living in there all the time. You know? We only ever saw two guards through the main tunnel, and now that we go through the underwater one, we never see anyone.”

Cerarai piped in, “And whatever fouled the lake waters cannot be human. What human would rip people apart and just cast pieces into the water?” Again, thankfully Temple wasn’t present, because while he wouldn’t waste parts exactly, that sort of thing wasn’t beyond him.

Again Beiliss nodded his consent with Cerarai. “As to your question about the water way, I don’t know your abilities…” He said looking at Ash. “…or the magic available to you. But the tunnel is a long swim. Granted, we are slower when carrying gear. But no hu… uh… No, air breather could make the swim without… something. Potion. Apparatus. Something.”

“It takes us several minutes even to swim out after leaving everything, meaning we aren’t carrying anything, you know?” Cerarai added.

When asked about how long both the elves look at each other and shruged. “Never counted, you know? But… uh… Like… Let’s say to swim from the boat to the opening is… 5 minutes pulling gear, then at least another 5 going through the tube to get the to bottom of the lake. And the lake is deep. Like a hundred feet or more easy to the top from where we come out. Does that make sense?”

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch had relaxed considerably when the two elves seemed to relax themselves and begin to give them information about the place. The number of people down there didn’t seem so bad at least to him. The only thing that concerned him was the water. He hadn’t exactly learned how to swim, it wasn’t like Pent-In had a pool to teach the children. THey would more likely have to deal with students drowning others than teaching them how to swim…

Cruch looked over to Jinx at the mention that for at least 10 minutes underwater, they would have to swim. With wide eyes, he said, “So at the very least 10 minutes of swimming. We aren’t exactly proficient in swimming that I know of and I am sure you both are so we should probably add 5 more or even double the time it would take us. Do they even make potions that let you do that? I suppose if they make them where one can fly they have that too. Sounds like a better way to get in unnoticed though.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:52, Tue 28 Nov 2023.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash rubbed a scaled hand across his brow, as if the strain of thinking were enough to make him sweat, something that, as a snake-person, he was not capable of. “That’s a long way to go underwater, especially for a group that, as you say, Cruch, aren’t necessarily the best of swimmers. We’ve spent a few days now looking for another option, but, in the end, that platform is the only way we go in. Plus, I’m not itching to find out what lives in that lake that is tearing folk limb from limb. I say we go back to the original plan, take the two guards in the guard house, wait for the shift change and take out the replacement guards. That’s already four down. Then we cross, and, well, from there we’ll have to play it by ear. But this time, we stick together. I know none of us are particularly teamwork oriented, but it might keep our skins, scales and feathers more or less intact.”

This message was last edited by the player at 04:43, Wed 20 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto, remarkably, remained silent, though he did relax his posture and lower his axe to the floor as the conversation took an agreeable turn. It seems these elves were eager to give up the job, and had no intention of running or fighting their way out. Smart elves. Instead, Buto listened and waited for Crow to make the call. Through the water, or over the platform. Neither way was particularly appealing, but that was the lot in life for most of the Ugly crew.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow waited for each to ask their questions, although she had no desire to discuss their actual plan here, in front of these two.

She fished some more coins from her coin purse. “You see? Clink without work or fetid waters. Good. Yes? We were not here. You do not talk to these cave-dwellers again. When we come back, perhaps some easier work for you. You have skills that could be valuable. But for now, drinks on us. Yes?” With that, she added another gold coin for each of them, then made their way out of the small house.

After waving over Temple, she filled him in on what was said. “Dark water, rotten lake filled with dismembered limbs. Any idea what would do this with the bodies? Or do you think they are like chum for a creature they are keeping in the lake?”

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:06, Tue 28 Nov 2023.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple, to his… credit? Is not on the whole, all that focussed upon body parts tossed around all willy-nilly like, scattered hither and yon without point or purpose. That’s really more of a Buto thing and, in his professional opinion just untidy.

The Skinner on the other hand, is more likely to consider it a waste of good suffering.

In any case, he steps down from his hiding spot when signalled and flows over to where the Strix woman is standing, leaning in to hear her explanation and then frowning slightly “I didn’t smell any of that in the water, but then I didn’t get down to take a sample of it either. Could be a number of things, from discarding unwanted parts to disposing of bodies – although ghouls are generally more cost-effective for that. Not enough information to know, really but we can take a chain, a hook and a haunch of lamb or something down there if you want to try fishing.”

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
When Crow left to head outside so too did Jinx. She had been silent in the meeting but remained very much aware of what was happening in case she was needed by her companions.

As Temple came down and spoke to Crow, Jinx had a shudder come over her… go fishing for whatever was in the lake? No thank you… she kept her words to herself though and waited for the others to exit before they could all talk about what to do next.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash followed Crow and the others out with a last quip to the elves. It was nice doin’ business with you. But maybe next time have some coffee ready for your guests, jeez.

He trudged back to the street with the others and looked around. Well, It’s like I said, there’s no way we’re going in the water route. It’s gonna have to be the front gate or nothing. I know a number of us, Ash did not hide his glance at Kray, are itching for a little payback to Triel for Wink, but I guess we don’t have to go through with it. But there’s some nice clink in it for us, and who knows what goodies they’ve got stashed in that cave. So, what’s the call, Crow?

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto trailed the group leaving the elves’ hovel. He had (incredibly) not disturbed Crow’s discussion with them at all. As he huddled with the group, he had an odd smile on his face and he hefted his axe. So, it looks like we’re just going to have to knock the door in. Don’t worry, Buto is an expert and breaking in doors. Buto is not so good at fixing them later, though. He chuckled at his own joke and then stopped to listen to Crow’s instructions.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
As they walked back to the den, Kray spoke up, unable to stay silent any longer.

Why does this feel like a prison to hold some type of evil abomination? The elves have tricked and used us before. They sent us into the den of that Eye Demon. Why do I feel like we are a ferret stuffed down a hole to lure out a badger. I don’t think Triel is even their goal. I think whatever she has down there is the goal. And we are just bait to make it show itself.

Once the little bird… large for a bird?… got going, he could never stop and wait for responses. “One thing though, we don’t go in that water. And we have a clear path out. We need a plan to get back up that waterfall without the elevator. And someone needs to hold that guard house to keep our way out clear. If things turn, we bail. “

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow didn’t stop the group from talking about the gig on the way home, but she did not engage in the conversation. She gave the impression of not wanting to discuss things out in the open, but the truth was she was trying to get her emotions in check.

A cave. No sky, no air to give escape or freedom. And inside, some type of caged beast. Some nameless horror that taints water and leaves living offal floating in the deep. Once they got in there, they would be trapped, with IT, whatever IT was.

She agreed with Kray. They were being stuffed in a hole… headfirst. And yet… she didn’t want to pull the plug. Why? Pride? Payback? To prove something? All bad reasons to do anything.

Once they were back in the Den, mug of ale half drained in her hand, she addressed the group. “Ash and Kray have the right of this. We have to go in the front, and we won’t like what we find down there. I think. Yes. This cave, it hides more than one human fugitive. Crutch, Jinx. You have been quiet. What do you think? We do not need to finish this job. The shine is good, but there is a limit to how much I would risk our crew. Temple, you too. Should we go down there. And if so, how? Everyone. Put it all on the table now. I have thoughts. I want to hear yours.”

She didn’t like her thoughts and was hoping to hear better.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The crew walked among the tightly packed buildings at the docks. There were hostels, taverns and warehouses a plenty. The latter were the most dilapidated and unkept of the buildings. Salt and fish were the smells that permeated every inch of the docks. Sand and grit covered everything. The streets were nothing but hard-packed sand. Which was all that stood between the buildings and the Bay waters, and the foundations were slowly being carried out to sea with every tide. It was like a different world down here, from up in the city. Most Ptolus residents went their whole lives without ever stepping foot at the docks. They ate the food and bought the products which came through those who worked this area, but few would look upon it.

A dozen or more ships sat at sea, a few had lights running their lengths with people still on board, while most bobbed silently in the night. Suddenly a flash of light illuminated the entire bay, then the concussive sound reached the crew’s ears. They could see down Bay Street as they were crossing over it, a boat exploded in the night! Wood and shrapnel flew into the sky as something erupted from within. Seconds later the remaining hull was ablaze and started to sink, extinguishing the flames as it slipped below the water line.

Shouts of alarm rang out from all over the Docks. Sailors and workers rushed out of taverns and inns. It was too late to save the ship, but a couple row boats were quickly manned to check for survivors. Based on the explosion, that possibility was highly unlikely.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Woah! That was quite a pop! Guess one o’ them drunkie sailors found the powder room instead of his hammock.

Ash found a spot to look out onto the docks, curious what had exploded.

Perception check: 29

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Ash could see at least one large mast, maybe a second, which were broken and burning. It wasn’t some small scooner that exploded. The quarterdeck was still above water, but slipping fast. The ship was anchored out in the bay, away from the docks. A few candles were still lit on the quarterdeck, and would be extinguished when the ship sunk beneath the water completely. The row boats likely wouldn’t even reach the ship before it went down completely. The explosion must have caused even more devestation below the waterline to sink it so fast.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
OOC: Can Ash tell if this large boat is next to or near the small boat the elves were using?

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow wasn’t sure why she did it. Why did she care about some, probably, pink-skinned salt-lickers drowning in the bay. Any other day, she would have kept walking.

But not tonight. The horror of corpse-filled cave lake filled her mind, thoughts of drowning in those fetid waters seemed too real, too horrific.

With a powerful leap, the Strix took to the air and flew over the sinking boat, eyes adept at seeing in even the darkest nights, seeking for anything that still lived in the waters.

Crow will use her darkvision/lowlight to search the waters for survivors, diving to snatch up any she finds. She can fly with 300 lbs of weight, so she should be able to pick up anyone she finds.

Kray followed her lead, ready to use what few spells he had left to at least keep anyone from dying if possible.

[Private to GM: Cure minor should stop anyone from bleeding out, if anyone is actively dying. ]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:12, Thu 30 Nov 2023.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch was about to give his thoughts on what they should do when the explosion happened in the bay. It startled him a little as he jumped and turned back to the bay to look at what had happened. “What in the hell…” he was about to say before he saw the boat in flames out in the bay.

“I would hate to be on that thing.” Cruch said as he made sure to keep his wits about him. Sometimes people would take advantage of a distraction to pilfer things. Cruch turned back to see Crow leap into the air and fly off into the bay. “I was about to say we should hurry back to the Den but with her flying off like that I guess we need to wait!”

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray watched Crow shake her head as she landed back at the dock. “Nothing survived that. To the Den, before some pig blames the first thing with scales they see.”

Kray was surprised that Crow had lept to aid the sailors. He meant to ask her… later, when it was just the two of them. She was clearly not in her normal mind. This whole job had her acting off. He had been too focused on his own hurt over Wink’s loss to notice, but he was catching up on the math. Crow did not like this job, and the stress of it was starting to show.

“A bad omen. And another sign that we should keep our feet on firm ground as much as possible… but also, a good idea. Imagine that explosion, but in a tight cave….” . The little archer held his tongue, for once. No need to talk about how to start an explosion around this crowd.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

The suggestion to try fishing is… ultimately, very Temple. If you don’t know something, find out how to learn more about it! Whether that something is the security of the Orphanarium or the inner workings of a bullies body, there’s always a way in, even if that sometimes involves a scalpel.

In this instance however, with no-one especially interested he keeps his own council on the walk – much like Crow – and hovers towards the back of the group, eyes on those with eyes on them, a little more security than might otherwise be the case…

…the explosion sends him back a pace or two into the shadows of an alleyway, hands dipping out of sight but he rallies within a heartbeat or two and watches, then rejoins the others in Crow’s absence, chivvying them along, like Kray with a cool “No sense being on the streets with nothing to do and I believe she can be trusted to find the address.”

.

..

At the Den meanwhile, he pours himself a small glass of wine from behind the bar and sips it as he listens, rolling his tongue over his teeth and looking thoughtful before offering up those thoughts for the table:

“On the one hand, this looks to be a challenging situation. It’s a closed box with one known way in and out, seemingly well-prepared to deal with intruders. I absolutely agree that we should, under no circumstances go down there without a clear and reliable plan to get back out again.”

“Conversely.” he adds, a moment later “They have no reason to expect intruders. They shouldn’t know that they’ve been scouted and nothing has occurred which we are aware of to raise their alarm. If we enter carefully, pick locks and move with stealth, perhaps with the addition of magical or alchemical silence we ought to be able to achieve our objectives without undue risk.”

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Going off of what Temple said Jinx adds, “we already talked about how we can get out so no need to go over that again. I do like the idea of going in silently and getting to our target, which is Triel of course. The silence spell is very limited in its use though as it doesn’t last long enough. Also, the sneaking may be hard if they have lots of light down there but I think the longer we can keep quiet and unseen the better. Lastly, I will have levitation to help get up the waterfall if we need it.”

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
After Temple and Jinx had their say, Ash stood up to walk around the table in the Den kitchen. Sela Narys moving around at the stove and stepping out occasionally to bring a couple of plates to Horus for service to one of the paying customers, did not disturb him. He had grown used to her being there, and spoke freely in front of all the staff. Though he never had given details of any of the events that passed on their jobs, it would be impossible for Sela, Cedric or Horus to be completely blind to the fact that the proprietors of the Den were more than that veneer.

Ash finished the last swig of ale in his cup and set it on the table as he paced, the movement helping to loosen his thoughts. I agree with Temple, we’ve gotta manage to be quiet on our way in. I say, we close in on the two guards at the top and take ‘em out Ash made a throat slitting gesture with his scaled hand as emphasis. Then we hole up in their shack and wait for the guard change. We let the two oncoming guards take the cage up and then we do with them what we did with the first two. Boom! That’s four guards outta the fight. Ash punched one fist into an open palm as he spoke. Then, when we take the cage back down, anyone below will assume it’s just the guards coming off shift an’ won’t think nothin’ of it. That at least should get us to the lower floor unnoticed. From there, well, we’re gonna have to play it by ear, but this time we all STAY TOGETHER so we don’t have another Wink situation. Ash paused a moment, as he knew the name Wink was still a sore spot for some of the crew. After we’re down and out of the cage, we find a place that looks defensible, and then we can decide which way to go. If anything gets too dangerous, we make our way back to the cage and up, or if we can’t, we go back up by that waterfall…those who can fly or climb do, the rest will use Jinx’s um…spell.

Ash slumped back into his chair, his feet and his brain having finished their task, kicked his boots up onto the table and hooked his hands behind his head, in that position of repose he so favored.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Fri 01 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto, quiet as ever, lightly stroked the quills of Yozhik, his hedgehog familiar. The small creature seemed to enjoy the surprisingly gentle touch of the blue-skinned bloodrager, a reminder for those who would think on it, that Buto’s brutality was not his entire personality, but more a remnant of a violent, traumatic childhood event, followed by years of abuse and neglect at Tenpin’s Children’s Home. In quiet moments he seemed almost…well no one would even consider using the word pleasant to describe Buto, but he seemed at least not particularly more acrimonious that a slightly rabid stray hound in the Warrens might, which is still a far cry from MURDEROUS RAGE.

Quiet in, once we’re down Crow, we will not be quiet for long. Blood will fly and men will scream. They are good at that when Buto’s axe crushes their life from their bodies. But Ash finally has the right of something. Even the snake man can be as right as a broken clock. We stay together, and crush those who stand before us quickly. Buto will do his best not to have ALL the fun. Buto smiled his weird smile and chuckled to himself. One might think he was planning a holiday rather than a suicide mission into a stinking cave full of soldiers and a monster-infested lake.

Buto sat Yozhik on his shoulder and held up a piece of apple, which the hedgehog nibbled. When shall we go?

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Fri 01 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
“I am ready to go once everyone is.” Cruch said with an eager look in his eyes.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Her crew seemed all in. Sigh. Back into the dark She needed to do this, for herself, to prove she wasn’t scared.

No. To prove she could, despite the fear.

She made sure they had all the supplies they needed, then headed to the docks to rent two boats.

“Temple, you and the Jinx’s winged pet can take out the two guards at the top, then we will come join you. Keep one alive, so we can question them. Yes? We will keep the boats of the tunnel until you are ready.”

Using a little of the coin they were fronted from the elves, She rented two boats. They weren’t in good state, but they do. Then they headed out to the cave entrance,

Crow, or course, scouted the way ahead from the air.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

“True.” Temple agrees once Jinx has spoken, “I am more concerned with the tunnel itself than the climb, but it’s solvable in principle. And you are correct about the spell, although there are alchemical preparations which can help with stifling sound, at least for the span of a short conflict.”

“Give me a little while and I’ll source the needed materials. Ideally, each one of us will have a climbing potion and a pouch of sound-deadening dust. The first one to react in a situation casts the dust, everyone else uses their weapons… Does this sound reasonable?” he proposes, looking across the group, and – assuming agreement – doing just that in the fashion of someone for whom a montage is just good business.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx had talked a bit with Cruch about what was needed and when Temple had explained he could do some alchemical solutions to help them out for cheaper than a wand would cost, if they could find one anyway, she told Temple, “We will give you the gold now. I have some saved and will cover my brother if he needs. I can help you if you want, as I told you before I dabbled with alchemical mixtures.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group worked together to handle all their preparations, then they rented the duo of boats on Pier Eight from “Old Sard.” He only had three rowboats and one small keelboat, so he was excited to rent half his fleet at one time. The deposit was steep, 20 gold for each boat, but it was only 1 gold per 24 hours of use for each. Thankfully they would get back the 40 gold, so long as they returned Sard’s boats in the same condition they took them out in.

Old Sard was excited at the income. He didn’t have a lot of business, because few people who needed to be on the water didn’t own their own boat or work for someone who did. Not a lot of people decided to just row out into the Bay of the Ptolus. All of them expected Sard would be getting good and drunk that night.

Working together they rowed north along the coast to where Temple indicated the cave entrance was. It wasn’t easy to spot, concealed and camoflaged against casual observation, but the surgeon’s reconnaissance helped the group tremendously.

[Private to GM: K1. OVERLOOK

The lava tube suddenly ends at a small ledge overlooking a vast cavern. A small pile of wooden planks is stacked on the edge of the ledge. Nearly a hundred feet below, the waters of a lake filled with dimly glowing green algae lap against cave waifs encrusted with pallid fungi. A small stone building is built into the side of the ledge wall, and a pair of heavy ropes descends from a winch on the side of the building across the take to a similar winch attached to a wooden structure on the other side of the lake. Suspended on these ropes is a rickety looking wood and iron cage mourned on a system of pulleys. The phosphorescence of the lake just barely illuminates the vast cavern, and you can see what appear to be the partially melted ruins of several buildings protruding from a sparkling wall of volcanic rock along the far wall of the cave. Several of these buildings have small doorways at ground level, but you see no windows in the ominous dark facades. The air here is thick, warm, and excessively humid.

The planks can be used to form a makeshift bridge between the hanging cage and the ledge, allowing people to cross into the cage with ease when it is retracted up to this location. Anyone who falls off the ledge drops 90 feet into the nasty green water below and takes 2d3 points of subdual damage plus 5d6 points of normal damage; a successful Swim or Tumble check (DC 20) allows the character to hit the water gracefully and negate the normal damage.

K2. TRANSPORT CAGE

This cage can be raised or lowered between areas K1 and K9. The winches in areas K3 and K11 control the cage operation.

The cage itself looks rickety, but it can support up to three Medium creatures with no problem. Up to six medium creatures can cram into the cage, but this runs a chance of snapping the ropes that hold the cage. Each round the cage is overloaded, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1 per additional medium creature in the cage over the normal limit of three) to avoid crashing into the lake below. The cage has a Fortitude save bonus of +2. The cage descends 15 feet per round (90-foot total descent), so creatures in a falling cage take less damage the closer to area K11 they are. Anyone who inspects the cage and makes a Knowledge (architecture and engineering) check (DC 20) can determine the cage’s safety threshold. A character can descend the ropes without the cage with a successful Balance check (DC 18 or Climb check (DC 15).

K3. UPPER WINCH

This room is dominated by a large winch. Operating the winch requires a successful Strength check of DC 10). Each round, the winch moves the cage at a speed of 10 feet. Since the distance between the two areas is about 60 feet, it takes 6 rounds for someone to move the cage from one location to the next. Safety features on the winch halt the progress of the cage if the operator ceases to use it before the cage reaches the other side. A successful Disable Device check (DC 20) removes this safety feature; with a result of 30 on the check, the missing safety isn’t obvious. The winch also has a locking mechanism that prevents it from functioning; releasing this lock requires an Open Locks check (DC 25).

