Back to Chapter 5 : The Quaan and Beyond : Part 7 | Next to Chapter 6 : Lair of Dreams : Part 2

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Date/Time: 22nd of Growth

Morning rose on the 22nd of Growth in Ptolus, but a knock on their door is what woke Vogh and Talin. Quickly the woman reached out with her mind powers and touched Thariad’s consciousness. The half-elf had been a captive in the Vladaam dungeons just over a month ago, and had been living beneath the lot on Brandywine street which Vogh and Talin had ‘procured’ from a certain dark-elf who met his maker at the end of Lord of Castle Shard Zavere’s magical sword. Degar Ravenspell, a dwarf wizard and Thariad Rivelost had both been trapped in the evil “Noble” house’s dungeon. The friends had not learned much about why Thariad had been kept there, except to learn that the half-elf was previously a slave purchased by the family. He had only been there a short time. Degar shared his fears that one of the horrible tieflings intended to do magical experiments on the slave, but couldn’t be certain. Degar, they knew, had angered the wizard Aliaster Vladaam after refusing to share any of his magical secrets with the tiefling.

In the week since they “legally” purchased the lot, with Talin posing as Shaelukar Darkfingers, an alias Shilukar had used in the city, Degar had been working to redeem evil magical items the group had recovered. The dwarf wizard had proven quite adept at the process, seeing the weapons not only losing their evil taint, but also that the magical redemption physically changed the appearance as well. Demon’s wings became angelic, skulls became peacefull faces, and more.

Thariad owed the friends a life debt, but had no martial or magical skills, so he had been working tirelessly around the property to thank them. It was the half-elf who had arranged for the lot to be completely cleaned, for a tent to be errected, and even to have empty crates brought beneath the tent to conceal the secret entrance to the basement area.

Opening the door Talin saw a grin that nearly took in Thariad’s only slightly pointed ears. “All the materials have arrived Sir, and ma’am. Stone. Glass. Wood. Everything is beneath the tent and ready for you.” He practically beamed with excitement. Formerly a slave, he had only been used for menial and degrading work, but his ability to manage this contruction project had shown he had some capability.

It was time for Vogh’s Lyre of Building to begin building to a crecendo…

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh and Talin had spent the previous two days mending the relationship with Telleth and the Minstrel. Though the assassination attempts weren’t their fault directly it did have an effect on the Minstrel. Though it seemed that word hadn’t gotten around too much as they were still quite busy as before. Vogh did a few other minor trips as well. She wanted to go to speak to someone about having slabs of iron delivered to the lot as well. She meant to add some to the structure to make it less likely that any divining could happen.

Vogh had also asked Bharash to help train with her on the minor details of two weapon combat. Vogh knew that she couldn’t be as adept as Bharash who had probably trained his whole life but she could and would get better.


On the 22nd day of growth Thariad had shown up and with the news he had, it had put a huge smile on Vogh’s face. This is wonderful news! We will return to the lot together. Let us get some breakfast and we will get some for Degar as well.

Vogh and Talin went to wake the others and said they would be downstairs having breakfast if they wanted to join.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
21st day of growth
The training with Bharash was well worth it and the crowds they drew were pretty cool as well. Vogh could tell that Bharash was holding back some, for she saw him in action and thus she knew he was not giving it his all. The training with both him and Belie who often used his two blades was well worth it in the end though.

22nd day after breakfast
Vogh had gathered all her things and so did Talin as they made their way to the main dining area. She gave Telleth a big hug and also a going away gift. [Private to GM: Small vial of exotic perfume (70gp)] A little token of my appreciation for all you have done for us here Telleth. You are a great friend!.

Vogh and whomever else was joining them went out the back way through the kitchen then as Vogh had asked. She told the others, With everything that has happened we need to be way more discrete in how we travel about town. It will make us a lesser target this way. Now, disguise yourselves however you like and we will head to our lot. I have a surprise to show you! Vogh then changed into a young blonde scraggly haired woman with plain clothes and an apron. Making her look like one of the kitchen staff. When her transformation was complete she exited into the alleyway. Talin looked over at one of the cooks and he disguised himself in a similar fashion then exited.