A tiny 1 foot-square circular window is set into the southern wall. Affixed to the wall next to this window is a stone of alarm; it can be activated by touch and removed from its mount with a successful Strength check (DC 15.)

K4. WINCH OPERATOR’S BARRACKS (EL 3)

This room contains two bunks, a table, and two chairs; the thugs prefer to pass the time playing cards or raking shifts sleeping, for the most part.

Creatures: Two of Triel’s thugs are always stationed here; they make sure no one uses the winch to lower the cage unless they’re attended by Triel or one of the other cultists. Guard duty here is considered fairly relaxing, and is usually awarded to minions who have pleased Triel in some way Each of the thugs carries a key to lock and unlock the winch in area K3.

Narthus and Kildivy, Male Human Ftr2 (2): hp 22, 20; see area M1 of the Lucky Monkey for details.

Tactics: If the thugs realize that someone is trying to invade the cavern, one of them quickly makes sure that the winch in area K3 is locked down, while the other activates the stone of alarm, filling the main cavern with a cacophonous din and alerting the denizens of the cavern.

K5. STORAGE

This small room contains two weeks rations and drinkable water, along with a sizable stack of replacement planks for the pile in area K1.

K6. THE PHANTOM LAKE

The waters of this large lake glow softly with thick, ropy, glowing algae. Now and then tiny curb of steam rise from the lake, filling the area with a cloying stink of soggy plant matter. The surface of the water ripples now and again, but it’s impossible to tell if these ripples come from underwater currents welling up from below, or from something more sinister. . .

The water below the layer of algae—which grows to a depth of roughly 5 feet—is warm (around 80ºF) thanks to the presence of several volcanic vents located in its bed. The phosphorescent algae provides illumination equal to that emitted by a torch, but dies quickly when removed from water or exposed to sunlight.

The lake itself is about 200 feet deep, but it has no true bottom. Rather, its bed branches into numerous aquatic waterways that wind through the rock; most of them eventually empty into the watery central shaft, but a few emerge from the sides of Cauldron to form rivers or streams.

Development: The lake itself is strangely free of animal life. This is due to the presence of the ravenous demon that has taken up a lair on the eastern beach (see area K7. The demon is watchful, and if it sees anyone enter the waters of the lake it quickly slithers into the water and swims out to feed.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:53, Tue 05 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
covered from feather crest to talon-tipped toes in a canvas rain cloak, Kray could easily be taken for a young teen out for his first nautical adventure. He doubted the subterfuge was necessary, but they had issues in the past when their identities got out.

He was ready for this. He had double-checked his arrows, including the assortment of noise and fire arrows that Crow had given him, and had his selection of spells ready. All combat oriented today, with one to cover their retreat if needed. AS silently as they wanted to make this, the battle would come at some point and he was prepared to bring the hammer, one pointy shaft at a time.

Kray didn’t rely on Temple’s direction alone. He had his map from when he tracked the elves with his spell, and he used it to make sure they stayed on course until they reached the dark recessed cliff face that was their destination.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow winged over the cliff face. She knew the area well by now, after spending the better part of a week scouring it for activity or entrances. She surveyed the cliff above the entrance for any people or changes from her last visit, then the sea for any boats. She made sure she could not be seen from inside the cave, relying on her excellent vision to allow a higher flight path.

After she was sure there was nothing around, she joined the group on the deck of one of the Boats… the one that held Temple and Jinx.

“Temple, you enter first. Yes? Scout to see if the things are the same. If there are only two, Jinx will enter and take one out with her pet while you get the drop on the other. Leave one alive. Yes? Easier to question then corpses. If you run into trouble, I will come to your aid. I can fly to cover you with my bow or pull you out if needed. “

The boats will stay right next to the cave entrance, out of sight from down the passage but close enough for Temple to get purchase on the rock face.

“If needed, we can use your powder to muffle any sound near the guards. “

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash rode in the middle of one of the small boats, pulling at an oar with all the natural grace of a horse picking up a spoon. Ash had never been on the water in a boat. Certainly Pent-In had offered to opportunity, and his work had always been underground in the mines. No, this rocking vessel of hell could go right back to the netherworld from whence it came, for all Ash cared.

Little by little, he managed to get, not so much a rhythm, but some semblance of rowing, and the boat did seem to grow nearer and nearer to the point on the cliffs that Kray indicated, though Ash could not make out anything resembling a cave mouth. Ash had spent a few days with Kray on the ground above the cliff face, but they had been looking for another way in, and Ash hadn’t paid much attention to the cliff or the cave while they scouted.

Ash rode in the boat with Cruch and Kray, Buto Jinx and Temple were in the boat just behind them. Eventually, they neared the cliffs, and Ash could finally begin to make out the place where the cave must be.

Can’t say I care for the ocean much. A snake belongs on the solid ground, where he can find a rock to climb up on and take a nice sun bath. This cold, wet endlessness…nah, ain’t anything for me. Let’s just get in this tunnel and get off these bloody things.

Ash released one hand from the oar and checked the tan rain cloak he and the others had obtained, pulling it around him. Hopefully any lookouts would take them for fishermen.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:05, Tue 05 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto sat awkwardly in his own rowboat, which leaned somewhat precariously to that side. He wore his standard black cloak. There hadn’t been a rain coat that fit; not event two sizes away. Not a chance, not if I had a week to search for one. Those had been the words of the shopkeep who’d sold the others their coats.

But that hadn’t been enough for crow. Buto fingered the ropes that tied a large, tan square tarp in a somewhat misshapen way around his bulk. If people didn’t take him for a fisherman, perhaps they would think a dead horse was being transported by row boat to be dumped into the sea. Why? It’s Ptolus, why not?

Buto grumbled under his breath as he rowed, working to keep his significantly heavier side of the boat moving forward. As they neared the cave, Crow landed on the boat and gave her instructions. Buto kept his own counsel, his thoughts already turning to the battles to come, the heaving of the axe and the screams that would follow. FInally, the boredom was over.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
Temple is once again wearing his ‘working clothes’, close-stitched leather and glass and no hint of the man within but he – as he suggested – comes to the waterfront unmasked and in a baggy canvas coat with little indication of his purpose there, just one more figure amongst many, only to change once they’re on the water.

He actively and verbally approves of Kray’s thoroughness, then addresses Crow’s suggestion with a nod, answering over the lap of the waves against the hull “It will take some little time for me to reach the end of the passage, and I’ll signal you when to move up. I’m initially concerned about there being an alarm line down to the main body of the place. I’ll check that before I look to taking out a target. When I signal you, move up and the moment they show suspicion “

And with that, he climbs up and starts to move in.

Wellllll, f***. Good thing there’s no auto-fail or auto-succeed in skill use.
20:12, Today: Temple rolled 16 using 1d20+15. Stealth.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:54, Tue 05 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
It wasn’t Temple’s fault. The rock looked sturdy. But the grip he had as he made his way into the mouth of the cave was a large, unstable chunk which broke away and dropped to the cave floor with a thus and rattle as it rolled away.

Thankfully, this was a very natural sound in caves. Rocks fell all the time. And after a short wait to ensure no alarm was raised, he was able to move deeper into the tunnel once more.

Temples knee eyes and senses noticed not one, but two trip wires as he made his way down the tunnel.

The tunnel ended at the small ledge overlooking the vast cavern which Temple had seen before. A small pile of wooden planks were still stacked on the edge of the ledge. Nearly a hundred feet below, the waters of a lake, with dimly glowing green algae, lapped against cave walls encrusted with pallid fungi. A small stone building was built into the side of the ledge wall, and a pair of heavy ropes descended from the winch on the side of the building across the take to the similar winch attached to a wooden structure on the other side of the lake. Suspended on the ropes was the rickety looking wood and iron cage mourned on the system of pulleys.

The phosphorescence of the lake just barely illuminated the vast cavern, and Temple could see what appeared to be the partially melted ruins of several buildings protruding from a sparkling wall of rock along the far wall of the cave. Several of the buildings had small doorways at ground level, but no windows broke the ominous dark facades. The air was thick, warm, and excessively humid.

The planks, temple knew, could be used to form a makeshift bridge between the hanging cage and the ledge, allowing people to cross into the cage with ease when it was retracted up to this location.

The small building which the ropes went into had a single, heavy, wooden door with a small peep hole. Temple could hear the two guards inside playing cards. The mechanism that moved the cage was inside that room as well.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
OOC: READ ME.

There was a miscommunication.
The cave entrance is well above the high tide mark and dry. There is no water in the tunnel, and therefore no waterfall. The tunnel does come out ninety feet above the inner lake and all is otherwise as described. There is however a second, entirely underwater tunnel used by the elves for deliveries.

Thank you.

Moving as much along the wall as the floor, Temple moves smoothly to the point where he discovers the first trap and carefully outlines it with chalk, making it as clear as possible for those following behind him – an action he repeats with the second tripwire some way further down, signalling the others behind him every so often – keeping them well back, but in position to provide some support if things should go horribly amiss.

Entering the by-now familiar cavern in which he’s spent so much time, Temple doesn’t delay in heading to the cage mechanism (not the controls, the actual rope-over-the-void) and looks for any sign of a secondary cable or string that might operate an alarm bell. Hr finds nothing, and in short order heads back to the guard room door, where he spends a few moments listening to the game, then motions for the stealth attack team to move up, after offering a signal that indicates ‘two, distracted’ to those who can see him.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:02, Tue 05 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow signaled for Buto, Crutch, and Ash to remain at the Cave entrance. She isn’t sure how they will keep the boats from floating away, but that is their problem to solve. She does expect a certain amount of autonomy from her crew, after all.

The winged ranger padded silently down the tunnel, her talon-tipped toes somehow not making any noise on the hard rocks. She kept out of sight from the cliff edge and inspected the guard shack, looking for a way to open the door from this side. She also kept a keen eye out for traps and alarms.

Stealth 29- , Perception – 22, Disable Device 28 – Crow will see if she can access the door “controls” from the outside, but only as much as she can without making noise. She will also inspect the guard house for any other openings or access points. There must be someplace where the controls on the inside connect with the elevator on the outside.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray’s excitement had faded into focus. It was always the way with him. He knew he was energetic, excitable and even a little loud usually. But once the job started, he was able to drain away the emotion… like feeding fire into a flame, leaving only calm stillness behind.

He padded along after the creeping specter that was his older sister, with the quiet bulk of Jinx behind him. Everyone seemed large to the little bird. The difference between the giant bulk of Buto and that of the green twins was academic to Kray. They were all BIG to him.

As Crow began to inspect the guard house, Kray prepared to assist her if things went sideways. He held his bow and two arrows in one hand.. one tipped with a regular broad-headed steel tip, designed for cutting flesh and letting it bleed… and the other a fascinating metal mechanism designed to make a screaming sound when air flowed through the little holes. His other hand held the little pouch of powder provided by Temple. If he heard any sound of alarm or concern. he was prepared to throw the powder at the guard door.

Stealth – 22

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx moved forward through the tunnel and at one point something on her made a little noise. She froze immediately when it happened. Kray, Crow, and Temple had already gone off ahead and she pulled up the rear of the formation by quite a bit. She had only heard Temple describe what was inside and wanted to take it slow. From that point forward she took her time moving forward.

Take 10 for a 19 on stealth to move forward to the opening of the cavern.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow felt the lock give slowly, quietly. She thought that if the guards inside were inattentive, focused on their cards, they probably hadn’t even noticed. Stupid piggies. Too focused on their slop to know that slaughter was coming. Never trust a pig to do the job right.

She signaled to Temple that the door was unlocked, then waited for Jinx before sliding to the side to make room. The plan was simple enough. She would throw the door open, Kray would use the powder, Jinx would put one to sleep while Temple cornered the other. If he resisted, Jinx could drop him too.

She relayed this with hand signals and then waited for them to indicate they were ready.

If she hears any commotion from inside indicating they noticed the lock, she will move now to open the door and have Kray throw the powder.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
While the first party headed into the tunnel, Ash managed to find something that passed for a cleat to hitch the boats to. He secured the rope; though he wasn’t a sailor, he’d gotten plenty of practice tying up Jinx’s victims, so he knew his way around a knot.

Ash watched the others work slowly through the tunnel, first Temple, who stopped a couple of times to mark something, then Crow, Kray and Jinx. Ash didn’t like the thought of sending them in without one of the blue- or green- skinned meatshields, but all four of them had shown themselves more than capable in handling trouble.

Ash stepped off the small, rocking rowboat, happy to leave the unsteady waters for solid ground. He remained at the mouth of the cave, watching the others and listening for their signal to move forward.

Perception Check – 14

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto joined Ash at the entrance to the cave, the rowboat almost visibly relieved to be free of the Suli’s bulk, bobbing up as Buto stepped off. Buto checked his gear and stretched his long limbs and waited for Ash to give the signal to move.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple – once the others are firmly in position – drops to one knee by the side opposite the hinges and carefully tests the door – first to see if it makes so much as the slightest sound as he works the handle, and then to see if the least pressure can move it… Before he casts it open to give clear lines of fire to the others while moving in, low and fast – not uncurling until he’s inside and out of the way.

Using my surprise action to reach melee range with the two guards, to one side where a 5′ can let me strike either. I’ll act on my initiative next turn if there’s anything left of them.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:38, Wed 06 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
(OOC: Everything posted here is dependent on what Temple wants to do. If Temple did not want to move forward in this way, then this post is void. Let me know.)

The door was jerked open to reveal two human males seated at a table, lazily playing cards. Two mugs sat amid the cards and chips, along with two plates of mostly eaten food. The duo looked over at the door with alarm. Both were wearing well kept looking studded leather armor with buckler shields strapped to their left arms. Each appeared to be wearing rapier’s on their hips, and daggers on the opposite side.

A large winch dominated the rest of the room. It was a large device to handle the moving cage just outside the room and looked like it would take a very strong person, or two people, to operate.

Surprise Round. Go.

Guard’s Stats
AC: 16 (flat-footed currently, so it’s 14)
HP: 22

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow was about to put her weight on the door when the smooth surface vanished from her touch. Temple, flowing like water, slid silently into the room. The two piggies looked like they had just seen a falcon diving on them and hadn’t yet processed the danger they were in. She needed to elucidate the circumstances for them.

Crow pivoted back and drew fletching to cheek while saying softly and clearly “Make a sound, and you die. “. The explosion of the powder bag thrown by her nestmate a second later might have made the point moot, but she made it anyway.

HP 37, AC18, 22 Init – Suprise round Intimidate – 12.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:41, Thu 07 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
ray doesn’t wait to process what he sees through the open door. The eyes can do funny things when seeing things only in a flash through crowded bodies. He has one job here, and he does it as soon as the door is fully open. One neat bag of processed powder flies through the door and hits the floor in the center of the room, exploding silently into a cloud of particles.

HP 27, AC19, 5 Init – Suprise round used to throw Powder of Silence.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx had made it to the door to the guards shack and waited for the door to open. As soon as it did, Jinx gave a soft cooing sound to both men but focused on the right one. “Nighty night!”

Use slumber will save DC21 or fall asleep

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch was in the other boat to even out the weight. Him and Buto were far too big to be in the same boat and besides that they both used their bulk to row the respective boats. It was easy work really and Cruch liked the mild work out to warm up his muscles.

Once everyone had exited his boat he too climbed up into the tunnel and tied off his boat as well. If the tunnel had been big enough he would have just pulled the boat inside but it was far too big.

Cruch was getting anxious waiting for the others to signal back to them but he kept his cool and kept quiet as well.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray allowed himself a small smile, or the slight parting of the beak and raise of the crest feathers that passes for a smile on someone without lips. Guards captured, and nary a sound in sight… wait, nary an alarm in the wind…? Hmmmm, what was the right pairing with nary in this situation?

Linguistical concerns aside, Kray stepped into the small room and filled his secondary duty. They needed to know what in the abyss was in this cave, and that guard was going to tell them the truth.

Zone of truth, Save DC 17 Will. last 4 minutes.

With a wave of his hand, the other gripping his necklace, Kray spoke to the room. “On command of a power higher than any here, speak only words of truth.”

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow stepped no closer, but pitched her voice louder to be heard through the spell. “Corporate, live. Lie, die. Yes? Your pay is not worth you life. We care not for you, or any others below. Just the one called Triel. Is she below?”

This was the most critical question. If she wasn’t, there was no point in taking one more span into this charnel cesspool.

She didn’t signal Kray to get the others. Not yet. If this conversation went poorly, she wanted the option to exfiltrate quickly. And, as the spell cast by her young brother affected everyone in the shack, she was speaking the truth. They had left swaths of blood behind them on their last two jobs. Those that shed blood unnecessarily will drown in a river of their own making. She would not bring up the butcher until this conversation was finished, and would not let him at this pinkie if possible.

Unless…. he lied. Or refused to speak.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
One of the guards immediately slumped over in slumber. The other jumped up, instinctively and put his back against the wall looking at the others with fear evident in his eyes. He reached for his sword, but quickly moved his hand away and raised them in the air in surrender.

[Private to Temple: Temple caught the guard glance at the wall by the door. Temple noticed a stone attached to the wall which seemed out of place.]

Feeling the magic wash over him the man shuddered but nodded his head in understanding to Crow.

“Yeah…” He started trepidly. “She’s below. As far as I know at least. She would have to come through here. So I can tell you that she hasn’t left while we…” He stopped and looked at his companion, breathing a little easier once he noticed the man was still alive. “While we’ve been on watch.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:04, Fri 08 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash’s scaled itched, as much as scales can, while he waited. He could no longer see the group, but if they got into major trouble, Kray would use his whistling arrow. It would alert the entire complex, of course, but at least it would alert Ash and the others that they needed support.

Not for the first time did he remind himself that the group currently in the cave, while none of them necessarily fighters, were undoubtedly skilled and potentially more deadly than the group of lugs standing at the mouth of the cave. It’s quiet. I’m betting Jinx already put the whole army to sleep.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray nodded to the Crow after the guard responded. He was telling the truth. He paid very close attention to the guard’s words as he responded to bug sister’s questions. He could not lie, but the truth you heard did not have to be the truth they told.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow noticed both Kray’s nod and the pinky’s look to his slumbering partner.

“It is good you answered with truth. If you keep doing so, he will wake. Tell me everything about the area below. How many guards are there, where can we find Triel. Be quick, but leave nothing out. Your words will save not only your life, and your friends, but also those below. We only want Triel. If you can help us avoid the others, they will live too. This spell effects me also… everyone in the room. You can trust my words are true. Yes?”

She lowered her bow. Between Kray, Temple, and Jinx, there was no need for her to personally threaten the Man.

Will save vs truth – 15 FIALED

This message was last edited by the player at 19:02, Fri 08 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Everyone could see the struggle on the man’s face, and the anger, as he looked from his sleeping companion to the group that had invaded his location. Clearly he was unhappy and trying to think of options, but he had very few.

Shaking his head and blowing out his breath the man slowly reached down and picked up his mug then drained it in one nervous gulp. He slowly sat the cup back down and squared his jaw.

“What assurances do I have you won’t just slit both our throats after we’re done talking?”

He listened to the response, and having no alternative continued.

“I’m not sure how many are in the complex currently. Don’t kill me for not telling a truth I don’t know. Typically there are between
twenty and fifty in the complex. We don’t take roll call every day or anything. So I’m not certain. As to everything about the complex below… I mean, it’s a bunch of stone rooms where we live and train. There’s probably 30 rooms, and one bit room. This winch controls the cage outside which gets us downstairs. I have to press that rock there below the winch. The winch is locked and must be released before it will move. There is also a locking mechanism in the building below, but it’s unlocked when we’re up here. Once the cage reaches the beach below, only the doors directly across from the winch house are unlocked. They lead into our dining hall. You have to take the hallway to the right to get to Triels chambers. So… Can we go…?”

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

The dust has the fascinating effect of deadening sound, noises coming across as though happening at a distance through water, rather than with their usual crispness – the effect on speech is equally bizarre, although not sufficiently so to interfere with spellcasting.

“As it stands, we gain no benefit to killing or sparing them. I’d say bind them and walk away. If we’re seen by others below, we gain a reputation for people worth surrendering to. If not, well… We can revisit matters when we leave.” Temple – it is obviously still Temple – states, moving through the room once the scuffling is over to examine one particular stone on a wall of other stones, very pointedly not touching it as he does so.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
In reply to Asho Iduska (msg # 760):

Cruch was anxious as he waited and it was obvious that Ash was too. When he made the comment about his sister, Cruch smiled and said, “she hasn’t had enough time yet but give her a few more minutes… she can put anyone to sleep… except you of course.” Cruch then wondered what it was between Jinx and Ash… there was something going on there but he didn’t know. “What is up with you two anyways?” Cruch was trying to relax and the question seemed as good as any.