Once everyone was done and outside, they moved through the alleyways to one of the main roads. Vogh waved down a carriage so did Talin. By now Vogh and Talin had changed into another outfit and disguise of merchants traveling about town. This was the way of their lives from now on and it needed to become a ritual. Vogh piled in one carriage with Julia who looked like an elf and wearing fine clothes. Thariad still looked like himself and got in with Julia and Julia.

Talin got in the other and waited for the others to join him.

As planned Vogh and Talin had brought the carriages different routes but they both ended up about 200ft from the lair. Vogh was going to use her dimension-hopping spell to jump them to the lair. Once there they all looked at the lot. Thariad had already removed the tent. Vogh’s smiled increased greatly as she saw all the supplies that were there. Vogh pulled out the lyre and began playing her music. The process would take some time of course as she had elaborate thoughts in her mind for the construction materials to work.

As Vogh began to play, the stone began to move. It moved to different areas around the lot and connected itself forming a perimeter and then walls with slots for windows and doors. By now a group of people had formed along the street to see the amazing work being accomplished. The wonder of magic drawing many different comments from them as well. As the slots where made for the doors and windows, wood and glass began to float about and close in the spaces as well. It was quite miraculous and grand as the magic took hold of all the materials gathered and moved about the lot.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Most of the watchers seemed to be Guildsman District workers, captivated by the magic at work as they were going about their day. Ptolus was a city of magic, but the workaday individual seldom saw it up close.

One such bystander stood out to Vogh, an attractive young woman with firey red hair, who wore the Masons’ Guild symbol on the clasp which held together her green cloak. The lady caught Vogh’s eye and nodded to the bard while she played. Vogh saw no malice there, only excitement at watching the magic.

A contingent of City Watch showed up after a few minutes, to see what the traffic block was all about. A yellow sash across the City Watch blue tunic over chainmail marked the lead man a Constable. Seeing nothing in the way of danger, a few of the watchmen shooed people out of the way to open a path, then all eleven of the men simply stood and watched the proceedings.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Bharash isn’t present of course, at least not visibly… On the other hand, there is a suspiciously large half-orc gentleman wearing what looks like Watch-style banded armour (lacquered in non-Watch colours) in the crowd standing a comfortable six inches taller than most anyone else present, wearing a reasonably happy expression and occupying considerably more real estate than is strictly necessary for anyone smaller than Bharash himself.

Disguise Self is not, it would seem entirely without its limitations…

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh stood alone while she was strumming on the lyre. She had explained to the others that they shouldn’t all ‘hang out’ together. Vogh was in the guise of the woman she was when she purchased the lot at the administration building. This was just in case anyone would be watching. Vogh played for an hour straight and the building was beginning to take shape quite well. The first floor was completely built now to include doors and windows and the beautifully made deck leading up to the front double doors.

Vogh kept playing, paying close attention to the details in the work so as not to make a mistake.
07:52, Today: Vogh rolled 28 using 1d20+13.
The next hour went on and supplies flew all over the lot. The second story was complete. She added a balcony that overlooked the street and front door. There were quite a few windows on this floor as well but not much else for the interior was pretty plain with only being one big hall.

Keeping on with her playing, Vogh began with the third and final floor. She was getting tired though and in the middle of making the third floor her fingers had made a fatal mistake and the chord came out completely wrong which made Vogh stop playing. Nothing happened with the structure of the house thankfully, but she had to stop. Vogh tried to enact the music once more but she found that she had spent all the magic she could muster from the lyre for the day.
07:56, Today: Vogh rolled 14 using 1d20+13.

Vogh looked at the building and frowned. She had hoped to finish it, but it was not to be this day. She turned to see all that had gathered and called out to everyone, Thank you so much for gathering. I hoped you enjoyed the performance but the lyre’s magic is spent for the day. I am sorry that you weren’t able to see it completed today. Alas, I will return and finish it though so if you are wondering what it will look like you’ll just have to return next week when I will be able to use its powers once again.

Vogh then reached out with her mind to Thariad, Thariad it seems I couldn’t complete the work as desired. I will need you to get the tent to the third floor and cover the house with the tent so the interior doesn’t get ruined. I will not be able to complete it for a week so for now I think you and Degar should remain down in the celler.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The attractive young redhead walked up to Vogh and introduced herself. “Quite impressive. My name is Nalleth, and yours?”

After Vogh provided a name, real or otherwise the young lady continued.

“Nice to meet you Miss. I heard talk of a magic construction happening and had to rush right over. I’m actually a member of the Mason’s Guild and remember quite a stir among the guys when someone came in talking about building with magic. Very, very impressive ma’am. I’ve never seen The like.”

Nalleth looked over the project so far. “You said you’re unable to continue until next week? What a fascinating item.”

Looking over the instrument she listened to Vogh’s responses.

“You’ve nothing to worry about from me. I work for the guild, but I’m not deep-dyed or anything. I just work there. Not much use to them as I’m no great sculptor or stone worker you know?”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
When the attractive young redhead approached her and gave her name and then asked for hers, Vogh thought not to give her real name to keep up the facade she was playing. So, Vogh gave her new moniker to this Nalleth girl now, Greetings Nalleth, and thank you for the compliment. Though I must admit. The lyre is the one responsible for the building. It is only building what is in my head as I played it. My name is Samantha Tethrin, a pleasure to meet you. When Nalleth explained she was from the Mason’s Guild, Vogh was smiling wide. Oh, how fantastic, they certainly came through with the materials I needed for this. Samantha leaned in then and whispered, I definitely paid them enough for it all. Samantha stood straight again with a snicker. Would you like to return when I am done to see the rest of the construction? I can make sure to wait till you arrive if you do.

Vogh found the redhead alluring and wouldn’t mind sharing more time with her.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Nalleth listened along intently and nodded her head enthusiastically at the offer to watch. “Absolutely. Will you be back at it a week from today? If so, I’ll be certain to return. Do you think you’ll be able to finish the work on that day?”

After Vogh/Samantha explained, Nalleth had more questions. “So… Will this be a new business for you? Magical construction? Like I said, you have nothing to fear from me, but you might really upset some other folks in many of the guilds with such an item. Are you from Ptolus?”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh answered Nalleth, Yes a week from now I should be able to finish. I don’t think that I have too much left to do, to be honest. I really wish I had gotten the roof on but no luck there. With this Ptolus weather, you never know how much rain we will get in a week’s time.

When asked if she was from Ptolus, Vogh answered honestly, I really don’t know, I grew up in an orphanage. I don’t know if my parents were from here or somewhere else. As for the building, it will be a new business. I am an adventurer and will be selling my wares I find inside. Along with other adventuring items that people may need to survive the wide world or underground. I have sold a lot of the items at a fraction of the cost to Rastors and the Bull and Bear and thought I should be getting more money for my troubles.

Vogh went on further to talk about what she had learned as she bought the supplies, I won’t be using my magical device to start a business. I know from gathering all that I needed here that the guilds wouldn’t be happy with it all. I heard as much from them. What is it that you do if you don’t mind me asking?

===========================================================
Nalleth
———————————————————–
“You were an orphan too? Me too!” Nalleth wore a wide smile with the connection she found they shared. “I was actually given to the stone Mason’s Guild as a child to work. That’s what I’ve done ever since.” She dropped her head a bit. “Like I said, I’m not never going to be a great mason. Some reason I don’t have the stuff, to, you know, to make me good at it.” She crunched one side of her mouth into a half frown while shrugging just that one shoulder.“It’s wonderful that you went from being an orphan to a successful delver and land owner! That’s very impressive! Yeah. It makes a lot of sense to sell your stuff for all you can get out of it. The dungeons are so dangerous. I get the wealth can be a lot, but, dying makes it pointless.” Nalleth chuckled at that. “And yeah, so true, the guilds would freak if they weren’t needed anymore because of some musical instrument! Magic. So confusing. Are you magical too? I mean, like, can you… Use, or do, or whatever, magic? Or can you just use the, instrument, the thing there?”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

The big, completely anonymous half-orc in heavy armour with a pair of axes strapped to his enormous frame makes a deep and resonant ‘huh’ sort of sound at the conclusion of the display and then steps back to find a street vendor, from whom he purchases a sausage-inna-bun (with enough onions, anything is edible) which he proceeds to devour steadily as he drifts through the thinning crowd to a spot where he’s out of immediate earshot, but within yelling and charging range should anything go amiss.