This message was last updated by the GM at 09:09, Sat 09 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow eyed the slithering “man” that was their physician and torture before turing back to the guard with a nastyy smile.

“No, I am afraid you cannot go. I have spoken truth, we will free you when we return. If we return. It would be in your best interest if we do. I do not think Triel would be kind to guards sleeping while her fortress was infiltrated. No, best for you if we survive to free you and help you flee. Yes?”

“When is the next guard change? And tell me about the floating body parts in the water.”

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 14:43, Sat 09 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The guard frowned when Crow laid it out. Then he scratched his face in thought about the guard change and grimaced when asked about the body parts.

“Ok. I guess. As to the guard change, we have several more hours until we are relieved. I’m honestly not sure how long. We will stay until relieved, but it won’t be anytime soon. Ugh… The lake?” He scrunched up his face in disgust. “I honestly don’t know. Triel brought something that took over the lake and likes to… Feed. On flesh. Human flesh.” Clearly he was not happy or in support of whatever this thing is. “Occassionally someone will bring back a homeless person, or drunk, or an enemy of Triel’s and throw them into the lake. I’ve never watched it eat, so I’ve never seen it. But the beast must be vile.”

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray, usually silent, was intrigued by this, and couldn’t help to speak up. “It lives in the water? Can it reach out? “

First the Eye Tormentor, now this. Crow would never venture below ground again, and Kray couldn’t blame her.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The man shook his head. “It’s never come out. Not that I’ve seen. Thank the gods. And it never bothers anyone on the beach in front of the wall. Like us walking to the lift I mean. So I dunno.”

In answer to the other questions, what other entrances to the cave are there? What is the purpose of the cave? Is there anyone else there besides the guards?

“The only other entrance I know of is the underwater ones. Supposedly there are a bunch of tunnels under the lake. But nothing any of us have ever seen. We can’t breath under water and wouldn’t want to if we could. You know?”

He stood, watching the group to make sure they wouldn’t attack him for that simple action.

“Speaking to the purpose of the caves, it used to be some old settlement of some weird creatures. Not much is ever said about it. But it wasn’t dwarves. The stone was worked in a weird way. But we just use it as our base now. Close enough to the city to have the comforts, but far enough removed we don’t have to deal with the Watch or… Others. Usually. You all are the first to ever try to get inside since I’ve been here. Listen, how about I go down and see if Triel will talk to you? What is it you want? Maybe we can make a deal?”

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

“The deal, as it stands is your lives for basic information. Our purpose here will not be served by a failed negotiation. No, better I think to high-tie and gag you then stuff you into a corner.” Temple suggests from over by the wall, a small smile playing about his features as he examines the control, “I appreciate that that may sound as though I’m going soft in my old age, but it’s not as if we need them dead and the odds are that someone will see us before we’re done here.”

“It does however beg a question.” he adds, seemingly in thought as he turns his lenses from the stone to the two men, “You live here, train here. For what purpose? Religious, criminal, mercantile? What factions in the city, if any are you affiliated with?”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The guard scratched his chin almost like he hadn’t thought about it in those terms before. Most of the time people simply floated through life either following the path of their parents or whatever group they fell into. Seldom did people stop to think about the categorization of their actions. Even if they did, most had justifications and explanations. A criminal almost never labeled themselves as a criminal. Freedom fighter. Rebel. Underdog. Revolutionary. Insurgent. Or maybe just a nonconformist.

“Well, Triel is certainly religious. But not Lothian or any of the big ones you hear about in the city. And not just one. She’s got several symbols. Like she worships more than one. Me and most of the guys are just hired hands.”

He stopped and looked down at his companion.

“He’s going to be alright, right?”

The guard reached over and grabbed the mug across the table which the other man had been drinking from and took a swig from it.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
“Yes. He will wake.” And soon too. They needed to tie these men up.

“Temple, Kray. please tie these men up. We will not use you for parlay. You see, we are here to KILL her, not negotiate. And only she must die. When we are gone, you can choose a new leader. One that does not cross the wrong crew. Yes? “

This message was last edited by the player at 13:27, Sun 10 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The man chucked the cup he was holding at the opposite wall and attempted to dodge through the door behind him. Unfortunately Kray took his legs from beneath him even as he shrugged off Jinx’s sleep spell. It would have been better for him had her spell put him to sleep.

“Don’t kill me!” He shouted from the floor.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray, fortunately, had his whole focus on the guard. While the spell he was casting did not need concentration, he couldn’t help but feel like his willpower empowered its effect somehow.

Good thing too, as he was the only member of the crew in a position to stop the guard when he made a break for the door at the back that nobody had noticed. The melted walls made identifying any normal features almost impossible.

The guard, perhaps because of Kray’s size, or his use of a bow, totally ignored him while trying to open the door 5 ft from the little archer. Kray was all too use to this response. It did not help him that the bow was almost taller then he was. It made him look like a child trying to wield an adult bow. Look at the little bird, trying to play at soldier!

As the guard hurled the cup at Crow and grabbed for the door, Kray whipped the full metal studded length of his bow at the man’s feet. The reinforced frame was designed for this type of sideways force, but the man’s leg was not. He crumpled in a heap at the smiling Tengu’s feet.

Ash would not believe this! Look who is tripping people now! With a bow too!

Kray drew a long, javalin-sized (in his little hands anyway arrow and took aim at the man’s head. “Move again, and I will pin you there permanently”

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow sympathized with the pinkie. She would rather take her chances running than allow a group of assassins to tie her up. Better to die quickly then be subjected to whatever a group of strangers would do to a helpless captive.

“Shut it, pig. Jinx, Kray, cover him. Temple please tie up his friend before he wakes, then tie him up too. Move again and you will be wearing these arrows as neck decorations.”

Crow raised her bow and took aim, ready to fire the moment he moved.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple doesn’t even look around at the abortive escape attempt, instead shaking his masked head slowly before turning to stride towards the fallen man, then stooping to shake out a length of rope which he sets about using with genuinely uncomfortable proficiency to bind the prisoner by ankle and wrist, behind his back, very much after the fashion of a hog.

“I would like you to appreciate that it is a throne’s worth of rope I am using on the two of you. Consider that this means that I am investing in the possibility that I shall not have to cut your throat, which would cost nothing and that you are a hireling, with no ideological reason to risk your life further.” he explains as he does so, doubling-up on the rope (since he has twenty-five feet per man available) and then repeating the process on the other, sleeping figure while calmly explaining “I am advocating for this, because I appreciate the possibility that, when you report, others will come to understand that we can be surrendered to. By contrast, if you do attempt to escape now, it will be necessary to make an example of you. And to have what is left of you available to spread that message instead.” – when done, he pats the man happily on the head before rising.

Both being comprehensively gagged with a sock – one of their own – it is not likely that either can answer.

“So, ambush or infiltration? I’m not sure that it’s worth waiting and risking them noticing something amiss, given how many there are down there, but it’s your decision.” he then asks Crow.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
<rose>”Better to go now. Waiting will lead to further surprises. We don’t need the elevator to get down. Can one of you get the boys and fill them in. I will see about this elevator.

As Kray clicked off to get the boys, Crow looked over the device for using the elevator. She wanted to know how to disable it from up here… permanently. She took no action yet, just studied it.

Disable device on the elevator control – 12. Just to see if she can disable it. She will actually disable it when the rest are ready to move. “

It confounds her at first, so she settles in to really give the thing a good examination while Kray makes the long trip out and back.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray pats the man on the head as he leaves ‘Nice try buddy. You almost made it. Should have thrown the cup at me though.”

Kray clicked his way down the tunnel and to the boats. ” Lets do this. The guards are tied up. We are ready to move down the tunnel. Stay out of the water, yeah? Triel has some type of pet horror that lives in the lake.”

Kray filled them in on what the guard told them as they walk back to the shack. He really, really, wanted to tell Ash about the escape attempt, and the trip!, but didn’t want to give Buto and excuse to go off-script and behead the guard. He was literally bouncing on his talons in an attempt to keep from talking about it.

“20 to 50 guards below. But if we go in straight through the main door and hook a left, we can get straight to Triel. Just DON’T touch the water.”

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash listened to Kray‘s account of the capture and interrogation of the guards. Yeah, the elves told us as much about the creature in the lake. No way I‘m settin‘ foot in there. Notwithstanding the mysterious monstrosity in the lake, Ash had had enough with water on their boatride over and had no wish for another water adventure.

Ash began to limber up as he walked with Kray, rolling his shoulders and arms and raising his knees higher than was necessary with each step, working the blood into his muscles. He ran a scaly hand over his scaly limbs and tried to prepare himself mentally to go into battle again. The pain and blood would return. Magical healing was a wonder, and it gave one a sense of hope that any physical injuries done would be wiped away without a trace. The mental injuries, however, were much more persistent, the memories… Ash was still haunted by the strike the Minotaur had landed that had nearly cut him in half. The pain, well it had been so great he could hardly register it, something like the spire that was so incredibly great it almost ceased to be real. The image of the Minotaur, standing above him, moments away from ending his life…that had become a recurring nightmare. Despite his bravado outward, Ash could never quite shake that image. Taking the Minotaur’s head had been his act of revenge, done in anger. Ash hoped that, having that reminder on the wall would help him overcome his feeling of powerlessness, that same feeling he‘d had as a small boy, dropped off at Pent-In. Small, alone, powerless.

But he had survived, and it was the Minotaur who was mounted on a wall. And he would survive today, along with his crew.

Ash gave his head a shake to force out the thoughts and concentrate on Kray‘s clacking. Oh, just 50 of them? I thought this was gonna be a tough job. Why don‘t we just send you in, and the rest of us will enjoy a sandwich up here. Ash gave Kray a brotherly shove in jest as they walked down the tunnel.

When they arrived at the guard house, Ash took stock of the area. Hmm, guards tied up and interrogated thoroughly, but everyone‘s skin is intact. I guess they were cooperative. Or maybe human skin just isn‘t that interesting, eh doc? Ash saw Crow examining something on the wall. Kray had mentioned that Crow wanted to go now, rather than waiting for the guard change, so Ash figured she was looking for a way to take them down. I‘m ready when you are, boss. Let‘s just get this over with.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:44, Wed 13 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Checking the room the guard tried to escape to revealed a room that contained two bunks, a table, and two chairs.

Another door led to a small room containing two weeks rations and drinkable water, along with a sizable stack of replacement planks for the pile by the cage.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow finished locking the elevator when Kray returned with the boys. It would now only be usable from up here, and hopefully only by her. Anyone else who tried to unlock it would just as likely break it permanently. Which was the goal. If they needed to leave in a hurry, best to not give the guards inside an easy way to follow. But, on the off chance they needed to haul any heavy loot back up, it was good to have the option to use the elevator.

“The elevator is locked now. We go down on wings and come back up using the potions from Temple. Triel is in a room just to the side of the main entrance. Buto, Jinx and Kray can hold that room if needed while the rest of us take down the mark. We are not here to loot or raid. This is an execution. One target, one goal. Get in. Kill her. Get out. Yes? “

“Do NOT touch the water. And leave these two alone. They could be useful later. ” She pointed to the hog-tied pigs laid out on the floor.

Crow signaled for Temple, Kray, Ash, and her head down first, with Crow carrying the scaly brawler. Once they are settled at the bottom, she will make sure the area is clear and then head back to get the rest of them.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The large beach was covered with rocks and patches of fitfully growing phosphorescent fungus and algae. More impressive were the stony ruins that protruded from the sheer rock wall along the beach’s western edge. The architecture of the ruins seemed melted and somehow intimidating. Whatever creatures built these dwellings were obviously inhuman or alien in nature.

A small building made of wood sat apart from the stone structures; the ropes descending from the ledge on the opposite side of the lake attached to a second winch on the side of that building.

There were a few doors into the stone structure, but no windows.

The waters of the large lake glowed softly with thick, ropy, glowing algae. Now and then tiny curbs of steam rose from the lake, filling the area with a cloying stink of soggy plant matter. The surface of the water rippled now and again, but it was impossible to tell if these ripples come from underwater currents welling up from below, or from something more sinister…

The smell of rotting vegetation was mingled with the stench of death, rot and decay.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:08, Wed 13 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray watched Crow grab onto leather straps weaved through Ash’s armor and lift the 7ft giant easily into the air. He had seen this before, many times, but his sister’s strength never ceased to amaze him.

Kray waved to the group left at the top of the cliff and lept off the edge. This was potentially problematic for others lacking Crow’s wings, but Kray had his own physiological quirks. He was very light, and given his think plumage, had a high surface area to weight ratio. He still fell, but he just did it more slowly than others. The little archer flattened himself and spread his arms and legs. He looked a lot like a feathered flying squirrel

Take 10 on a flight check for 20 result, beating the 15DC for Feather Fall.

He landed a little after his sister and brother, and tucked himself into the alcove Crow had selected for them. He held his bow at the ready, hoping it wouldn’t be needed before the rest were ferried down to join them.

Crow and Kray look and listen for any signs that they mad been observed, and if there are any alarms or traps near them. Kray Perception – 13, Stealth 22, Crow Perception – 36, Stealth 18,

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash took in the glowing water below for the first time as he flew, clutched in Crow‘s talons, over the lake. The glowing….whatever it was, gave the whole cavern a dreamlike appearance, only heightened by the buildings that appear to have melted. Nothing about this cave was normal.

Once Crow deposited Ash on the beach, he took up a spot in the alcove Crow pointed out and was soon joined by Kray. Ash signaled to his feathered brother You cover that side, I‘ll watch this way. Ash took up a spot against a wall, peeking around the edge of the wall to watch for anyone coming. He pressed himself close to the wall and waited for the others to join him.

Perception – 23

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Once the group was down on the beach in front of the stone structure, built into the very side of the cavern’s walls, they could see another beach across the water from them that would turn anyone’s stomach. Maybe not Temple’s…

That beach was horrifying. Thick carpers of pale fungus intermingle with sheets of clotted blood and partially destroyed entrails and body parts. The entire place reeked of decay.

They could also see another tunnel broke the cavern walls and curved out of sight, seemingly filled from water from the lake.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:29, Wed 13 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

“It’s not difficult to source and it makes for a poor book binding.” the doctor replies amenably when Ash questions him, moving out to the line and – with a little of his uncanny ability to climb up seemingly sheer surfaces – descends it overhand, ending up down on the beach with a thoughtful expression, “It wasn’t clear how extensive that filth was before.” he notes, indicating the beach before quietly advancing, placing his ear by the door at the bottom of the winch line.

If he hears nothing, he’ll check the other doors along the beach too, notably looking to see if they open in or out as well.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Once it is clear the beach is clear and there is nobody about to spot them, Crow will begin to ferry the other 3 from cliff above.

120ft per 6 seconds, let’s say 4 rounds per trip, so just a little over a minute to get everyone down. Call it 2 mins

Crow eyed the rest of the area, especially the other beach, and shook her head. focus. one target.

She crepted to the main door and listened to see if there was noise that could make it through the thick stone slab.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch enjoyed his trip down to the beach. The few times he had been flown by Crow before it was only a short trip so this was much more fun. He did hope that Crow wouldn’t drop him in the lake. Not only did it sound terrible but the smell and the sight of what was there almost turned his stomach and that says a lot!!

Once he and Jinx were down they followed directions on where to position themselves for what was next.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto was LANDED upon the beach by Crow who somehow managed not to huff too much under the payload. Buto did not enjoy the trip, as he preferred solid earth under his feet, but he did approve of the effectiveness of the maneuver.

Once he was back on land, Buto found a spot in a small alcove near one of the doors and waited for Crow and Temple to complete their survey of the entrances. Buto kept his eyes open and his axe at the ready, in case any guards appeared.

Perception Check – 25

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 09:54, Fri 15 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Drifting from door to door, listening Temple then glides back to where Crow is shifting people and – at one of the points where she’s on the beach – explains The doors are stone and all rotate around a central post, opening on both sides. They can be spiked to block them readily enough, two spikes per door. What say I close off all beach entrances except the one we’re going to use?

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow was slow to respond to the slim man, distracted by events occurring only in her mind.

She scanned the area closely, looking for any sign of the source of her troubles.

Perception – 34

“Careful, there is some ill magic trying to affect us. Do what you can but be careful.”

Crow then looked at each of her companions closely, looking for signs of enchantment or magical malady.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray took a moment to mutter a quick prayer while holding his necklace. His sister’s words had him concerned. Magical traps were something they were poorly trained to handle.

cast detect magic. Look around at the building, water, and companions for signs of malicious magic.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash stayed near the wall as Temple went to work spiking the doors closed. He prepared to spring into action, should someone come out of the door. Ash readies and action to chard the door nearest him in case someone comes out. Buto also readies an action to charge the door nearest him.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Temple heard nothing at the winch building’s doors. He moved to the next doors nearest him, nearly at the center of the structure, but again heard nothing.

Buto, Crow and Kray looked about the complex and in the water, but saw nothing amiss. No magic glowed to their dectection spells either.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Experimentally, Temple attempts to wedge (not hammer) a piton into one of the doors, seeing if there’s room enough to do so – looking to seal off the beach from the interior before they press on.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch hadn’t felt anything but at the mention of something being out there he was on edge.

He readied an action to attack anything that might come out to fight.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx had likewise cast detect magic and looked about the complex for anything out of the ordinary. When she saw nothing she prepared herself for whatever was to come.

Readies herself to hex something that comes out.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow knelt by the door, watching Temple move around the doors, sealing one after the other. She could have helped him… she might have even done it faster, but she felt rooted to the spot. Something knew they were there. Something was waiting to act, and she didn’t want to be focused on disabling a door when it did.

And, she would have been distracted and made mistakes. So she waited. One eye on the thin man, pitons sliding through spindly fingers like a spider spinning a web. The other eye was on the lake. Both ears were on the door in front of her. Listening for any movement or conversation on the other side.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
After Kray noticed no sign of magic aura or activity… or activity of any kind, he padded closer to his sister and took up a vantage point near her. He set himself so he was able to cover her at the door and also defend the group from anything coming from the other doors. That was the advantage of a good bow. You don’t have to pick priorities. Priorities can be picked as they are presented… as targets.

Crow’s proximity to the main door concerned him to no end. Should anything come out that door, she would be right in the line of fire. He readied himself to protect her if that happened.

Ready to attack anything that attacks Crow through the door

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Everyone was focused on the doors in front of them, waiting to rush in. No warning came before scalding hot water blasted out from the water’s edge. The group looked over to see the head of something that look like a cross between a dragon and some kind of lizard, but sporting razor sharp teeth in its large mouth. Its head had sprayed the scalding water over the group, while the rest of its body was still hidden beneath the water and fungus atop the lake. The head was covered in scales, and was likely the size of Buto’s torso.

Cone centered on the head got Kray, Jinx, Ash & Buto. Reflex Save DC 16 for half of 13
Crow was too far, Cruch was protected by the building, and Temple is down by the doors.

Roll Initiative

Creature: 6

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:53, Sun 17 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx was keeping watch of the doors but hadn’t seen the thing rise out of the water. It was too late for her as the hot water splashed onto her flesh searing it slightly. She thankfully was able to pull up her cloak in time to not be hit completely though.

Jinx moved to put the building between her and the beast. She then thought to the others, “I thought that thing wasn’t supposed to attack on the beach?”

23:50, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 15 using d20+11. Jinx initiative.
23:55, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 17 using 1d20+6. reflex save.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Having only just begun to seal the doors, Temple finishes the one he’s working on (no sense getting hit from behind) before turning to move back towards the group, keeping low and as well-hidden as he can manage while trying to get a look at the thing that’s provoking the assault.

[Private to GM: 01:16, Today: Temple rolled 6 using 1d20. Identifying monsters from quite a long way away.
That’s Arcana: 17, Dungeoneering 11, Nature 19.
]

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–

Reflex save: 17 – Success take 6 DMG
Initiative – 13
AC:21 HP:38

This message was last edited by the player at 02:14, Mon 18 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–

Reflex Save: 12 Failed – Take 8 DMG (13-5 for racial elemental resist)
Initiative: 9
AC 20. HP: 43

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Reflex – 13, failed. Init – 12

Kray – HP 14, AC 19, Init – 12

Kray, focused on dangers coming from the inside was thoroughly unprepared for the steam bath and so ended up halfway to a duck confit

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–

Crow – HP 37, AC 18, Init – 17

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow was almost relieved. Honestly, she was. She had an itch between her wings this whole time about this sea creature, and it had just kept getting worse. Now at least there was a tangible “face” to this threat and it was about to eat sharp steel.