Nonchalance, thy name is not Bharash.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh chuckled with Nalleth and then when she asked if Vogh could perform magic, Vogh nodded, Oh, yes I can cast magic as well. I can cast arcane magic but I cast it as a sorcerer does. Magic is just inside me and I don’t study a spellbook.

Vogh spotted the others mulling about as the crowd dispersed. Bharash was eating some bread with sausage or something inside and while Talin was chatting with an older man. The old man seemed to be quite happy as he talked to Talin.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Around 7 am on 22nd Growth

The air stirred around the party at their normal table in the Minstrel.

“My dear friends I am alive and well, do not fear. I am deep in research and hope to speak to you again tomorrow” the voice of Deacon on the wind spoke around the table.

OOC: POsted in wrong thread I think, I believe this happens before you leave the Minstrel.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
After a bit longer Vogh noticed Thariad up on the thirst floor. She spotted him through a window as he and most likely Degar began to bring the tent up onto the roof. She knew Thariad would perform the task well enough to make sure that the tent was secured to the building while still keeping everything dry on the inside as well.

Vogh noticed too that the crowd was all but gone now and so that left her, Bharash, Julia, and Talin and a few other street vendors on the street. Talin had finished talking with the older gentleman and moved to the back of the newly constructed house. Vogh said her goodbyes to Nalleth as she left to go back to work. Vogh promised to get word to her when she would once more conduct the magical building.

Vogh then went to the back yard and waited for everyone to show up before she would once more cast a dimension door to a different location and then called for a carriage to head back to The Minstrel. It was now about midday so a good meal was instore for the group. Of course they made sure none of it was poisoned before eating.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Date/Time: 23nd Growth Morning

Deacon met all of the friends, except Belie, in the Ghostly Minstrel common room the next morning. All of them were aware of several new faces standing around the Inn wearing full armor and an assortment of weapons. These new folks must have been in response to the recent attack right inside the Minstrel.

The assasination attempt had been the talk of the Inn since it happened. No one could believe that anyone was crazy enough to attempt an attack inside the place which was held so dear by so many powerful people. None of the Calling members might even need to lift a finger to exact revenge as rumors were circulating that many people wanted to find the guilty individual, or group, and teach them a lesson.

Deacon and Vogh had concocted a plan to track down the strange group who had waylayed the Archons outside Pythoness house. Deacon was going to cast a spell that would allow him to locate one of the objects he remembered, a human skull with chaos symbols all over it. Then both the elf and Vogh would cast dimension door spells to magically transport them all around the city in a grid pattern to allow Deacon’s detection to have maximum effect. Rather than ride around in a carriage, they could cover great amounts of ground in seconds.

[Private to GM: Vogh guided the group up into the Noble’s district, not far from her childhood home and actually in view of Castle Shard to begin the casting. Deacon cast his detection spell, then waited a few seconds before shaking his head, indicating he did not detect the item. Weaving magic in the air, the group held hands and magically jumped to the southern section of the Nobles’ area. They repeated this process until they were down in Oldtown, and Deacon’s eyes lit up. The elf nodded his head, indidicating he had found something. The group stood nearly center of Oldtown, and Deacon indicated they should head toward the Rivergate District as his spell was leading that way.]

Narrator posting as Deacon to move things forward.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
placeholder for some notes (invisible notes)

[Private to GM:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…ad/ghoul/ghoul-ghast
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…istings/undead/ghoul
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…ndead/cannibal-child
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…ucts/caryatid-column
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…beasts/forked-cat-kp
http://ericblische.com/NightofDissolution/
]

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Quite who’s paying for the armoured lads and lasses outside – not to mention what they’re expected to do in the event of a disguised assassin or some other nefarious scheme is a mystery to Bharash, but on the whole, he comes down on the side of it making people feel better and keeping the money in circulation, which all in all can’t be a bad thing.

Over breakfast, he listens to the scheme to cover the city in a series of divination spells which will allow them to determine whether or not one of the stolen items is in fact present in a given area – which he likes – although as far as he’s concerned, the wheels come off a little when they propose to start teleporting around the place in broad daylight, something which causes him to groan audibly and then – one way or another – dragonbornhandle the two spellcasters over to the window, pointing to the street outside.