She did some very quick math in her head even as she pulled the first arrow from her quiver. One, that steam attack had a set range, and it was not longer than she or Kray could accurately shoot a bow. Two, it had been a silent attack, which meant that most of the guards inside could possibly be unaware that the crew was there. Three, something had still tried to use magic on her… so, she might still be in range of some of its abilities, disproving thought one. Or, someone inside the buildings had cast something at her… disproving thought two.

Using hand signals, low sounds, and pure mental will, Crow conveyed her attack plan to the group. This was usually something she left for Ash, but not this time. Kray move back and help me shoot it. Temple, lock those doors down QUICKLY. The rest, use your powder to silence the doors and get out of range. 60 ft, I say. Crutch, Jinx, you got me if this door opens. Yes?

With that, Crow loosed an arrow at the creature. She had a feeling it wouldn’t stick around long if it took a good pop to the nose. Most creatures liked food that didn’t fight back. She took her time, not rapidly firing, to make sure it got a nose full of steel, wood, and feather.

Bull’s eye shot on gap dragon. Hit AC 30 for 12 magical damage.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash looked up just in time to see the beast’s head rise out of the water, but before he could so much as make a sound, a steaming spray of water erupted from the thing. Ash must have been right at the edge of the thing’s range, for the steam just barely caught him, slightly burning his arm. (Reflex save made, took 6 dmg

Ash caught Crow’s sign, looks like she was in the mood for a fight. Not really the way Ash would have gone, but he trusted in Crow’s instincts in all things, even in moments when he verbally, and quite effusively, argued against her. She’d led him a lot further than his own scaled feet would have gotten on their own, that’s for sure.

Ash backed as far into the alcove as possible, signaling in their hand language for Buto to join him. As he retreated, Ash unhooked the light crossbow he carried. He was certainly not a specialist with bows and crossbows, but he’d trained with Crow and Kray a fair amount. He took aim at the beast, judging the range as best he could, and loosed a bolt.

Rolled a 19 CRIT! Hit AC 27. Crit Confirm: Hit AC 16. If a Crit, beast takes 6 DMG, if not, 4.

The bolt flew true, right towards the beast’s eye. Ash couldn’t tell if the bolt actually caught the beast in the eye, or just stuck in the scales nearby. Ash thought to himself, Not bad for a boxer, if I do say so.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto did not see the beast, and only turned once the boiling water hit him. Much of the heat seemed to dissipate as it hit his skin, something to do with his Suli lineage, he knew, for Teyefe had told him much about his people, even if he never had met another one since his father had abandoned him at Pent-In. Elements can touch you, Buto, but your people, magical in nature, have natural resistances to most of them. You are lucky in this regard, even if life has penalized you in so many other ways.. (Failed Reflex save, took 8 DMG)

Buto caught Crow’s message, and then Ash’s, and, for a wonder, did as he was asked, first throwing the sack of silence powder toward the door nearest him, and then falling back deep into the alcove. He kept his axe at the ready, for Buto, ever stubborn on this point, carried no bows. Shooting at someone from a distance, undoubtedly effective, was too cowardly an approach for him, who preferred to stare his opponent directly in the eyes when he ended their life.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:11, Wed 20 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
ray did not stop to judge or weigh the wisdom of Crow’s nonverbal directions. He merely followed them, two bows working in seamless rhythm. That was their way, and it made them deadly and effective.

Kray back peddled into the corner next to his sister, hoping it kept him from another steam bath. He had a quick choice to make… heal his singed hide or empower his bow strike. Eyeing the watery cover the creature was using to hide most of it’s body, he focused his magical power through his hands and into the fibers of his bow… the raw magic of willpower converting to racing electricity as it entered the bow, coursed through the string, and into the arrow.

Shift action to add shock to bow. Move and shoot at the creature.
Hit(?) AC 19 for 8 magic and 5 electric damage.

“You fry me with steam, I fry you with lightning. “

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jin had moved behind the building and peeked around the corner. She called to the thing soothingly and with such a sweet voice hoping it would put it to sleep. “Now now little beastie, leave us alone and go to sleepie.” Jinx ducked back behind the building after she said the words.

Use slumber on the thing DC21 will save or fall asleep

This message was last edited by the player at 10:55, Wed 20 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch was about to cast a spell on himself but held his action to see what the creature would do before he did anything.

Delaying till after the creature.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group didn’t receive any clear indication if their attacks, or spells, were effective. However, the monster did slip beneath the muck floating atop the surface of the water.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple doesn’t throw his bag… But the reason for that is two-fold: He’s over a hundred feet from where the fight is taking place and he’s out of line of sight of the conflict, abrogating the possibility of hand-sign doing much to communicate with him.

Instead, he glides quietly up to the next door, slipping two more pitons from his kit and dropping to one knee to slide them into place as soon as he can.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow lowered her bow and put an ear to the door, trying to listen for sign that they were heard through the door. It was heavy stone, and there had been no shouting for noisy explosions. Crow also thought that, if those inside had heard the monsters, they would not want to come see what it was doing. She guessed most of the piggies were nervous about interacting too much with the watery decisions of the lake.

She gestured for the group to stay away from the lake, then waited for one of two things: either some sound from inside to indicate the jig was up, or Temple to finish blocking the doors.

Perception 18 – listening at the door –

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash, and Buto alike, held their position. Ash readied another crossbow bolt in case the thing emerged from the water again, and Buto kept his axe at the ready, in case one of the doors opened.

The boys both ready actions

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx knew that her hex had not stuck on the thing and she said through their bond, “I didn’t put it to sleep, it must be hiding so you don’t stick arrows in it any longer.”

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch was getting antsy and was about to go after the beast in the water when Jinx told everyone that the thing wasn’t put to sleep. There went his idea of going for a dip…

“We need to get inside before it comes back again!” Crush said as he rubbed his hands together waiting for a fight.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray, after tucking himself behind the elevator room, took a moment to cure his signed feathers before returning to covering the door in front of Crow, readying an arrow to lash anyone that came through it.

Blessing of healing to empower cure spell. 14 healing. Full health

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow hated waiting on the beach, exposed to whatever had try to enchant her, and that creature. She made a decision and silently communicated it to the crew.
Gather up, we go through now. Cruch, get Temple.

She readied a bad of silence, and gestured for Ash and Jinx to have theirs ready too. She didn’t know how big the rooms were in there, but they could at least hit the doors with the bags to limit the sound from escaping the room.

Once they were all together, she will enter the room quietly. If there is anyone inside, she will lob a bag at the nearest door, expecting Ash and Jinx to do the same for other doors.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The ceiling of the large room rose to a 40-foot-high dome above; the floor was polished smooth.

Water from condensation ran down the walls, and a pair of large braziers to the northeast and southeast provided smoky light.

A long table with a dozen chairs dominated the center of the room.

Directly across the table from them sat a large pair of double doors. Then a single door sat in the middle of the left wall, and another single door was in the wall to the right of the double doors.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Even knowing where Temple is, it takes a moment to find the man blurring along the sands at a smooth gliding pace, but fortunately he’s coming back after having sealed the two southern doors (one of which regrettably, leads into the room they’ve opened). As the melding colours of his coat fade, he silently points to the two braziers, then makes the ‘killing’ gesture from their little lexicon, plainly inquiring if they should make it darker by putting them out.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
After joining Crow at the door, Ash pulled out the bag of powder Temple had given him. He couldn’t begin to fathom how this little sack of what amounted to black sand could stop sound from traveling. He didn’t doubt Temple, he just couldn’t understand. But the world is full of strange things, and Ash’s limited experience with much of it, especially things magical or alchemical, meant he had a great deal yet to learn.

He readied himself to throw the bag, should it be necessary, though for the moment he did not see anyone in the room. Ash signaled his agreement to Temple’s suggestion that they put out the braziers. Ash prepared himself for Crow’s word to move, determined that they would stay together this time, holding that thought in his head to stave off his natural instinct to charge and attack. Instead, he focused on the group, some friends, some merely companions for the time being, and concentrated his thoughts on keeping them, and himself for that matter, in one piece. Flex Feat: Deflect Arrows

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto moved, just a few steps behind Ash’s scaly-green hide, and joined the others at the door, hopefully out of the range of the monster in the lake. Buto much preferred a devil he could see and, hopefully, smash with his axe, than one who hid in a lake and only appeared when your back was turned. To that end, Buto kept his eyes on the lake and the northern doors as Crow worked on the door, trusting (incredible that he could bring himself to trust anyone even such a tiny bit) that she would call out if his attention (read: axe) was needed at the entrance.

If the creature surfaces again or anyone comes out of the door he can see, Buto will signal the group.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
One thing that didn’t sit well with Cruch was that when he went into battle he made lots of noise. They were not wanting noise and that would make it very difficult for him to bring up his battle song to strengthen the others and himself. He knew though when push came to shove, he would be singing loudly! For now, he would let the others be stealthy. This of course benefited his sister whom loved the darkness.

Cruch moved to the door and readied to go inside when the all-clear was given.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
That damn creature had evaded her hex and sunk back into its domain of disgusting water. It was a good thing it didn’t fight more so they could get on with their mission.

Once Crow had opened the door, Jinx was ready. She saw the simple movement by Temple as he signaled to douse the light. She preferred it that way as she could easily see in the dark. She would ready herself to put someone to sleep first sign of any life in the room.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray took the suggestion from Temple and hustled to the near brazier, dosing the fire with the contents of a water skin. He would do better away from the doors anyway. He focused his attention on the two far doors, knowing Ash and Buto could handle the one to the North.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Temple/s suggestion was a good one, and Crow flew to the southern brazier, putting it out with a waterskin once Buto and Ash were in place at the northern door. She silently communicated to Temple, Lock down that western door if you can.

She then quickly flew to the southern door and saw if it would be easy and quiet to lock it.

Disable device – lack/bar southern door. -17

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group moved around the room, performing their tasks. None of these doors appeared to have locks, so they used their piton plan to prevent the doors from pivoting.

Dumping water on the brazier indeed put out the light and fire, but it also produced a large amount of smoke. Thenkfully the room was large enough it didn’t obscur their vision.

On the right wall, which sat at a 45 degree angle to the adjoining walls, sat the door the guard had indicated they should proceed through to get to Triel’s rooms. It also seemed to posess no locking mechanism, and would swivel on the central axis.

Let me know if you didn’t want to do this yet, but I went ahead and posted.

Pivoting the portal revealed an empty chamber which was strangely shaped. No furnishings or artwork adorned the room, save for a thick layer of dust on the floor. Down a short and narrow hallway, they could see another door.

[Private to GM: Trap: This trap is triggered whenever the door in the northwest comer of the room is opened. Dozens of holes then open in the ceiling and floor, and a forest of rapier-thin poison spikes lance out of these holes to impale anything in the room. The spikes retract into the wall and the door closes itself after 1 round, at which point the trap automatically resets.

Poison Spike Trap: CR 5; mechanical; touch trigger; automatic reset; Atk +16 melee (1d8 +4 plus poison, spike); multiple targets (all creatures in area K33); poison (Medium spider venom, Fortitude save, DC 14, resists, 1d4 Str/1d6 Str); Search (DC 17); Disable Device (DC 21).]

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:08, Sun 24 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash signaled to the group in their hand language, Lot of dust on the floor. Doesn’t look like anyone has been here in awhile.

But, at this point, there was no going back. Either Triel was in here, or she wasn’t. Or maybe she could fly, or teleport, or some other odd magical method of transportation that allowed her to bypass this area without disturbing the dust. Ash took a long look in the room, searching for anything that might look like a trap. Perception: 29

As he looked, he also sent a question to Crow in their hand-language. Could be trapped. Fly and look?

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash didn’t naturally have the skills that Crow had in finding and disabling traps. He had seen her do it many times, and, as with many things, if Ash has seen a thing, he can often repeat it, albeit in his own way.

Ash peered across the dust.covered floor, looking for the little indentations or variances in the flooring, or the layout of the tiles, a slight depression in one, or something ever-so out-of-level. But here he could see nothing of the sort. Just a hallway that had not been traversed for a long time. If Triel was here, then she did not use this passage to get in and out.

Ash sent a signal back to the group No traps, moving in. Ash moved steadily into the room, his eyes flitting from wall to wall, awaiting an ambush to be sprung. He moved forward, waiting for the others to join before he moved to the next door.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Continuing to move quietly, Temple concentrates upon taking out sources of illumination as they advance.

OOC: While his player has limited availability. Back home tomorrow!

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx stayed out in the main room with Cruch while Ash checked the room ahead. It didn’t seem like a big room so it wouldn’t be long before they all moved forward.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray advanced into the room. The dust gave him serious concerns, but it was too late to worry about that now. He took up a postion to cover Ash and Crow as they checked the next door.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Once finished with the Door, Crow flew through the next room and hovered near the door, her sharp eyes, magnified many times by the think goggles, scanned for any sign of traps.

Perception – 23. If she finds no traps, she also checks the door to see if if it is locked.

Why so much dust? No one has been this way for a long time. Yes?

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
“It’s clean, no traps. Ash, Buto, open it up. Kray and I will cover you .”

And Jinx too, of course. The witch would be the best of them.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
With the word from Crow, Ash glanced back to make sure that the group was ready to go. He, for his own right, took a deep breath and recalled the technique he had used before, the one that had saved his life fighting Tongueater, and that he most favored when going in somewhere blind. Ash enters Snake Style and concentrated on the act of catching incoming missiles. He had the reflexes to do it, but it always helped to imagine the act.

Once they appeared, each in their own way, ready, Ash opened the door.

Ash will wait until everyone is gathered, and then he will open the door. He is prepared to defend himself with Deflect Arrows and Snake Style

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
As Ash rotated the door, it triggered something. Dozens of holes opened in the ceiling and the floor, and a forest of rapier-thin spikes stabbed out of the holes to impale anything in the room. The spikes seemed to be attached to something, as they didn’t fly, but remained in place, like the entire room was a pincussion.

OOC: Everyone that took damageroll a DC 14 Fort Save against poison.

Failing the save results in 1d4 Str/1d6 Str

Additionally, after 1 round, the door will automatically close and the spikes retract, the holes closing.

Name | Hit AC | Damage
Crow | 33 | 9
Ash | 27 | 6
Kray | 17 | 11
Buto | 32 | 6

[Private to GM: 4d20 ((17,11,1,16))
4d8 ((5,2,7,2))

The spikes retract into the wall and the door closes itself after 1 round, at which point the trap automatically resets.

Poison Spike Trap: CR 5; mechanical; touch trigger; automatic reset; Atk +16 melee (1d8 +4 plus poison, spike); multiple targets (all creatures in area K33); poison (Medium spider venom, Fortitude save, DC 14, resists, 1d4 Str/1d6 Str); Search (DC 17); Disable Device (DC 21).]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:32, Thu 28 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
Temple has very much been playing tail-end-charlie for the group thus far, bringing up the rear as he keeps track of doors sealed, light sources extinguished and monsters evaded… All of which certainly pays off for him as he isn’t around when the spikes fly, although not through any particular virtue of his own and he hastens forward when he hears it, hands naturally moving to the assorted medical and alchemical supplies he’s carrying as he checks on his colleagues, utilising where necessary an extremely unpleasant device which makes use of a fine steel spigot and a squeeze-bulb to sluice out deep, penetrating wounds with something that burns only marginally less unpleasantly than alchemists fire.

Treat Poison: To treat poison means to tend to a single character who has been poisoned and who is going to take more damage from the poison (or suffer some other effect). Every time the poisoned character makes a saving throw against the poison, you make a Heal check. If your Heal check exceeds the DC of the poison, the character receives a +4 competence bonus on his saving throw against the poison.

It is not, in fact possible for Temple to fail to give you a +4 bonus on your second saving throw.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Snake Style AC: 29, dart misses..barely

Ash pushed open the door, which turned easily on the offset rod, just as all the others had. Just as the door swung fully open, a tingling sense caused Ash to jump, narrowly avoiding spikes that poked out of the ground; he simultaneously ducked, just avoiding another set of spikes that leapt out of the ceiling. All in all, Ash looked less like a snake and more like a scared cat as he jumped.

There must have been a device connected to the rod of the door that triggered the spikes. Ash thought to himself, for Crow had thoroughly checked the door, itself. As he saw the spikes retract, Ash was struck by the thought that the trap might reset and re-fire if they let the door close. Quickly, he placed himself in the doorway and signaled to Crow with their hand language. Door. Piton.

Ash looked beyond into the next room, already scanning for threats. Pereception check: Nat 20! Total 31

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto’s focus was entirely on the door, so he didn’t notice the holes opening around him until something pierced his foot, causing him to leap up and dance around on one leg for a moment as pain stabbed through his foot into his lower leg. In other circumstances, Buto’s pogo-dance might have been comical.

The poison from the spike was forced into Buto’s body where it was quickly burned away by his hot, Suli blood. Fort Save: 23 – Success

Limping slightly, Buto moved toward the door, the pain beginning to fuel his anger. He would try to keep it at bay, but he could already feel Zhin’s lessons of control beginning to fade into red. Just. Breath. Just. Breath. There will be time for the axe, soon, but not yet.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
The sharp spike took Crow in the shoulder, driving her down and really annoying her. What? Where did these come from. She could see the wire now that the door was open, and flew down, to lock the door open.

Disable device – 19. Fort save – 12, d4 – 2 str

She could feel something sapping her strength and knew those spike had been more like needles. As she worked on the door, she waived at Temple that she needed his aid.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray’s new armour, all hexagonal ceramic plates, took the blows from the spikes and turned them away from his ebony plumage. Good. He was already roasted, he didn’t need to be skewered too. Although, usually that happened the other way around, or so he had heard.

Kray decided that this was no longer the place to be, and advanced into the room ahead, navigating the through the spikes carefully but quickly. He waived to Temple and Jinx that he was fine and took up a position in the new room.

This message was last updated by the GM at 10:59, Fri 29 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Crow was able to block the door from closing, which kept the spikes extended into the room, which would make moving through it very difficult. But at least they could see them and pick their way through the room carefully.

The room beyond the now stuck door contained what looked like supplies. There were boxes of dried food rations and several large barrels which contained what seemed to be drinking water. For the first time, they discovered a locking mechanism on a door. A stone slab which appeared to rotate on the center axis like all the others, this door had a key hole on one side which looked much newer than anything else they had seen in the complex.

OOC: Open Lock DC 30

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray noticed Crow gesture for Temple’s aid and fished a potion out of his bag. ‘Here, take this.

Gave Crow potion of Delay Poison

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow knelt to examine the lock while drinking the potion given to her by Kray. She immediately felt stronger. ” Thank you, nestmate. That helps. We need to be full strength. Yes?

She vaguely remembered something about it being a temporary effect, but she was too focused on the lock to pay it much attention.

Temple, I need your assistance. This lock is very complicated. Have a look.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
As soon as Crow had secured the door, Ash was on the move. He gave a quick signal back to Cruch and Jinx, move your asses, watch out for the pointy decor. Then he was by his adopted brother’s side, covering Crow’s back as she began to work on the next door. It must have been something special, because she called the Doc over to take a look with her. Unusual. Everything felt off about this job, which is par for the course for most of their jobs, but nevertheless disconcerting.

A funny thought struck him and Ash pointed toward Crow as he signed to Kray, This would be a good moment for one of those gods you’re forever blathering on about to lend us some aid, don’t you think? The Nagaji smiled to himself for his little joke, though the small grin never touched his eyes.

Ash scanned the room continuously as he waited, searching the various goods, most likely brought by the very elves they had questioned the previous day.

Perception:12 looking for anyone hiding amongst the goods stored in the room.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto followed the others into the room taking up a position in one corner where he could see the door. He watched as Crow fidgeted with the lock, taking longer than usual. He almost jokingly offered his services as a locksmith, but bit back on the comment, surprisingly.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

“Surgery, yes. Alchemy, yes. Going up sheer surfaces, executing someone and removing their liver, yes. Lock-picking, no sadly. I am afraid that even I have my limits.” Temple murmurs softly as he too, advances upon Crow and carefully cleans her wounds, looking to ensure that the venom running through her system has less of a chance to impact her when the potion wears off.

OOC: Didn’t have the points left over for Disable Device as well. Maybe as-and-when his Intelligence goes up. ^_^

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch heard his friends call out in either pain or surprise when the trap was sprung. He looked in the room and saw the sharp spear-like things protruding from the floor and ceiling once Ash had stood in front of the door blocking it. Once they pitoned the door Cruch could see it would be possible to make it to the other side but it wouldn’t be easy.

Then came another problem. A locked door that Crow couldn’t open?? How was that possible? She was the best they had at lockpicking. “I can give you guidance to help a little but beyond that I can’t help any.”

Cruch will cast guidance to help with the lockpicking. Then he will aid Crow giving an additional +3 total with guidance.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:08, Sat 30 Dec 2023.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow was suprised Temple was unable to assist, but she guessed he was better working on internal organs than internal gears. That thought made her shiver. Cruch came to her aid, and while he held the pick in place she worked the tumblers. It was quite a lock. She could feel some slight external force directing her… nudging her toward the right spot. She didn’t like it, but she used it.

Disable device – 28

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash had to actively THINK about NOT tapping his foot in impatience as Crow worked the lock. She was usually quick with these things, and his blood was already pumping with adrenaline, which made him even less patient than usual.

FInally there were a series of unhealthy clicks from the lock and it seemed to open. Ash retook the lead, looking over his shoulder to ensure the rest were ready before he pushed open the next door. Flex Feat: Deflect Arrows, open door

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
While he waited for Crow to finish with the lock, Buto stepped over to Jinx and signed her a message. Steam. Spikes. Do you have your healing wand? Buto then showed her the places on his arms and at his shoulder where he had been burned and stabbed. assuming Jinx will heal Buto, he will be ready to join the others once the lock is opened.

Once the lock was opened, Buto prepared himself to follow Ash through, hefting his axe in his hand and gritting his teeth in anticipation.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx followed behind Cruch as he moved forward into the delay room. She watched her steps carefully and finally made it to Buto. He was bleeding in many spots from the trap that had sprung and so with a nod from him she had pulled out the wand to take care of the wounds. “Let me heal you both up some, oh and try not to step on the spikes or hit your head either!” Jinx eyed Buto and Ash as she spoke softly.

16:53, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 16 using 4d8. –
16:53, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 10 using 4d8. Cure light wounds use as many as we need. –

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
When Ash opened the door, it revealed a hallway which went down a ways, then made a right hand turn. A door was mounted in the wall on their left, then two moor doors were in the hallway after it turned to the right. Both the nearest door, and the first on the right had locks which looked nearly identical to the one Crow just fought through. However, the one at the end of the hallway on the right seemed to posess no lock.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

It occurs that we may have done well to check which doors they were actually using… Temple remarks as he lurks towards the rear of things in an effort to avoid getting skewered should another trap go off, not least because after providing basic medical treatment the general arrangement of the place mitigates against his being able to offer much assistance.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow followed Ash into the room and, taking Temple’s advice, inspected the doors and room for any signs of recent use. If this was used as an entry way, there would have to be signs. She also made a point to look for any holes or apertures that could indicate another surprise. She had a nasty gash in her back, between her wings, from the spikes, but was too focused on the task to think to ask Jinx for healing.

Perception – 30, Survival(tracking) – 31(nat 20)

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray followed Crow into the room and took up a spot where he could cover all the doors with bow. Seeing that his sister was both too focused on scanning the room and perhaps a bit befuddled by the poison to direct the crew, he took the lead with a few gestures.

Jinx, can you look at Crow’s injury. Buto, Ash, let’s cover those doors so we don’t get surprised. Cruch, Temple, we keeping watch on our backtrail? Once Crow picks a path, the two giants can lead the way.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
It was obvious this hallway was much more heavily trafficked. There was little to no dust, and what dust was present occupied the edges where feet tended to trod irregularly. The center of the path was worn smooth by traffic. The locks on the two doors looked new, like the one Crow had picked (aka destroyed).

No holes were visible in the ceiling or floor like they had encountered, to painful effect, in the previous room.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx moved over to Crow and Kray and looked over both their wounds. Both were bleeding from multiple wounds. Crow’s looked more severe though and she seemed to be more weak. She had been poisoned and was feeling the effects already. “I can heal you some with the wand but I can’t help with the poison.”

ooc: I rolled a bunch of wand heals already. Not sure how many Buto and Ash used. If you need more let me know.

22:28, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 17 using 5d8 with rolls of 5,1,1,5,5

This message was last edited by the player at 16:29, Tue 02 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash moved forward to the unlocked door. Crow hadn’t indicated which door she wanted to go through, but he had a feeling she wasn’t interested in fighting another lock at the moment. He waited for her to check the door and give the signal to move through.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto, beginning to grumble with impatience, shoved himself down the narrow corridor and took up a position between the two locked doors, in easy reach of both, should someone decide to come through them.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
“Worry not about the poison, Jinx. Kray’s potion will delay it for several hours. By then, we will be dead, or gone. Yes?

Crow used 9 healing

“The doors are clean. We take the unlocked door. Ash, Kray will cover you, and Buto will follow you through. I will be ready with a silence bag.

Crow took up a position in the behind Ash, ready to throw the bad should the room be occupied.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
WIth Crow’s direction, Ash opened the door.

OOC: Ash will open the door and prepare himself to deflect any incoming missiles

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch looked over his shoulder to make sure Temple was near and whispered, “I think we need to block a few more doors. Are you mapping this place out so we don’t get lost or come across one of the doors we pitoned on accident?” Cruch said this while he too was moving up the hallway towards the locked doors.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Ash opened the door a crack which revelaed a door immediately to the right, and a wall that extended away. He opened it a bit farther and saw a table overturned with chairs littering the side of the table, blocking easy movement around it. Finally, he opened the door all the way to see the room was basically divided in half, more chairs on the far side of the table, forming an ad hock wall. Ash knew what was coming and wasn’t surprised at all when heads popped up over the table.

He also noticed another door directly across the room which was already pivoted open that revealed a hallway leading out of the room they discovered.

The first person popped over and threw a vial at Ash which exploded into a ball of fire, the second threw a small bag that tried to stick him into place, then the other two did the mundane and simply shot arrows at him.

Hit AC | Attack
10 Fire (only take 1 point of fire damage since a 10 definitely misses)
23 Tanglefoot Bag (Ranged touch attack. An entangled creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed.)
13 Bow
18 Bow

Initiative: they rolled a 4, so I’m sure you can all go before them.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:14, Thu 04 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
Temple nods at the question, indicating the route they’ve taken and pointing in two directions, one after the other as he slips up the passage, two more pitons slipping into his hand which he kneels to set into the left-most door, securing it against further intrusion Each one. My concern is that the trap may have set of an… clatter, thwomp, splat, twangtwang …alarm.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash’s first peek through the door didn’t show much. He waited, listening for a moment, but he could not hear much through the small crack; torches crackling mostly, so he pushed the door open wider, but not fully. Now he could see the ambush. The overturned table was a familiar tactic. There would be 3 or 4 archers behind it, waiting. He sent back a signal to the group Overturned table. Archers. Move quickly

That was it, and then he pushed the door open.

Apparently it had been 4 archers based on the number of attacks, but this group had more than arrows at the ready. The first one threw some kind of burning vial which splashed against the wall to the left of Ash, missing him almost completely. Takes 1 pt Fire DMG.

The second through a tanglefoot bag at him. Ash knew these from a previous encounter with one. On their long ride to the Inn he had spoken to Temple about what they were and had learned much. Luckily for Ash, the throw was more of a lob than a fast ball, and he swatted the bag away before it exploded, sending it flying into one of the sets of chairs. Snake Style AC 27 avoids the ranged touch attack of the bag

The two archers fired, but they must have been as nervous as their companions or slightly blinded from the fire, for both missed, the first firing wide left of Ash, the arrow clanging off of the stones. The second nearly hit Ash, but the arrowhead clipped the edge of the rotating door, sending the shaft of course and clattering onto the floor. Both attacks missed.

Ash Init 14

Once their initial barrage was over, Ash took his own advice move quickly and shot into the room, directly at the middle of the table, pressing his shoulder into the wood to force it slightly off the floor, allowing him to get his fingers under it. With all his incredible strength, (now also further increased by that wondrous belt they had found not long ago), Ash flipped the table over, exposing the archers behind it. OOC: Ash can lift over 500 pounds, and depending on the weight of the table, should be able to throw it 10 or 20 feet, which should be enough to flip it over.

Ash tried to remember the code names they had come up with, but he had not been paying enough attention that day, as usual, so he did his best.Umm, Wings, Feathers, fill these knobs full o’ arrows, will ya? Blue Meanie…kill!

This message was last edited by the player at 01:05, Thu 04 Jan.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
When the door opened and things started to happen, Buto knelt down into an almost sprinter stance. As soon as Ash moved his scaly hide out of the way, Buto shot through the door. He’d gotten the message about archers. There were pieces of arches laying in an inn somewhere that would likely never fully be cleaned out of the woodwork. That’s what Buto did with archers.

For a moment there was a table between them, and then suddenly four very surprised-looking men were crouching in front of him, fumbling at their gear in panic as their shelter disappeared. Good snake

Buto brought his axe down on one of the two in the middle. Hit AC 19 for 23 dmg.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:14, Thu 04 Jan.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 16, AC 18, HP 37

All that effort, and these guys… PIGS!… knew they were coming and had set up an ambush. No point in being quiet now… speed was the key. Crow was trying to figure out the best way to get at the barricaded piglets when Ash ripped off their protective blanket. Well done fork tongue

The archers were her first target, easiest to target around Buto and Ash’s bulk. As she launched arrows at the one to the far right of the formation, she knew 2 more arrows would be joining hers from behind.

5Ft step then Rapid shot with fav enemy.
Miss AC 15 for 9
Miss AC 13 (nat 1 – rerolled due to trait – Miss AC 14… WTF) for 12 damage

Between the flying table, explosion of fire, and splatters of goo, Crow’s aim was off and both arrows clattered against the back wall.

Temple, Cruch, block those two doors. We’ve been made

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Init -9, AC 19, HP 27

Kray stepped up beside and slightly behind his big sister and loosed two arrow at her target. Ash’s quick thinking had given him an easy shot on the startled-looking archer and Kray meant to capitalize on it. He drew in his power and wished for luck as he loosed the two oversized shafts at those two wide eyes.

Divine favor cast as a swift action from Fervor. 5Ft step and then Rapid shot at the rightmost archer

Hit AC 29 for 15 damage
Miss<?> AC 15 for 16 damage

Two arrows lashed out, one taking the archer full in the chest. The jerk back from the force of the first arrow saved the man from a second arrow through the shoulder.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
OOC: Init 19 AC21 HP37/41

Jinx was following behind at a decent distance. She saw Ash check the door and then open it. She could see the flash of fire and sound of battle in the room beyond Ash.

Ash then rushed what she could see was a table and try to toss it. Jinx couldn’t see what they were fighting but did add “leave one alive!” Jinx rushed to the opening to look inside and when she saw the humans she concentrated on the one not being attacked and a soft melody was heard that wafted into the males ears.

Slumber Hex on the one not being attacked DC21 will save to stay awake.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:58, Thu 04 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
OOC: Init 7 AC20 HP43

Nodding to Temple as he pointed and spoke, Cruch heard the battle commence ahead. Shaking his full head of hair as he was about to sing his raging song he heard someone say to block the doors. Cruch did as much and put himself right to the side of the doorway in the hall since Temple had already gone to work on pitoning the other door. He was ready to sing if the door so much as twitched.

Ready his song for if the door opens.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The one Kray hit with the arrow stumbled back, dropped his bow and fled from the room. The one next to him succumbed to Jinx’s hex and dropped to the ground, asleep. Buto’s axe just barely missed the one he chopped down on, and the fear in the man’s face showed he knew a hair’s breadth was all that saved him from certain death. He and his companion with the bow fled from the room, closing the door behind them.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto saw his axe flash down, saw the man screaming and bleeding as he died, but instead, his axe barely missed as the man ducked in fear, the blade cutting only air.

Then all he saw were the backs of three guards, fleeing into the adjoining hallway, closing the door behind them. Buto strolled over to the fourth man, put his heavy boot on the man’s chest and kept his axe ready, lest one of the others come back. He waited for the man to come around or the others to join him and bind the unfortunate guard.

Buto thinks you underestimate these humans, Crow. Look at how they flee. They aren’t so dumb after all. Better to run than to be run over by Buto.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
“Any pig will squeal and run when they see the butcher is coming. Yes? These are no different. Quick, leave that one and give chase. They will not run forever. Best to face Triel without three more to her personal guards. Even pigs can trample you in a herd. Yes?”

Crow suited her own words, in a fashion. She flew across the room and kicked (hard enough to open without spinning the thing in a circle) the door open while using the frame to shield her… they may not have run as far as it looked. Her bow was raised and she scanned for targets.

60 ft flying move the door, open, and use my standard action too… (waits to know what is in the room)

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
The door did not move when Crow shoved it with her knee. “Quickly, Ash, Buto. They are holding the door. We need to force it open before they find a way to bar it. “

She hoped they were only holding it, and hadn’t already barred it somehow. She didn’t think they would have time to have done so, but it was possible they had planned a fallback strategy while preparing their ambush. Pig’s could be sly, after all.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
OOC: Whenever someone tries to push against the door I rolled strength checks of 20 for the primary and 17 as the aid another. I’m not sure what the DC is in this case since you all are pushing against them, so I think the 17 would just add +2 to the 20 making the DC for you all to meet or beat to be DC 22. Obviously you can re-try (reroll) but each attempt takes a full round, giving them more time for other stuff.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Moving smoothly in the wake of the developing scuffle up ahead, Temple seals another door as he passes it, pausing just long enough to slip two pitons in place and secure their flanks – at least for the moment – while the main line of warriors up ahead actually engage.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx’s grin was enough to tell that she knew the man had succumbed to her hex as he slumped to the floor asleep. Out of her friends, she was the only one who had put someone down and that pleased her.

As the others moved to the door where the humans had fled Jinx moved to the poor soul lying on the floor and began to tie him up nicely while keeping her face towards the door the others were at.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
As Temple moved forward and began to piton the door next to him, Cruch rushed into the room to assist the others with the capture or killing of the humans. When he got inside he was disappointed though as the humans were gone except for the one that Jinx had laid to rest. “Let’s get that door open!!”

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto lifted his boot off the still sleeping guard as Jinx came over to tie the man up. Responding to Crow’s call, Buto prepared to shove the door open. Ash joined him, first trying to push with Buto against the door, but next to the large, blue bulk, the slender snake-man couldn’t find purchase and was more in the way than a help.

The second time around, Ash waited until Buto made his push, the door rotating around an offset pole as all the others had, and as soon as there was space to slip his fingers in, Ash found purchase and yanked with all his might. The additional umph a moment after the first push by Buto must have surprised the men, as the door then swung fully open.

If you are looking for the exit, you’re going the wrong way. Drop your weapons and you may flee. If you’re looking for the exit from your pitiful lives, you’re in the right place, after all.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray was slight proud of himself. Only his attack had found its target… a nasty shot to the guard’s shoulder that would greatly hinder his ability to keep fighting. Sure, Jinx had put one right out, but that was different. Yup, that’s what he told himself.

Kray took up position behind the two giants and ready a shot to peg one of the guards as soon as the door pivoted open.

Ready attack for as soon as the door opens.
Hit AC 24 for 12 damage

 

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow stepped back to give the two boys room to work. Her bow was raised ready to strike as soon as the door pivoted open. The two boys would be vulnerable, hands full of stone and strain, and it was her job to give the pinkies on the other side something to worry about when the door opened. She saw Kray take up a similar position, without any need to direct him. Good boy

“Someone get that other door. They must know we are here now. No need to be quiet now Cruch. The other may need your strength. Sign them to battle. Yes?

Ready action to shoot through the door.

Hit AC 24 for 9 damage

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
One of the men took Krays then Crow’s arrows into his body. He collapsed to the floor, bleeding from the wounds and barely breathing. (1hp left)

The other turned and attempted to flee to the remaining door…

As hallways went, this one was unremarkable. Keeping with the motif of the structure it looked like the stone had been melted rather than carved.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:04, Sat 06 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch heard Crow’s command to begin his song to bolster the others and so he began with a low baritone rumble that grew even as he readied himself for something coming through the door before him. “In his song, he added the things Temple was doing with the doors to get his attention for another door to piton.” They would need to buy a bunch more pitons when this was through!!

Being raging song!

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
The door gave way and a pair of arrows flew past, causing one of the guards to collapse. The second turned to flee down the hall to yet another door. Buto, holding the haft of his axe cradled in his armpit, whipped the blade in a quick twirl that nearly separated the guard’s head from the rest of his body, which continued to run a couple of steps before falling to the ground in a gushing puddle.

Hit AC 31 NAT 20 CRIT. Failed the confirmation (Hit AC 16) for 25 pts of dmg. Kachonk!

This message was last updated by the player at 11:16, Sun 07 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash, holding the door open, saw Buto slice the first guard. The other lay at Ash’s scaly feet, full more arrows than life. Looks like the fight is about over for you, fella. Why not take a little nap and, when you wake up, consider a diff’rent line o’ work.

Ash drew back, aiming not to kill, only to knock the guard out. A scaly-fisted punch put the guard’s lights out.

Hit AC 20 for 10 pts non-lethal damage to knock the guard unconscious.

Tell me, Wings, do we chase the last one down the hall, or do we keep stalkin’?

This message was last edited by the player at 11:23, Sun 07 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Working on the not unreasonable premise that Everyone Else can beat up on one or two guys, Temple continues with what he’s been doing, securing the next door and moving on, thankful in this instance that he rather extensively augmented his climbing kit for y’know, diving off cliffs and into long, treacherous caverns a few days ago.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
“Too late for stalking, Scales. Speed, and faith in our pitons, are the way forward. I hope Temple is as good at sticking things in stone as he is in flesh. We keep the pressure on the last one, keep him from setting another ambush. Let us fly!”

Despite being an archer, Crow was not one to lean away from danger. The fact that Buto took up one full side of the rotating door, and Ash the other, was all that kept her from zooming to the next door.

She did try to get a good look at the walls and floor, as much as she could, to see if there were any signs of traps, holes, or surprises.

Perception check – 28 – look for traps

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray, significantly smaller than his sister and a bit more brash, slipped past the haymaking Ash and rushed down the hall. The weight of his armor and length of his legs did limit his progress, but he was able to get to the end of the hall and put one shoulder into the door, pushing it open.

Double move to the door; open but not advance into the room beyond.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Not wanting to be left behind by his feathered brother, and concerned as always that the little bird would get himself into trouble, Ash charged down the hallway and joined Kray as the Tengu opened the door. Assuming it isn’t being held shut.

Don’t get ahead o’ yourself there. If you go off and get yourself killed, Crow’ll never let me hear the end of it. And you know how grumpy she can be.

Ash readies himself for another incoming barrage of missiles.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto stepped over the guard’s body, Nearly Headless Nick, the name sprung unbidden into Buto’s mind.

The blue-skinned Suli stepped over the gore, and trod down the hall to take up space behind Ash and Kray. Over his shoulder he called back to Cruch, Orc-man, you’re too busy singing, missing all the fun!

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The door was opened, Ash was ready to get shot again, but nothing happened. Instead he faced a wall directly opposite where the door opened. A hallway extended to the left and right. Immediately to their right, only a few paces down the hall, was yet another of the swivel doors. Then to the left the hallway extended, took a half turn, and had several doors along its length. A few of the group could hear what sounded like whispered voices on the other side of the closesd door.

[Private to GM: K42. NORTHERN ENTRANCE (EL 6)

This room seems fairly empty and clean, but like many other rooms in the ruins, it contains a dangerous trap. The ceiling in this room is 40 feet up, and a 5-foot-wide balcony runs around the rim of the room 20 feet above ground. A knotted rope that can be lowered to provide access to the balcony has been pulled up by the Creatures hiding above.

Creatures: Four Alleybashers lurk on the balcony surrounding this room. PCs can make Spot checks (DC 33) to detect the waiting rogues.

Meryin, Sorkalath, Durkal, and Pindinson, Alleybasher Human Rog2 (4): hp 19, 16, 15, 12; see area M1 of the Lucky Monkey for details.

Tactics: The mercenaries fire arrows at any intruders that enter the room, although they wait and see if opponents first set off the trap. Characters who bypass the footshredder aren’t attacked until the last PC has entered the room.

Development; If the caves are on alert, these rogues have joined Triel in area K36.

Trap: Anyone who opens the western door triggers this room’s trap. Doing so causes the floor of the room to retract 6 inches down, revealing a forest of tiny spikes designed to shred the sole of the foot.