“You two see anything unusual out there?” he asks, naturally enough trying – and not for the first time – to drive home the notion that there are some things that normal people just don’t do, and which therefore draw attention when adventurers do “No? That’s because there isn’t anything unusual. Such as fancifully dressed adventurers popping in and out of sight in the middle of a crowded street or an occupied alley or on some random rooftop. Who would, I bloody promise you, draw the notice of someone. Look, the city is only a couple of miles across and about four long. If we don’t do it at rush hour, we can just get a carriage then no-one’ll see you spellcasting and we can pick up groceries if we want to.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon was pleased to find his friends were well. He was saddened to hear they had been asked to leave the Minstrel. He was very familiar with the place which made the use of his spells easier. A new place would require additional time to study, time away from his library.

He listened to Vogh’s plan and he shook his head. “My dear friend, you are forgetting the assassins. Though I could cover the city in a day as you suggest it would leave us vulnerable with many of my higher spells used up just to accommodate the search. Then even if we did find it we would not be prepared to investigate and should the assassin be watching we’d be unable to fend off an attack such as the one just a few days ago. I have no doubt they have not given up. We can use your plan but it will require more time, spread out over many days or even weeks. That is the safest way to proceed I think,” he told Vogh.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh thought about what Bharash and the Deacon had to say. Each of them made good points about different subjects. Vogh then addressed Deacon, Deacon I understand what you are saying. It would take quite a bit of your upper-tier arcane spells away which would leave you more vulnerable. Though it would only be you. We may even get lucky and find it before using many of the spells. If we decided to do it over many days the objects could move into an area that we had checked already and then we would never find it. But, nonetheless, the rest of us would be more than capable to fight if we needed to. You also have Yaeshla to use and I am sure she would be more than ready to make sure you weren’t helpless.

Vogh then turned to Bharash, Bharash, you are quite right. Popping in and out all over town may catch someone’s attention but if we did it under the guise of darkness then that would be less likely. Though after Deacon’s worry about using up his spells we could use a bit of both of the options. Hear me out, We goto our first location in a carriage and Deacon can cast his spell to locate the object. We then take the carriage to the next area and if your spell is still in use then we can see if it is near. We can repeat this however many times as you are wanting to cast locate object.(if you use your 2nd and 3rd level spells that is 11 times. Which leaves your upper level and 1st level spells free. If you extend your locate object maybe we can use it for two places and not just one.) The castings would be inside the carriage and not be seen by anyone which would help keep us out of sight.

What do you both think?

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–

“I think Bharash is right attracting attention to ourselves by porting about and looking for trouble is very likely to attract the attention of the assassins, thus it is not possible to devote more than a few spells to this endeavor on a day. I’ve recently got a pearl that would allow me to recall a cast spell of the second order giving me one additional casting of a second order spell. Locate Object is one such spell,”
Deacon explains.

“There might be another more efficient way. I do not have the money for such right now but if we had a lesser widen metamagic rod we could extend the area of up to three locate object spells a day. That would enable it to cover a much greater area than currently. Currently the spell when cast at my ability can cover an area of approximately 2.2 million square feet. With the rod I could cover an area of 8.8 million square feet in a single casting. Such a rod would typically run around 1500 gold pieces. If you are willing to share your scrying mirror with me I could put 1,000 gold pieces towards the lesser widen metamagic rod but I’d need 500 gold pieces more to get it, and we would have to check the stores to see if in stock. I need to run by and order a small statue of myself from Shem’s Statuary anyway,” Deacon suggests.

OOC: Actually it would be 12 because of the new headband 13 because of the pearl. But yeah I’m not devoting that much to one we have to be ready for an attack at any time. Also there is no guarantee that it’s just 1 assassin next time, 1 failed he might have partners next time.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh just sighed as Deacon spoke. This was something that honestly didn’t concern her. It was The Archeons that had gotten robbed and not her and Talin. If Deacon wanted to do it his way then so be it she wouldn’t argue and was done giving any suggestions.