Footshredder Floor: CR 1; mechanical; touch trigger; manual reset; multiple targets (all in contact with the floor of area K42); Atk +14 melee; any creature struck suffers 1d4 points of damage and is wounded as if by caltrops; Search ( DC 20); Disable Device (DC 23).]

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:06, Tue 09 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch stopped his song again, not wanting to waste his voice if there was no battle. His lyrics were masterpieces and only those about to perish should hear them for the last time.

Cruch moved up once Temple put a few pitons in the door he had guarded and motioned for the man to follow. Cruch moved past the bound and now gagged guard, once Crcuh filled his mouth with a piece of clothing the man had on that Cruch tore off and moved to the hallway looking down at Ash and the others. A soft whistle and a movement had Cruch say, they were ready to move forward!

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash signaled back to the group using their hand language. Single Door. Right. Voices. Multiple Doors. Left.

Hi figured they should head for the voices first, and, assuming that Cruch and Temple would continue to cover their backs, Ash turned toward the door to the right and crept close, waiting for the others to take up a position behind him. As Crow had directed, they were no longer stalking, their presence was known, time to be fast as lightning. As soon as everyone was in position, Ash pushed open the door. Ash will open the swinging door on the right side. He is expecting to be shot at once again.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:44, Wed 10 Jan.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
The blade of Buto’s axe dripped blood as he trodded behind Ash into the hallway, the drops lessening the further he went from the guard’s body. He adjusted his grip as they neared the door and Ash signaled that there were voices on the other side. Buto could just make them out, but could not get a sense of what was being said. It wouldn’t matter much longer. The door would open and speaking would become screaming and Buto’s axe would sing to guards to sleep as effectively, if rather much more viscerally, as Jinx ever could.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow moved forward, trusting that Ash had heard voices, even though she did not. Odd, she trusted her ears better than any in the group, but she had been lagging behind the scaled brawler. She checked the ground to see if the injured guard had left a trail of blood. She couldn’t be sure if the one Kray had hit had been killed by the big boys or was the one to flee into this hall.

Crow will look for the blood trail as she moves in the east-west hall.

She took up a position where she could cover the hall and the door, and then signaled Ash she was ready. Without needing to signal, she felt Kray move up next to her.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray clicked along after his sister. The room to the right was probably another guard room, and the cramped nature of the hall, and his companions shear bulk, meant that supporting them would be tricky. He had the same thought as his sister, and turned left to cover their flank from the other doors on the hall. From the bend in the hall, they would be able to provide some covering fire to Buto and Ash while making things hard for anyone trying to take them from the side.

Stay to the right. We can shoot through the other half of the door.

If Buto and Ash bother entered the room on the same side of the rotating door, Crow and he would be able to send in arrows as they entered.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Moving up, Temple pauses for a few moments alongside the downed man, thoughtfully repurposing his own belts to bind him and making sure as he does so that he’s not going to bleed to death – it’s a rough-and-ready once-over, but it’ll serve until he’s able to move up, since it’s fairly obvious that the tip of their spear doesn’t need any assistance.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Yet again, Ash’s suspicions were proven true as arrows whizzed toward him.

Hit AC : Dmg
18 : 4
11 : 2
21 : 4
15 : 4
26 : 7 (I almost critted you! :D)

This room seemed fairly empty and clean, but like other rooms it also contained a trap. When Ash opened the door, the floor lowered, revealing it was also covered in spikes like they previously encountered. Crossing the room would be a terrible ordeal. The ceiling in the room was 40 feet up. A 5-foot-wide, wooden balcony ran around the rim of the room 30 feet above the floor. It looked like a rope ladder was rolled up on the landing beside one of the attackers.

Five people with bows were firing down at Ash from the raised platform. One of them looked to be the one who previously ran from the group.

Directly opposite the door Ash opened was another door.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:38, Wed 10 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Archers. I HATE bloody archers. I can tolerate Crow and Kray, but that’s about it. The thought ran through Ash’s head as the door opened and the five bow-wielding menaces unleashed at him. Luckily most of them missed their mark. These guards must really be jumpy.

Two of the arrows flew true, but Ash was expecting them and batted them easily aside. One would have been a flesh wound, but the other was headed straight for Ash’s heart before he clubbed it away. Deflect Arrows to block one. Snake Style AC 31 to block the second. All other arrows missed

As quickly as he’d opened it, Ash pulled the door shut. I don’t think we wanna go in there. It’s a room like a cactus…fulla pricks. ‘An’ I’m not even talking about the spikes comin’ outta the floor.

Ash didn’t think the men inside could hear him, but he signed the next piece, nevertheless. Crow, piton this door and let’s go the other way.

As he waited for Crow, Ash held the door tightly, in case the guards inside got the idea to come down and open it, but given the spike trap inside, he didn’t think that likely.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow heard more than saw the arrows clatter around Ash as he opened the door. This place would have been impossible to take by force. She grew more nervous by the room. It would be even easier to trap them in here than to keep them out.

She flew to Ash’s side at his request and set about locking the door in place. They weren’t here to slaughter pigs, they were here to take the sow.

Disable device – 16 – not sure how much skill it takes to jam a piton in the crease.

Clear the first room on the left.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
The door secured, Ash followed Crow’s instruction and moved the other way down the hall. He could still hear the voices of the guards behind him, but so far they hadn’t tried to open the door.

Squeezing past Buto, Ash headed to the first door on the left, waited for Buto and the birds to take up position. He focused himself again, thinking about the man he had seen in Delver’s square who could catch arrows. Ash had never considered the possibility until he saw it. Arrow after arrow were fired at the man who first stood still, catching incoming arrows one after another, and who then began to flip and cartwheel around the square, arrows being loosed from a number of different archers, all picked randomly from the crowd, although Ash had some suspicion they had been planted. As the man whirled and flipped, he caught arrows, then dropped them to the ground in smooth motions. After a few rounds of this, the man switched again, now catching the arrows and re-launching them back at targets placed around the arena. Whether or not the bowmen were plants engaged in a choreographed dance with the performer, the power with which the man could catch a flying arrow and whip it at a target, burying the shaft as deep as if it were fired directly, was certainly real.

Well, Ash had never been able to come close to that; he couldn’t catch arrows, much less fire them back from whence they came. But he had spent some time afterward training with Kray and had at least manage a semblance of the feat, although the best Ash could ever manage was to knock the arrows off course. Flex Feat: Deflect Arrows

Re-focused, Ash opened the door.

Ash will open the first door on the left. Rolle 20 is updated.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:06, Thu 11 Jan.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx didn’t like leaving people behind them but they were all moving so quickly that she didn’t have time to do anything but stick with the group. They had made a mistake in the Inn with breaking up before and Jinx wasn’t going to let another ‘Wink’ incident happen again.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Ash made a call to not go into the room to the right.. something about pricks.. At least someone piton’d the door before Temple got up there. The hawkish man had to be running low on the pitons. So ushering Temple along Cruch said, “Door is secure let’s catch up!”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The first door Ash opened looked to be a make-shift prison. It contained four small cages. Each had its own lock, but all were unlocked at present, and thankfully sat empty.

The second door on the same wall revealed an uncomfortable room. It contained a desk, a chair, and a strange apparatus that looked like a wooden bed covered with various iron straps and spikes. The device looked… uncomfortable. Temple recognized the device immediately as a torture rack designed to painfully stretch the person strapped into it. Again, thankfully no one was present.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple is, in fact doing something else altogether – because the moment he looks up to see what Ash and Crow are doing, he snaps “Be right back. Distract them a little!” and takes off at a flat run, heading back the way they came at full speed.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow looked surprised back at the thin man as he ran off. Hold, cover the doors.

Crow listened for sounds of the guards trying to break through the pitons as she eyed the torture rack uneasily. Please no… he can’t be planning…

Her breakfast was slowly trying to creep back up her throat.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:10, Fri 12 Jan.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray took up a spot to cover all the unopened doors and cracked his beak open in a half smile.

Must be a vintage model.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash and Buto will both hold position and wait for Temple to return or direction from Crow. They will scan the various doors and listen for oncoming guards.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple doesn’t shout anything to the others after his retreat, trusting to them to keep the five guards in the room at least somewhat invested in their chance to loose arrows as he takes the corner with one hand sharpening his turn, accelerating out towards the sands… Where he makes another sharp turn, heading up the beach to dive into a sliding tackle, a piton flashing into each hand as he does so.

If I absolutely peg it (heh), I can be at the other door in four rounds and change – whereupon I seal that one too. Which is why I needed the group to keep the five archers eyes-on the door they’re at. Small risk of monster attack, but the alternative was to have all five of them unblocking doors behind us! ^_^

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch only shrugged as Temple ran away. He asked them to keep the archers busy so Cruch moved to the door and began to sing… not his song but sounding very similar to his song. It was about their impending deaths as the black horde closes in.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash, impatient as ever, found that he couldn’t just stand still. So he went back with Buto and gathered the two living guards, walking or dragging them as necessary to the room with the cages, where they locked the guards up. Ash went through their pockets for anything of interest, especially looking for any keys to the rooms around them.

Take the rounds while Temple is underway, put the guards in the cages, take anything of value they have.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The guards had their weapons: swords and daggers each. One had the bow they had used. The group was disappointed to discover neither had more of the alchemical vials they started the fight with. Everyone knew those items were not inexpensive. So it made sense. They also found no keys. It seemed these two weren’t important enough. But they did find that one carried 15 gold pieces in a pouch, another had 10 gold and 10 silver. But most curious, the sleeping rogue had a small, golden rose folded up in a fine handkerchief. It was well crafted, about twice the size of a gold piece, and flat.

Thankfully the locks on the cages didn’t need keys to be closed, clicking them shut locked them.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow held her vigil, covering all the unopened doors with her adoptive nestmate. She wasn’t sure what the thin man was up to, but trusted that it was necessary.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Sealing the door quickly, and above all else quietly, Temple looks around at the lake and then ducks low before skulking back the way he came, making no effort to move swiftly until he’s well out of sight, reappearing some two minutes or so after he left to rejoin the group, explaining once he’s done so “The outside door has been sealed. They’re trapped for now, but we’re on the clock.”

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
When Cruch saw Temple come back around the corner a few minutes later he stopped his singing. “Well done! I was wondering where you were headed! Now, lets push forward…”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The floor of the room was rough and unfinished, and seemed to be pockmarked with hundreds of tiny holes drilled into the floor. There was no indication as to the purpose of these holes, but it must have taken someone months of mind-numbing work to drill them all.

Yet another door was at the end of the hallway like room.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
The feathered due advanced through the next large room, haste giving their previously cautious steps a rapid staccato on the stone floor. They moved in tandum, letting the twin giants, one red and monolithic, the other scaled and sleek, take the lead. They took up a spot, shoulder ot shoulder, just enough room to work their bows, ready for Ash to spin the door.

Kray was impressed with Temple’s thought but was concerned that 4 long minutes had passed. Whoever was on the other side of this door would be ready. He was preparing to cast his divine energy himself when Ash signaled them that he was opening the door. He gave his sister just a little prod as they readied their bows.

“Gemini? Because we always work as twin shadows?”

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash moved with Crow and Kray through the odd room, pausing at the entry to the pockmarked room to examine the holes. Perception 26

If everything seemed safe, he moved forward with the birds. Once Buto and the others were in position, he opened the door. Open the door once

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto moved with all the thought and consideration that a tornado has as it sweeps across the land. It’s coming is a thing of nature, and inevitable, and the damage it leaves in its wake is simply how things should be. The tornado does not care, it just is.

Buto followed Ash into the hallway, tightening his grip on his axe as they neared the door. Based on his expression, one might think Buto was about to start another long day of mucking stalls, or maybe he just mucked them and was due for a nap.

The door opened, and the tornado made ready to destroy again.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Sun 14 Jan.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
As Ash opened the door he saw mostly empty weapons racks on the far wall, another door, and the entrance to a natural, less-worked cave. Most of the cave entrance was blocked by a tower shield with someone behind it. A voice shouted out, “They’re here! They’re here!”

OOC: There is a guy holding a tower shield blocking off almost the entire natural stone corridor. The shield is 5 feet wide, the cave mouth entrance where he’s standing is 6 feet. So there’s about 6 inches on either side. The shield is 6 feet tall and the cave mouth is just under 10 feet tall, so 4 feet of clearance overhead.

Two guys are behind the tower shield wielder with bardiche’s. Then behind those two are three archers standing on small, make shift platforms to be able to see and shoot over the tower shield. This makes them more exposed than the front three martial people, obviously, but with some cover due to the circumstances.

So the tower shield wielder has total cover. He’s not trying to attack at all, just hold the shield. Then the bardiche guys have reach to go past him to threaten the square in front of him. Maybe only one at a time does b/c of the space and I’m having a hard time finding rules for this stuff.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:59, Sun 14 Jan.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx had moved up with the others and when the door opened thanks to the boys, she saw what was in front of them. Someone was holding a really big shield blocking the way… momentarily…

Not needing to see behind the shield made her hex easy to do.

Jinx hummed a melody to put whoever was holding the shield to sleep.

Will save DC21 or fall asleep to the ground, shield and all.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Shock ripples through the group as their shield-berer suddenly slumps and drops into a slumber. One of the long-spear wielders scrambles to grab the shield and restore their protection.

OOC: They act after you, so you all will go before he can pick up the shield. Sigh. I don’t know why I try.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 21, HP 28, HP 18

Crow raced through after Ash and quickly got a grasp on the situation. Well designed, for sure. Triel was not running an armature operation.

Neither am I. Yes?

But they were pigs, and pigs were destined to do one thing… squeal. Crow took up a shooting position a dozen feet from the giant tower shield and fished an arrow from her magical quiver. It was a little awkward with its big, round head. This thing would never cut through armor, let alone flesh. But what it would do is create a small cloud of smoke when ruptured.

She took aim and fired it into the ceiling right behind the giant shield. A big target, even with the poor flight quality of the arrow.

Fire smoke arrow that the space on the ceiling directly above the shield bearer’s head.
Hit AC 27. The top 5 ft of passageway should be completely covered by smoke

The arrow struck the stone with a loud clang, and bits of rock rained down from the expanding cloud of smoke. She had forgotten that the bag had a full broadhead of steel inside. She would have to remember that. Lethal AND useful.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:59, Sun 14 Jan.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Init 17, AC 19, HP 27
Kray raced in beside his sister, the divine power of the spell he cast before Ash opened the door coursing through his body. The defense positioning was impressive and would be a great test of their talents. Excitement threatened to pierce the void he always tried to fight in.

That shield would need to go down before they could do much about the archers. The little archer set his feet slightly ahead of his sister and readied his bow to shoot as soon as an opportunity presented itself.

ready action to shoot at any target that appears past the shield.
Hit AC 16 for 17 damage

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
From Ash’s angle at the doorway, he could just make out the tower shield. Years of talking to ex-militia members in the mines, and some of the rudimentary training he’d received at Pent-In and with the members of the Citadel of Iron Might, informed Ash about what was most likely awaiting them behind that shield. A tower shield in a narrow hallway, always a tough nut to crack, especially if the man wielding it was worth his salt.

Luckily for the Ugly, Inc crew, Crow had done a very thorough job of recruiting a variety of misfits with a multitude if interesting tricks up their sleeves. Ash had a few of his own, but this job called for a different touch. Cruch, Jinx, Tower shield. followed by a quick mimic to Jinx, two hands acting as a pillow to indicate what he wanted. A second sign to Buto, thumb in a slashing motion across his throat. The universal symbol.

A moment later, the heavy clatter of a tower shield toppling over followed by the shouting of piggies whose hidey hole has just been breached. Ash held himself, ready, waiting for Buto to move first. Ash would follow immediately behind the enormous, blue walking tower shield.

Delay action until directly after Buto

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
FInally. Enough slinking and skulking. Of course Buto could do these things, but they were dull and tedious. Buto drew in a breath and let the words of Zhin Volus echo through his mind. You must be the beast from time to time, you cannot help it. But be sure you do not BECOME the beast. Buto glance quickly around at his companions as he moved. Temple, Ash, Cruch, Jinx, Crow, even the little Tengu. Especially the little Tengu. Don’t hurt them.

Buto rages as he moves into the room. Increase natural reach by 5ft. Buto will stop just at 10 ft from the guys with the bardiches, so he does not provoke an AoO

He started in a jog that became an almost all-out run as the rage overtook him, the faces of his companions swallowed away. HIs muscles pumping with blood and his arms elongating in that odd way, most of the length of them shrouded in black, swirling smoke. Buto never bellowed when he raged, but his teeth were clenched tight enough to crush rocks. As he reached the opening to the small hallway Buto stopped just in front of the sleeping man and his fallen shield. He barely registered the man, and unleashed a vicious stroke at the nearest waking guard, whose eyes were as big and white as saucers. The butcher’s axe lived up to its name, cleaving a deep gouge through the man’s shoulder, deep enough down to strike his heart and kill him.

ATK on the left-most bardiche-wielding guard. Hit AC 22 for 26 pts DMG. I’m assuming these guys have 20AC/20HP like the others.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 12:11, Mon 15 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Even as Buto started his advance into the room, Cruch added his raging song to the mix of clatter and death screams that were sure to follow the huling form of Buto and the perfection of form that was Ash.

Cruch would follow them in short order but he needed to bolster their fighting prowess first!

Start raging song!

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash swept in behind Buto. Despite his long legs, Ash had trouble keeping up with the even longer-legged, rage-fueled Suli. Ash saw the bardiche of the man and planned to combat roll under the swinging blade, but the ground all around was suddenly slick with blood, causing Ash to slip to a knee on top of the tower shield and it’s still sleeping wielded. Used acrobatics to avoid AoO. Rolled a 12. If the guy’s CMD is higher than 12, he gets an AoO on Ash. If he gets one, Ash will use snake style to try to block it.

Ash knew a blow was likely coming, so he did the only thing he could think of. He grabbed both ankles of the guard in front of him and YANKED, the expanding puddle of blood aiding Ash in sweeping them from under the man and bringing him to the ground. Trip attack CMB 26. If his CMD is higher he is not tripped, but I suppose it isn’t

Ash looked up toward the archers, preparing himself for their incoming retribution when he noticed the cloud of smoke overhead. What was that about? Didn’t change much for him, though. Three archers were knocking arrows and taking aim down the hallway.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The warrior tried to swipe at Ash with the long, unwieldy long-spear, but he didn’t even get close to the agile fighter. He let out a wail as he smashed into the ground next to his companion who was nearly cleaved in half by Buto, and his sleeping companion who lay atop his fallen tower shield. How quickly their defense plans fell apart.

The three bow wielders jumped down from their small platforms and fled deeper into the natural caverns.

[Private to Asho Iduska: Ash saw a very dark skinned man who had been standing even farther back in the cavern flee as the archers ran toward him.]

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash watched the men flee. One in particular caught his eye. He would need to tell the others about that, but first there were the two at his feet to deal with.

Alright mate, your friends are either dead or gone. We’ve got two o’ your buddies locked up in the pen back there. You can join ‘em, or you can join that one indicating the destroyed body on the floor. But we ain’t got time for chit chat, so drop your weapon and put up your hands if you’re going the wise route. Buto, he’s got five seconds to decide, then end ‘I’m

Ash tried to recall the nickname they’d come up with for Cruch, but he had no recollection. He really should try to pay more attention to their planning sessions. ‘Ey Songbird, we need ya up here to tie up at least one, maybe two fellas. I’ll know for sure in a couple o’ seconds.

Ash looked back to the guard, awaiting his response.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Crow interrogated the hog tied prisoner, “Where is Triel?”

He looked up at her from his vulnerable position. “In the caverns ahead, hiding.”

She rapid fired more questions at him, “How many guards? Is there a back way into the cavern?”

He shook his head, “Only the four of my companions you saw escape. The rest of the complex should have come to join and aid us, but for some reason no one has… Did you kill everyone else…?! He asked with obvious fear, looking at his two downed companions.”

Hearing no response he answered her second question, “No. You have to go forward through these caverns. There’s only one way in.”

Crow asked a question with only one word, “Traps?”

The man shook his head again. “There are no traps in this part of the complex like in the rest. We have been working to make the spikes that stab out of the floor and ceiling in the room you just came from. But we aren’t finished with it yet.”

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:39, Tue 16 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple, having finished securing their rear en route, hunkers down besides the fallen guard that the others are interrogating and – after quickly checking his bonds – asks quietly and coolly “Triel Eldurast. Where will we find them? Down this hall, or back the way we came?”

The alarm has been raised now after all, and it’s not like why they’re here is going to be a mystery for long.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Between Ash’s implied menace and Temple’s cool indifference to life or suffering, the guard quickly answered their questions.

“We make haste. Those pitons, they will not last forever. Yes? The quicker we move, the fewer troubles we will find on the way out. Ash, take point. Buto, crush where he creates an opening. Jinx, remove the biggest barrier with your enchantments. Cruch, find a weakness, and exploit it. Temple, cover the back trail, then find a way to get behind and remove some organs. Kray and I will make sure they are too worried about pointy steel in their eyes to stick anything in you. We move!”

“Jinx, please, a moment with your wand. I took a scratch earlier.

She eyed the shield, then though about the archers that had run away. “Cruch, perhaps you can give us some cover? Or Ash?”

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray wished he had meditated for another truth spell this morning, instead of focusing on offensive blessings. Where there no more traps? And no guards at all?

He knelt next to the guard while Crow was giving the instructions. He already knew what he would be doing. He didn’t mind being Crow’s shadow. Some people needed to be heard or seen to feel powerful. His worth, like his power, came from within.

Kray gave the guard a close look at the broad-headed point of his arrow. “No guards? She is alone? I don’t think so. What is in there with her? Tell the truth or make something up, but do not say she is alone. I rather want you to live.” He made a friendly smile that no human except one who knew him closely would recognize as one.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch moved forward and began to tie up the prisoners. It didn’t take him too long to do so and while he did he listened to the interrogation. So, only 4 or so guards ahead, way more behind, somewhere. He was thankful that they had piton’d the doors up so reinforcements couldn’t come easily.

“I can use the shield to give us cover from arrows if you want.” Cruch said once he was finished with the knots.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
“I… I… Never said she was alone. The woman asked if there were more guards. There are, but the seven of us were the only ones on this side of the complex. There should be more… Did you… Kill… Everyone else…?!” The man asked with obvious fear in his eyes.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch answered the man’s plea for more answers about his companions. “We have only killed those that fought us back. For the main part, there are quite a few of you, much like yourself, all tied up and just waiting to be freed. We are not here for any of you only Triel!”

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow stalked over to the, appropriately, hog-tied guards and made her voice very soft.

“Do NOT bandy words with me, MAN. WHAT or WHO is in there?”

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
At the behest of Crow, Jinx moved up beside her and pulled out the well-used wand. It was the perfect purchase for their group. It kept them topped off outside of combat. Two touches of the wand seemed to be enough for Crow’s wounds. “There you go, good as new!”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
“I’m sorry! Please don’t kill me! The psychotic gnole has some undead pets but I don’t know how many. We don’t come over here. This has his area. But Triel ordered us over here to defend the treasury.”

He clammed up, looking guilty, like he had said too much.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow stared at the guard for a moment. A deep internal conflict. Her instincts screamed at her to hurry. To MOVE. Before another ambush could be set. Before the guards broke free from the doors.

Treasury?

She wanted to wring answers, to make this little piggy squeal. Treasury!

She looked at Ash and Cruch to make sure they were ready.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Once the guards were tied and the interrogation was finished, Ash signaled something to the group in their hand speech. There was another, behind the 3 archers. Dark-skinned human. Wearing leather, no weapon that I could see. He looked more competent that these.

He had nothing else to add, it was just a gut feeling. They had cut a deep line into this compound, and it seemed to be very large; it was hard to keep track of where they were, exactly. Most likely the more skilled guards were up ahead.

Ash looked on with a touch of jealousy as Cruch took hold of the enormous shield. Ash had never had the opportunity to use one, but he’d seen it done on a few occasions and relished the chance to try out the moving wall. Well, there would always be another opportunity. Looks like you’re on point, Songbird. Let’s move Ash fell in behind Cruch as they moved on.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
It took an unspeakable effort for Buto to hold his axe still after his first blow. The inertia of the axe, and the inertia of his raged soul wanted to carry the swing on into the prone guard.

Some little piece of him recalled the hobgoblin under the gnome’s shop who he’d crushed into little more than bloody paste. And the guards at the inn. We can’t learn from them if they’re all dead.

Buto squeezed the haft of his axe, exerting the force there rather than on the body of the guard. He closed his eyes and pictured Zhin and then Teyefe, and managed to release his rage, for the moment.

He stood, his mass breathing heavily with the effort it had taken to shake himself free. Once Crow gave the signal, he was more composed, but he had a feeling that would not last long.

Buto fell in behind Cruch, carrying the enormous shield, and Ash, as the group moved through a completely different, more roughly hewn passageway that the ones that had come before.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Torches burned in the weapon rack room the group was in. They could easily put them out if they desired prior to proceeding.

Cruch took the lead, moving forward with the tower shield. He entered a larger, natural cavern. The ceilings extended up to a height of 20 feet over him, and seemed to continue to get taller farther into the cave.

As he entered the cavern a loud boom exploded, hurting his ears. (Ref DC 14 or take half of 11 dmg, sonic) The noise echoed through the cavern, bouncing off the natural stone walls and echoing beyond their sight.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash heard the boom, but couldn’t make out what had caused it. Cruch, you ok? Let’s keep pushing forward, if you can.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch had advanced forward and wasn’t ready for the boom that almost broke his ear drums. Shaking off the pain Cruch moved forward but began his music softly but enough for the others to hear… or at least he thought it was softly… for the ringing in his ears had him singing louder than he thought he was. Cruch nodded and kept moving forward.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group quickly inspected the ground where Cruch had stepped, but there was no pressure plate or trip wire or anything to give any indication as to how the “explosion” was set off.

[Private to GM: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/silence/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic…pells/h/hold-person/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic…s/b/bull-s-strength/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/#TOC-NPCs-CR-4
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…n-fighter-2-rogue-3/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…artist-human-bard-5/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…eric-human-cleric-4/
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:08, Tue 16 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Sighing gently, as any attempt to extract the information he’s actually interested in regarding their job is promptly lost under a wash of random nonsense and other questions he has neither the time nor the patience to filter through – which is why he always prefers to handle interrogations himself or with a well-briefed partner – Temple takes a moment to drag the guard out of the immediate line of fire and stash him in a corner (just the lee of the door, west of it) and then moves on in backup to the main body of the group.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
As the group moved forward, cautiously, they noticed a smell emanating from the caverns they were moving toward. The stink of the next cavern was overwhelming, even before they walked into it. Sticky pools of congealed fluid lay in depressions in the floor, having drained from several rotting giant spider carcasses that had been pushed up against the northwest wall.

This cavern had two exits beside the one the group was about to enter through. One to the left, and a narrower one to the right.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash crept along behind Cruch and the enormous shield. Somehow, it didn’t feel like it gave them much protection, despite the obvious size of the thing. This place was creepy

As their presence was known, Ash allowed himself to speak, though he did look back to project his voice behind them. Hey Doc, any idea what kinda spiders those are? You know, in case there are some living ones still around…

Ash and Cruch moved up near the place where this path split off to the left and right, Ash scanning around as they moved. Ugh, that smell is awful. This place can give Cruch’s toilet a run for its money.

Perception: 12

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto followed a few steps behind Cruch and Ash, axe held at the ready.

Ah, because Cruch stinks. Funny joke, Ash. Perhaps it is more dangerous behind Cruch than it is in front of the shield.

OOC: Buto will also scan the cave, looking and listening for dangers. Perception: 23

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray kept a close eye on the spider corpses as he advanced behind the rest.

“The Guard said there is a necromancer here. Those spiders may just be playing at dead. Or dead but still able to play. And by play, I mean eat us. “

Kray had a power he could use on undead, but only if they got close enough to smash with the metal tines on his bow. Not ideal, but it was an option.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Crow was glad to finally have some headroom to work with. She could never get a good angle to fire from the floor; she needed height to see, height to shoot.

The strix opened her wings and leaped into the air. It made her a target, she knew, but that couldn’t be helped. They needed to press forward, and they needed to do some quickly without being careless.

She flew forward to hover over Cruch’s head, scanning the room for any signs of threat or creatures.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Another sonic boom exploded as Cruch stepped into the narrow opening from one corridor to the next. (Ref DC 14 for half of 7 dmg) Clearly there was some kind of spell triggering these effects, or someone could see them that they couldn’t see.

(Someone want to make a spellcraft check? knowledge check?)

The ceiling continued to rise higher above their heads, easily 30 feet high at the peak in this cavern.

Buto heard the clatter of chains before anyone else did, and he caught a glimpse of something moving in the left cavern. As the group moved further into the cavern, the smell of death became even stronger. Cruch and Crow saw clearer what Buto glimpsed, what looked like an emaciated dwarf, covered in worms, chained to a slab of stone in the middle of another large cavern. Unlike the others, the cave with this revolting creature glittered and glowed. The rock formed millions of tiny black and red crystals that caught the light from a continual flame torch burning near the entrance and reflected it back a millionfold. The one thing that wasn’t glittering was a large slab of dull black stone in the center of the room, to which this creature was chained.

They also go a glimpse of glowing red eyes, hundreds of them, looking back at them from inside the room.

Crow might also wind up regretting her decision to fly, because as she ascended, she saw more eyes looking down on her.

Eight large spiders seemed to call these two caverns home. Four of them were attached to the ceiling above them in the first cavern, then four more were on the floor around the two chained undead looking dwarves which moaned and tried to move toward the group. It looked like their chains weren’t long enough to allow them to leave the cavern however.

Fear: Anyone moving as far as Cruch is needs to roll a DC 14 will save against fear.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:41, Wed 17 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Moving up as the group discovers trouble, Temple uncases his powerful little crossbow, snapping the arms back out and putting them under tension with a heavy-pull lever before loading it, obviously coming to the conclusion that he’s likely to end up needing it before all’s said and done, although crossing the chamber doing so takes most of his time – and is utterly unimpeded by the horrific appearance of the eight-legged monsters.

He’s seen worse, after all.

He’s made worse.

Depends on the knowledge skill as to what the total is. Otherwise, 17 for Spellcraft & I pass the fear check.
23:55, Today: Temple rolled 17 using 1d20. Appropriate knowledge.
23:55, Today: Temple rolled 17 using 1d20+8. Spellcraft.
23:51, Today: Temple rolled 22 using 1d20+3. Will save.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash stopped a few steps behind Cruch. He could make out the bodies of some spiders on the ground, and could see the glowing eyes of 4 spiders resting on the ceiling up ahead. Yes, this was something entirely different than what they’d encountered before. That was a fort, manned by guards, something familiar. This was different. But Ash had spent a lot of time in caves. Had even seen and death with nests of spiders they occasionally found in the mines. Rolled 23 Save vs. Fear

The spiders hung up, well out of reach, which was what Ash had experienced with them in the past. Best to convince them to come down or to leave. Ash signaled to the rest of the group, Focus Fire on the center spider. Let’s see if they want to fight or flee. Temple had already taken up a position with his crossbow, and Crow and Kray had their bows ever at the ready. Ash momentarily considered drawing his own bow, but he had never been especially effective with it, so instead he prepared to deal with the creatures, should they decide to come down for a fight. Flex Feat: Dedicated Adversary (Vermin)

Blue Meanie, keep that axe ready. Cruch, how ‘bout a little dancin’ music? The rest of ya, fire when ready.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Fear Save Kray -8, failed, Fear Save Crow 21 – passed
Init Kray – 16, Crow – 10

While the sight of the giant spider affected the feathered siblings greatly, it did so for separate reasons. For Kray, a little creature, despite his loud nature and big stick, the giant predators evoked some primal fear. He could picture all too easily being paralyzed, bound in silk, and then slowly dissolved from the inside, being conscious buy immobile while the creature DRANK out his liquid organs.

He fumbled out an arrow and as he stepped up next to Cruch to fire on the creature, a wave of pure terror hit him. The little archer didn’t know why, but he overcome and couldn’t even hold his weapon. His talon-tipped feet made a rapid staccato on the stone floor as he fled back down the tunnel.

Panicked drop weapon and move 30 ft back down the tunnel

This message was last edited by the player at 10:07, Thu 18 Jan.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
From Crow, it was not fear. She did not FEAR vermin like spiders, and rats, and worms, and…. UGH! . They were disgusting. The air was clean, the wind revitalizing. Things like this lived in the dirt and the filth… the midden. They revolted her.

The sight of such giant, stomach-churning monstrosities set Crow back for a moment. The thing was horrible from here; the Storms only knew she didn’t want it any closer.

Ash’s instruction was a good one, and Crow let herself drop a few feet closer to the crew while she worked her bow feverishly, trying to make up for lost time.

She was surprised when no further arrows followed hers, and she looked around to see what happened to her little nest mate.


-2 to hit from Entomophobia. -2 from shaken
Hit AC 15 for 8 damage
Hit AC 23 for 13 damage

This message was last edited by the player at 10:08, Thu 18 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash heard something clatter and the fluttering of wings as Kray fled. He wasn’t ready for this. The thought sprung to Ash’s mind, but he reminded himself for the thousandth time that Kray was not a little nestling any longer. Something in there was doing this. It wasn’t normal fear.

Fall back a few steps, let’s focus on what’s in front of us and worry about what is around the corner later. he signaled to the group. He could hear Buto’s breathing, could sense the Suli’s readiness to spring into action. To him Ash signaled, Hold, let them come to us. Let the birds do their work first.

OOC: Ash and Buto will both ready actions to attack

This message was lightly edited by the player at 14:23, Thu 18 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch had already started his song when Ash had asked for it. He felt the sonic boom this time but his own music drowned out the noise making it not hurt as much. He didn’t even think about the pain he received from it.

Since there didn’t seem to be any archers around here? Where the hell did they go anyways? Cruch thought for a second before moving back with the others. They would try and get the spiders to follow them instead of heading into the fire.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx knew that her hex to put things to sleep wouldn’t work against the undead in the room so she looked at the spiders and then a soft melody began in one of their ears.

Put the closest one to sleep… DC21 will save.

Then moved while snagging Kray’s bow…

This message was last edited by the player at 10:49, Fri 19 Jan.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Crow watches her arrows easily pierce the spider’s hide, but she noticed the creature didn’t react to the wound. It didn’t flinch at all. The perceptive strix also realized that the wounds didn’t seem to bleed. Jinx could also tell her hex had no effect on the monsters.

The four spiders on the ceiling clattered along the stone to get closer to Crow, then all four of them shot sticky webs at her, like fillament nets.

Hit Touch ACs: 13,8,6,17

If one, or more, of those hit Crow’s touch AC, then she is Entangled. I believe it’s impossible to fly while entangled, but I can’t find that written specifically.

An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC of 15. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it take a –4 penalty.

The four spiders on the ground came skittering forward. One of them rounded the stone wall and spit a web at Buto. Hit Touch AC 17. He’s entangled if it succeeded.

Everyone could hear the moaning and the rattling of chains from the undead dwarves, trying to get at the living flesh just in the next room.

(yes, they are undead)

OOC: Everyone has rolled the save against fear, right? Don’t forget that. And you have to roll against it until you beat it after running away.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
With the general instruction to fall back, Temple steps around the corner he’s at, bringing his crossbow to bear as he does so, loosing a bolt into the lead cadaver with all the effect you’d expect of someone poking a neat hole in a leaky undead exoskeleton – but he’s trying, which is probably worth something.

OOC: Firing at the lead spider, for… Well, nothing really.

03:41, Today: Temple rolled 16,3 using 1d20+6,1d8. Twang!

My action may change, but right now if Crow is entangled and falls, Temple is going to move across the gap at speed, grab her and haul her into cover.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:43, Sat 20 Jan.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Reflex save to avoid falling – 28 SUCCESS Escape artist – 17 (15) SUCCESS, even with -2 for vermin phobia

Crow had only enough time to signal to the call to the rest of the team “Undead! The spiders do not bleed” before the think ropes of silk tried to envelope her. She was able to avoid all but the one, and a quick whip of her wings kept them clear… good thing too, she was still 15 feet about the cave floor.

A little wigging, plus the judicious use of one razor-sharp arrowhead, got her free, and a powerful sweep of her wings sent her back away from the silent horde.

She aimed for the ground by Kray. She was lucky her wings hadn’t been caught in the webs and had no desire to test her luck should they shoot at her again. She wanted to fly back to the tunnel entrance but wouldn’t leave Kray until she was sure he was ok.

“Fall back! Bring them down to us. To the tunnel. Kray, your bow?”

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray was halfway back to the cavern entrance before he regained his senses. He knew enough about magic to know that he had been overcome by a nasty effect. Not pleasant. To be forced to act against your own will.

Feathers whipped through the air as he shook his head, then he scanned for his bow. He hadn’t realized it was gone until Crow’s question cut through the last fog of fear contaminating his mind.

He felt naked… he always meant to get a mace as a back-up, but always found an excuse not to. Well, Ocne they got top side, he would use his share to make up for lost time.

He saw Jinx wave at him, the horn bow looking proper sized in her green hands. Well, it was made for orcs, after all. He raced over to her and grab it with a “Thanks! Hate to wrestle 8 legs to get it back.”

He took the bow back from Jinx and readied himself for the spiders to come into the cavern to play.

Move 20 ft and take bow. I assume that it costs an action to take the bow.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Passed the will save, exactly. Rolled a 14.

Buto felt something call to him, try to force him to run. Put down your axe, run from here. There is nothing here but darkness.

An enormous, blue-skinned hand slapped Buto’s face and then he shook his head like a wet dog throwing off water. The feeling, the voice dissipated. Buto would not run. Buto was made for dark places. He’d spent as much time at Pent-In the Caves as he had out in the sun. Darkness was a second home to Buto.

Buto heard Crow’s call to fall back, could sense the others doing just that, but he would not.

Buto ragesHis anger taking over, Buto moved forward, dragging the thick strands of webbing along with him until is now-distended arms came in range of the spider that had rounded the corner. Move forward 10’ puts him in range of the nearest spider

Buto’s raised his enormous axe 10’ into the air, the full length of his smoke-encased limbs, and brought it straight down onto the spider with full force. ATK w/ power attack. Hit AC 22 for 27 DMG. I forgot to subtract out the -2 when I rolled, so he hit a 24, minus 2 for entangled makes it 22.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:26, Sat 20 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
I’m assuming Buto killed the spider, if he didn’t that would change the action Ash took

Ash moved forward and Buto’s axe split the front half of the nearest spider. Ash was sure more were coming around the corner, he had seen maybe two or three down there. But with no others close, Ash drew the crossbow he kept strapped to his back and tried to fire a bolt at one of the spiders hanging from the ceiling. Hit AC 13. Miss.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:07, Sat 20 Jan.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch had moved back but when he saw the webbing hit Buto and he began to move forward, Cruch knew he needed to get back in the fight. Cruch saw the spider near Buto and with his song ringing out he charged the spider even as Buto’s axe fell upon it chopping hard into its flesh. Cruch came in hard with a wild clawed had that sliced right into the eyes of the undead vermin.

Hit AC29 for 14 damage.

15:35, Today: Cruch rolled 29,8,6 using d20+11,d6+6,2d6 ((18,2,2,4)).

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx let Kray take his bow back and then moved over to Crow who just came back and landed.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Sun 21 Jan.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Buto and Cruch’s axes crunched into the spider. Clearly the beast was not alive. No blood exploded from their powerful blows, only congealed liquids and the stench of death escaped the dessicated carcas.

The remaining beasts were practically crawling over top of each other to get at the three friends in the entrance. As they skittered forward, their comanions over head spit webs down at Ash, Cruch and Buto.

Webs Hit Touch AC
Buto 4
Cruch 6
Cruch 5
Ash 20

Escape Artist or Break DCs are above for Ash.

Bite Attack Hit AC – DMG + Poison
Ash 23 – 14
Cruch 12 – 7
Buto 21 – 12

If Ash or Buto took damage, they need to save against poison. Fort DC 17; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d3 Con and staggered; cure 2 saves.

[Private to Cruch: Cruch, and only cruch, sees these two small worms crawling along the floor toward them. AC 10 1 HP]

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Init 16, HP 27, AC 19
Kray stepped out around Temple to get a good shot and fired two arrows at the nearest spider. He knew he could do more damage if he used the bow as a mace, but things were crowded up there and he was afraid he might succumb to the fear again.

He channeled his fear and anger into the fire, and the arrows burst into flame as they left the bow.

Divine weapon – flaming, Rapid shot with point blank and Divine Favor
Miss AC 13
Hit AC 20 for 9(14-5DR) piercing and 1 flame (10 damage total)

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 9, AC 18, HP 37
Crow kept her feet on the ground and worked her bow as fast as she could. The arrows would be less effective than normal against the undead flesh, so she pulled out a pair of arrows with a little metal cylinder behind the broad arrowhead. The effect of the powder charge inside wouldn’t take effect for a few seconds, but any of those giant arachnids that left one in them would start to burn from the inside.