I think I am going to go for a nice steam bath at the bathhouses. I don’t have much else happening today. Any who would like to join me are welcome. Vogh said once she was done eating. It was obvious she had had enough talk of their previous conversation.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Under the guise of darkness. When only the Littorians, Elves, Planetouched and who knows who else throng the streets taking advantage of the relative quiet.” Bharash observes with a faint smile, reminding himself not for the first time that he seems to be the only one of the group who actually uses their time to go out and live in the massive, sprawling city that is their home, “But yes. It’s about a shiny to go from anywhere in the city to anywhere else and it doesn’t take long… And, better yet if we plan it out right, we can actually do things where we’re going.”

Then Deacon chips in and he groans, “Let’s not overcomplicate things, okay? We get in a carriage and we go to the market, cast a spell and pick up groceries. We get back in the carriage, head to the waterfront, cast the spell and eat lunch watching the waves. We get back in the carriage, go to the theatre, cast it again and take in a show… We’re not in a hurry, and we actually get to make a day of it instead of rushing around throwing money and magic at our problems.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon was surprised that his pointing out the flaws in the plan Vogh laid out had been received so poorly and that she had walked away from the conversation. He had thought they could hash out a plan that would ensure they could do find the items and also that would safeguard the party. It was a bit disheartening to the wizard but he did not protest as they left, perhaps they’d come around later if they had a plan ready to present. I mean he really hadn’t thought much about this plan only in the few moments. He wished Vogh understood that he was only thinking of the greater safety of the party, he had no doubt the assassin would try again.

Something had puzzled him about the attack though. Why had the assassin sought to paralyze them first rather than outright killing them? There must be more to his instruction than simply killing them or he’d gone for a killshot first. Perhaps he was to bring them before his employer before killing them. It was most strange Deacon thought as he sat listening now to Bharash.

“Well that’s an idea that would draw less attention. I think it’s a workable plan especially if spread over a few days. I suspect if they were going to put it into a place protected from divination they would already have done so. I doubt they’d move such valuable items daily or even weekly for fear they’d lose them again,” he told Bharash

“It’s a shame the bards left and did not continue the conversation I believe we should stick together as much as possible. I wasn’t able to find the spell yet to link our minds as I had hoped. That would have been most useful. I have found several useful spells though. I need some components for them. Would you like to go shopping with me Julia and Bharash?” he asked.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia had listened to all of the conversations between Vogh, Deacon, and Bharash. They all made good points about what would be the safest and fastest way to find the items while ensuring that their safety was first. With a few assassination attempts on their lives the last few days, Julia liked that Deacon and Bharash were thinking about that.

When Vogh stepped away from the table after she was done eating and stated she was going to the bathhouses, Julia thought that that sounded like a very good idea as well, but when Deacon asked if she could accompany him and Bharash Julia replied, “Yes, of course Deacon I would be happy to go shopping, I mean what woman doesn’t enjoy that?” She said with a giggle at the end.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Great, always good to have some company in these times. Anything you need while we are shopping?” Deacon asks Julia.

He turns to Bharash, “You coming big guy?”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia thought about it and only shrugged, “Does a girl need to have a need to do a bit of shopping?” She said with another giggle. “Maybe a nice dress. If we all keep being invited to fancy things I will need a broader wardrobe.”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“I might as well. I’m not sure about hunting these folks down without the others, but… Well, nothing stops us finding them. Give me a moment to grab my armour, I’ll sling the bag over my shoulder in case we need it.” Bharash states, since even with the illusion that makes it seem normal and the strength he possesses – enough to make even steel, let alone mithril seem little more than cheesecloth – he’s not about to go stomping around in plate metal all day.

People would talk!

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Let’s head to oldtown then,” Deacon suggests.

“Oh before we go let’s make sure we are at least attempting to go incognito,” he said as he uses his helm to become a human dressed in a craftsman’s apron and attire. “Might through them off some at least.”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
“Deacon, as we go, do you want to cast the locate spell since we are out and about?” Julia asked as she too used the magic of the pin in her hair to make her look like an elven merchant.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“I don’t have the spell prepared today. I was not expecting to need it today. I could swap out a spell for it but there might be more pressing needs this day. I think we should probably return near where they took it from us and cast there first. It might be possible that they are local to that area and thus we could have a stroke of luck at the beginning, but we’d need the bards to get it back I believe,” Deacon confided in Julia.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia didn’t understand Deacon’s hesitance to use some of his earlier learned spells to just see if they could locate the object but he was most likely right that they would need the assistance of Vogh, Talin, and probably Belie in order to get the weapons back that was taken from them. “It couldn’t hurt to do the spell though maybe once or twice. We don’t need to get close to where they might be and then we can just bring the information to them and ask for their help. We have done a lot together and if we ask I am certain they will aid us in this. Besides, they would be helping the city be rid of some bad guys as well.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Well I don’t suppose it would hurt to cast it once we are in old town. If they were looking to sell it that’s probably where they’d sell it near Dweomer street, but I don’t think they were the selling type. Still I suppose we could eliminate it as a possibility. We could even check on perhaps a lesser widen metamagic rod before casting it, extending it’s range if we can find one we can afford. That would allow us to cover the city with fewer spells,” Deacon said conceding to Julia’s request.