Rapid Shot with Slow Burn arrows, -5 for each due to rapid shot, slow burn, and phobia.

Hit AC 19 for 3 (8-5dr) this round, and 1d6 fire next round
Missed AC 14

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
AC 18 HP 48

Ash tried to dodge the sticky web that was fired at him from above, but it was too quick and he was entangled just as Buto had been. Eww, spider emissions. Gross!

Moments later 3 spiders were bearing down, 1 each on him, Cruch and Buto. Well, the two could handle themselves, and the others would be firing arrows. Nothing to it, but to take care of the one he was facing. The spider nipped at him, trying to sink its….teeth? What do spiders even bite with? …into him. Luckily Ash had seen this move many times dealing with spider nests in the mines. He saw the nip coming and managed to get his hands up in time to redirect the attack. Snake Style AC 24 to block the attack.

As the spider reached for the bite, Ash landed a pair of blows to the batch of defenseless eyes on the spider, jabbing first with his left arm, then swinging his right in a roundhouse. atk 1 Hit AC 18 for 16 DMG. ATK 2 Hit AC 15 for 10 DMG. Total 26 Bludgeoning damage. Punchity.

Ash then took a step back, yelling to Cruch and Buto. Let’s back up slowly, make them come to us.
5’ Step back

This message was last edited by the player at 07:02, Sun 21 Jan.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
AC 18 HP: 51
Web missed hiim, but he was already webbed. That entangle is still in effect.

A spider charged toward Buto, intent on a snack. The creature was maybe used to making meals of “normal” creatures, and did not anticipate the extraordinary reach of Buto’s arms, and Buto’s flashing axe caught the creature’s Cephalothorax as it lunged at him. The creature moved through Buto’s threatened space incurring an AoO. Hit AC 29 for 30 points slashing damage.

Buto roared as the spider clamped down on his shoulder, taking a chunk of meat out of him. But the fire in his blood prevented the poison from taking hold. Though he could sense that it was still there. Buto was hit by the bite for 12 dmg. Made the Fort Save: 30. Will roll the second save next round.

Unfortunately, Buto’s enormous axe got caught on the mass of the creature’s body as he drew back to swing again, causing his hands to slip. Rolled a 1 on the ATK

Buto stepped back from the spider.
5’ step back

This message was last edited by the player at 07:00, Sun 21 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

Temple, registering that the bolt he’s just fired went into the undead spider and came out of the undead spider with no more effect than the punching of a very small hole and the dribbling of a bit of fluid, sighs and slings the weapon once more. A moment later he breaks cover to slip into the shelter of the far wall, uncasing a small bottle from his hip to drink it down en route – and shifting as he does so, limbs lengthening and posture shifting in the by-now accustomed, unholy fashion that’s associated with his freeing The Skinner.

18:02, Today: Temple rolled 20 using 1d20+11. Perception

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch had just torn off a great piece of the undead spider and fell the thing. He didn’t have much time to rejoice for more were on the way to attack. That was when he noticed 2 small worms coming towards them. They were almost imperceptible to the eye but even in his rage Cruch saw them. “Everyone there are some small worms crawling on the floor towards us, be careful!!”

Cruch dodge the webbing aimed at him and then a bite from the spider. “Two can play at this game!” This is not going to taste good though!”

Cruch lunged forward and bit the spider right back tearing flesh easily, his claws pretty much had the same effect as they tore flesh as well.

All damage slashing…
Hit AC28 for 11, AC25 for 9, and AC30 for 9 damage. 29 total!
12:09, Today: Cruch rolled 28,9,2,25,9,30,9 using d20+9,d6+6,2d6,d20+8,d4+5,d20+11,d6+6 ((19,3,1,1,17,4,19,3))

Cruch then ook a step back from the spiders.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
When Jinx moved forward she too saw the worms that Cruch called out. She had her spear ready and would try to stab at them when they got close.

Readied attack… Hit AC20 for 2 damage

12:20, Today: Jinx the Black rolled 20,2 using d20+5,d6+1 ((15,1)).

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The three spiders moved forward to bite at the the friends again. Intelligent and living creatures would have fled after the punishment dealt to their bodies. But these were undead, nearly mindless things that felt no pain.

Hit AC + DMG + Poison
24 Ash – 14
18 Cruch – 7
21 Buto – 13

If you’re hit, remember the save against poison.

Those overhead simply spit their webs again at the fighters closest to them.

Hit Touch AC + Entangled
Ash 4
Cruch 16
Cruch 22 (this was a nat 20 so it’s a hit but I don’t think I can critical hit with a web)
Buto 5

The little worms wiggled forward, moving slowly, but were hard to see as they moved under the spiders.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:08, Sun 21 Jan.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
The spider managed to get another bite into his flesh took 13 points of damage Buto again managed to shake off the poison Rolled 23 Fort save, but it was enough to distract him, causing his swing to completely miss the spider. Hit AC 14 – missed

Buto roared in frustration, but manage to keep Ash’s plan in mind, and took a quick step backward. 5’ step back.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash again managed to dodge the clamping Jaws? of the spider. Snake Style AC 37

As before he followed with a pair of quick, powerful punches, looking every bit the professional boxer. His first punch split the head of the spider open, and his second finished the job, as the spider collapsed on top of the corpse of its companion.

As it died, Ash took a step backward. 5’ Step back


ATK 1 HIt AC 19 for 5 (10-5) pts of DMG
ATK 2 Hit AC 15 for 11 (16-5) pts of DMG
Killity

This message was last edited by the player at 13:02, Sun 21 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
Completing his transformation, the spindly, long-limbed figure standing where Temple stood grins in a slow, leering fashion as his leather mask splits around a foot and more-long jaw containing far, far too many needle-thin teeth then turns – and as the spider scurries after Buto, he erupts from the side of the rock wall to plunge three-inch, scalpel-like fingers into five of its eight eyes, giggling merrily while rotating his hand just so to pop them out of their sockets, leaving each dangling – dessicated and empty – from a finger as he waggles them at the spiders on the ceiling “I SEE you!”

Well… He’s on the right side at least, right?

Bite (all three damage types) misses, Claws (bashing and slashing) hit in spades for 21 damage across three strikes, which ought to drop the thing.

16:06, Today: Temple rolled 24 using 1d20+7. Critical threat.
16:06, Today: Temple rolled 10,9,26,7,27,7 using 1d20+7,1d8+4,1d20+7,1d6+4,1d20+7,1d6+4. Rip and tear (and step on, if necessary).

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch, Buto, and Ash had coordinated to fall back a little at a time and it was working masterfully so far. It wasn’t easy to walk with the webbing strands from the spiders above but at least they didn’t bite! Cruch slashed his claw and bit into the one that tried to bite him and the thing once more died for good this time.. or at least he hoped.

Hit AC20 for 9 and AC29 for 7 killing the spider 6

Cruch then fell back 5ft.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx kept an eye on the worms. It wasn’t easy with the large spiders but her keen eyes kept sight of them. If they got closer she would poke it to death.

Still readied action with last roll.

Move to the far left.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Init 16, HP 27, AC 19 — Perception for Kray 15, Crow 30

“Hey Cruch, Temple! How do they taste? Should we cook them later?”

Kray had recovered a bit of his humor, watching Cruch and Temple tear into the spiders with teeth and claw while the other guys rained Icor with ax and fist.

“Give’m taste of their own medicine. I wonder who tastes better to whom? Undead arachnid or unwashed Orc?” He clearly did not say, much less think, what Skinner might taste like.

It was at that point that he saw the worms, his black eyes drawn to them by Cruch’s bellow. They could just be some innocent cave worms, drawn to the rotting flesh. Sure.

Kray loosed two arrow in rapid succession, aiming to skew the little benign crawlers to the floor.

Hit AC 11 for 18
it 20 for 16

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 9, AC 18, HP 37

Crow quickly spotted the worms after Cruch and Jinx gave the alarm. It is unantural that tiny, little worms could make her feel worse than giant, undead spiders. But they did… oh did they ever.

Crow risked the silk cocoons and jumped 5ft into the air, already feeling the little beasts crawling up her feet and under her pants. Wings spread wide, Crow took careful aim and shot at the closet worm.

Hover 5 ft in the air, bullseye shot on the nearest worm (+4 to hit, costs move action)
Hit AC 27 for 9 damage

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The two worms died without a sound. It seemed two more were just behind those, and there might be two more slithering out of the room with the chained undead.

Alone, the final spider lurched forward, most of its body damaged from the attacks and strugling to move, despite the unholy magic keeping it un-alive. It attempted to bite at Temple, but failed miserably.

Above their heads, the four spiders skittered forward, directly overhead the group, and it looked like they were preparing to drop onto them from the ceiling.

[Private to GM:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…2/human-fighter-3-1/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…rglar-human-rogue-3/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…-cr-2/human-rogue-3/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…an-rogue-2-smuggler/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…/thug-human-rogue-2/
https://thecreaturecodex.tumbl…45034/spawn-of-kyuss
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:05, Mon 22 Jan.

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–

The Skinner cackles a bright, merry answer to Ash’s question “Nutty. A little like rancid crab.” which, by the standards of the sometime surgeon is downright normal – or would be if he hadn’t just used an eight-or-nine inch barb-covered tongue to slurp one of the eyeballs off his scalpel fingertip to gather the information necessary to answer.

Still, it does free his hands to do something about the spider in front of him, which he ducks under the bite of and then dances around, trapping it between himself and Buto – which is where he sets about trying to pluck its legs off, one by one to the giddy mutter of some rhyme or other about whether or not someone loves him.

Flanking with Buto makes it 15/6, 11/5 and 27(11)/7.
18:24, Today: Temple rolled 13,6,9,5,27,7 using 1d20+7,1d8+4,1d20+7,1d6+4,1d20+7,1d6+4. Tastes like lobster.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash could see the spiders gathering overhead. Here comes the next wave, fall back, make ‘em come to us! Ash took a few steps backward, putting himself close to Kray to provide some cover to his adopted nest mate. Hope you got that bow ready, brother.

Ash attempted to throw the webbing off of himself, but the stuff was pretty heavy and through the fighting had gotten well wrapped around him. STR check to break out of the webbing – 13 – failed.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
The snake man’s plan had worked so far, so Buto complied. He took a few steps back, placing himself between the spiders and Crow. Buto gritted his teeth and squeezed the haft of his axe, preparing himself to swing.

As an afterthought, he tried to throw the webbing off of himself, but it stuck fast to him. STR check to remove webbing – 14 – failed

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Init 16, HP 27, AC 19

Kray continued to work his bow, firing one arrow at a worm and the other at the closest spider. He took a quick step to the side after firing arrows, allowing him to hit the spiders as they passed.

Hit AC 20 for 15 (AT WORM)
Hit AC 18 for 10 (15-5DR) (AT SPIDER 1)

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 9, AC 18, HP 37

Crow continued to hold herself a few feet off the ground with quick beats of her wings. The giant spiders filled her vision, but she zeroed in on the last worm she could see. She knew there were two more coming, but she didn’t have a line on them. The little creatures would be easy to lose amid the giant legs and thoraxes… and eyes… so many eyes.

She took a deep breath and carefully shot at the slimy horror as she backed behind Buto’s bulk.


Hit AC 17 for 7 damage (WORM)

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Cruch tried to break out of his webbing to move faster but failed miserably. The damn dead spider’s sticky innards suck firm to his body. That will mean he had to try harder to move.

I am moving back behind Buto.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx didn’t have any webbing on her so she moved with ease back to the safety of the boys.

“Keep killing those things but keep a watch for whatever those worms are!”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The four spiders dropped down in front of the group and attempted to bite at those in front.

Hit AC : DMG + Poison
20 : 7 + poison (Jinx) rolled 20 to confirm crit , miss, right?
13 : 12 + poison (Ash)
1 : 7 + poison (Buto)
20 : 12 + poison (Cruch) rolled 25 to confirm crit so the damage should be doubled to 24

Remember the fort saves if you haven’t already made one.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:54, Wed 24 Jan.

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto watched the spiders close in above them, his black eyes running over their seemingly countless, glittering, red eyes. Living spiders might have fled after watching four of their like die against the blades of Ugly, Inc. But these spiders had no minds, no living souls. They didn’t know fear, and they didn’t know what it meant to flee. They just came on, in search of what? Buto couldn’t imagine that these spiders ate. Perhaps their undead bodies just did what their living bodies knew to do in life. The muscles following a sort of biologically built-in programming that would run and run and run so long as the muscle tissue could move the legs and the glands at their backs could spin webs.

He waited. The spiders would come and drop from the ceiling. Buto was not a highly intelligent being, but he wasn’t a dummy and he understood tactics, so he waited for their descent. Closer. Closer. And then they began to drop, one after another, each seemingly settling in on one of the Ugly members a their prey.

Buto’s axe flashed at the unfortunate first spider that lowered itself, aiming for Cruch. The axe strike was brutal, cutting fully through the body of the spider, slicing the giant body into equal halves that collapsed to the floor, the upper half bouncing and rolling one way, the back half bouncing and rolling another. AoO on Spider 1: Hit AC 31 CRIT. Hit AC 21 to confirm. 76 points slashing damage. Spider did not get a chance to attack Cruch. EENY

Another spider dropped in front of Ash. Buto’s blade had just carved its way through the first spider; he planted his foot and brought the axe back across his body, slicing through one of its legs and severing part of its chelicerae, which would make biting difficult. AoO on spider 3: Hit AC 21 for 34 points slashing damage. MEENY

A third spider dropped directly in front of Buto. Its jaws opened to take a bite of the blue-skinned Suli, but Buto’s still whirling axe now cut almost straight up in a kind of bladed uppercut into the spider’s underside. Spider missed Buto. AoO on spider 2: Hit AC 20 for 27 pts DMG. MINEY

The blade tore through the spider’s jaws and eyes from underneath, ripping through and mostly destroying them, Buto twirled the haft to bring the edge of the blade back down, and then drove the blade from above back through the spider’s mostly ruined front, this time killing it outright. Buto’s ATK for the round on spider 2. Hit AC 20 for 32 points slashing damage. MOE

This message was last edited by the player at 16:51, Wed 24 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash’s mouth, unbeknownst to him, fell open in wonder as he watched the spiders explode in black ichor. The stuff rained down upon them all as pieces of spider fell to the floor.

Ash held himself in his snake stance, ready to fight the creatures off, and not for the first time did he get a sense, despite all his ability and training, despite all his own incredible strength, of just how tiny and pitiful he was in comparison to the force of nature that whirled next to him. He simultaneously cursed and praised Crow again for her insistence that Buto was an asset to them. She had been right. Ash had been right in his own estimation that Buto would be a problem. Some questions had more than one right answer. But today, Crow’s answer was MORE right.

The spider that finally reached the ground in front of Ash was no longer a sleek, skulking death machine, but more an mewling, damaged, near-dead-again pile of mush that just hadn’t quite reached its finish line. Ash drew back his fist and gave the beast its last shove back to the grave. Spider’s attack missed Ash. Ash Hit AC24 for 13 (18-5) points dmg.

His second punch connected with the much more feisty and dangerous spider that had set its sites on Jinx. It had just sunk its…teeth?… into her as he turned. Get off her you zombie son of a… the rest was lost as Ash gritted his teeth and landed a powerful punch to the side of the spider. ATK 2 Hit AC 16 for 12 (17-5) points damage.

Jinx, are you ok? The worry was evident in Ash’s voice.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:50, Wed 24 Jan.

===========================================================
Kray
———————————————————–
Kray’s attention was distracted away from the Worms by the giant, rotting spider that landed next to him. It took a bite out of jinx as it landed, and Kray was unsurprised when Ash turned to savage it with his fists. This was not where Jinx was at her best, melee combat with brother in coming to her quick defense.

” Back up Jinx! We will take it from the sides! Let’s crush this creepy crawler, Scales.”

Kray shifted his grip on the oversized bow and brought the metal-covered horns down directly on several of the thing’s eyes, the blutn spikes digging deap into it’s head.

Forgot to take rapid shot out (-2) onthe dice roller, still hit
Melee strike (blunt) Hit AC 29 for 7 damage (12-5DR), CRIT – confirmed with Hit AC 23 for 16 more damage (23 damage total)

Kray followed the savage blow with a bow shot, having bought himself room to shoot with the force of his strike.

Bow shot on Spider if still alive or nearest worm.
Hit AC 15 for 20 damage

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
The worms were appearing faster than she was shooting. Trust yourself. Breath. Shot. Repeat. . Crow calmed herself with the internal chant and picked up the pace of her shooting. She no longer took extra time to aim and began launching arrows as fast as she could draw them to cheek.

“Don’t let those worms touch you! Back up. Buto, keep covering us with those arms. Temple, are those Dwarves still advancing?”

Rapid shot with bow. At the Spider if it is still up, otherwise at the front worms, if both dead after her first shot, then the next set of worms.
Hit AC 22 for 11 (6 if it is the spider)
Hit AC26 for 13 damage (AC25 for 12 damage if both the front worms are dead)

===========================================================
Temple
———————————————————–
No.” comes the answer as The Skinner dances nimbly over the collapsing body of the spider he was fighting – or possibly torturing, not that the dead feel pain – discarding it in favour of leaping at the back of the last of the falling group, both hands coming around to grip its fangs so that he can pull the head up and whisper “What have you seen?” to it almost lovingly before his mask splits again, strings of off-colour ichor linking the jaws of it as it shears down over the things head and eyes in a horribly final, crunching fashion.

19 to hit, 21 damage which I believe drops it.
02:18, Today: Temple rolled 19,12,9 using 1d20+9,1d8+4,2d6. Attacking the spider.

===========================================================
Jinx the Black
———————————————————–
Jinx had moved back far enough or she had thought when the spider dropped from its webbing strands to land right next to her and immediately sink its fangs into her. She felt the warm poison seep into her veins but somehow the effect didn’t quite affect her like she thought it would. There was a tingle but nothing more. Then there was a green blur as Ash whipped past her and bashed the dead thing to death. She saw Temple as well lash out with horrific claws and slash at it. It fell to the ground quite dead once more.

“I am okay! I think… that hurt though.” Jinx said in a soft voice barely audible as she retreated while pulling her wand to heal herself.

Saved vs the poison.

===========================================================
Cruch
———————————————————–
Ready for the spiders to come, Cruch was about to slash into the one falling towards him when suddenly Buto swiped his axe across and over Cruch’s head… which is a feat in and of itself with his height. “Well done friend!” the melodic tune rang out in his raging song.

Cruch looked around for a target but couldn’t find any more dead moving spiders. He did know that the worms were still about so looked for them.

If nothing was directly around then he looked to Ash for instructions to move forward. “Let’s advance shall we?”

If everyone is okay lets push forward till we find a worm and kill it or we get around the corner and can shoot one of the dwarves.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:50, Thu 25 Jan.

===========================================================
Asho Iduska
———————————————————–
Ash nodded to Cruch. Ok, let’s move. Keep your eyes open for more of those worms. I hate to imagine what those things are capable of. Once we turn the corner, anyone who knows which end of an arrow goes in front should take aim at whatever those things on chains are. I didn’t get a great look at them, but I’m pretty sure they are the source of our worm infestation.

Ash began to slowly move forward, scanning the area for worms, and trying to give the archers time to identify and fire on any they encountered.

Perception 24

===========================================================
Buto
———————————————————–
Buto shook his head violently. He was covered in ichor and aching to swing his axe into the now-still bodies until he could no longer lift it. To master it, you must be able to take off the mantle. Zhin’s words. Breathe, Buto, breathe

Buto forced air into his lungs and exhaled. Again. Again. He felt the heat leave his blood, felt a calmness returning. There would be time again soon to swing the axe. For now, they needed a cooler head. End Rage

Buto followed closely behind Ash as they crept toward the intersection ahead.

===========================================================
Crow
———————————————————–
Init 9, HP 37, AC 18
Advance! Those worms just keep coming. Kray and I will keep them off you. You kill the dwarves. Yes?

Crow knew Kray didn’t have an angle on rest of the worms, so she signaled him to move up while she took the two closest worms. She would advance once he was in place. Provided neither missed, they could work their way forward while letting the others focus on the other threats.

Rapid shot
Hit AC15 for 13
Hit AC28 for 14

That was an immense satisfaction in watching the disgusting crawlers fail around once she pinned them to the stone floor. Two more down. You are good to move nestmate

===========================================================

Previous : Ugly Inc : Chapter 3 : Den Upon the Sand : Part 2 | Next : Ugly Inc : Chapter 3 : Den Upon the Sand : Part 4