“After that we might need to get as close as we can to the point where they took it from us and cast it there. Might be a lead there for us if the market doesn’t work out. I’ll have to take a moment to swap out some spells give me a moment while you finish breakfast,” he said.

He then takes his spellbook out and examines it taking a couple moments to swap out a couple spells.

OOC:

Will swap out:

Anaon’s Nondetection for a Locate Object ( I don’t have the diamond dust to cast it yet anyway ), costs 1 pool point leaving 7 points in my pool. Takes 1 full round.
Then replace 1 Splinter Spell Resistance with another Locate Object. costing another pool point lowering it to 6 points.

SPELLS PREPARED:

0: 4
1: 4 + 2
2: 4 + 2
3: 4 + 2
4: 3 + 1
5: 2 + 1
6: 1 + 1

0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Poison
1: Grease, Shield, Magic Missile, Magic Missile, Feather Fall, Ray of
Enfeeblement
2: Splinter Spell Resistance, Splinter Spell Resistance Locate Object,
Admonishing Ray, Admonishing Ray, Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray
3: Gloomblind Bolts, Gloomblind Bolts, Dispel Magic, Summon Monster III,
Haste, Anaon’s Nondetection Locate Object
4: Summon Monster IV, Summon Monster IV, Evard’s Black Tentacles,
Mage Armor II
5: Stone Wall, Teleport, Teleport
6: Summon Monster VI, Disintegrate

[Private to Narrator GM: note I do realize that a widen metamagic rod is worth way more than Deacon thought, he was thinking same rice as his extend one but of course widen is +3 and extend is only +1…so even if they have it I don’t think we could scrape together funding just a RP opportunity, after all Deacon is not practiced in metamagic or crafting magical items.]

 

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“From what I understand about it – which isn’t much, but I’ve a working knowledge – the spell doesn’t cost much of anything to actually cast, so using it more than once only occupies time. If we fit it in while doing other things, and don’t over-invest we should be fine.” Bharash notes, once he’s come back down with a slithery, bulky bag slung over one shoulder, no doubt filled with his suit of full plate armour. He glances over his shoulder at it, then thoughtfully adds “I might invest in a chain shirt while I’m out actually. Something I can wear ‘around the town’ instead of all the battle rattle. It fits well, but with the best will in the world it’s not exactly what you’d call daily wear.”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
As they moved toward their destination talking along the way, (I assume we are walking and talking?) Julia grabs Deacons’ hand when he gives in to her little plea. She wanted revenge as much as Deacon and Bharash she thought and just wanted to make certain that they weren’t missing an opportunity. “That sounds wise. Now let’s find the things we are looking for huh?” Julia said as she let go of his hand and began to look about as if in wonder of the city, when in reality she was looking for any dangers, like assassins.

===========================================================
Yaeshla (NPC)
———————————————————–
Deacon’s staff spoke out as they left the Minstrel and began walking. Unfortunately the wizard couldn’t hear her speak, which frustrated her greatly.

“Julia. Bharash. Remind Deacon that I am here to help! “

Devoid of a mouth with lips for Deacon to read, and incapable of telepaty – which the wizard would likely need to look into adding to her abilities – Yaeshla had no way to communicate with Deacon.

“It’s so frustrating that he can’t hear me! We’ve got to find a way for me to speak into his mind directly. So we’re going searching for some stuff stolen from you? I wasn’t with you in this Pythoness house I heard you all speaking about. Nor was I whole at that time.”

The dragon warrior and lady oracle could hear the frustration in her voice reminiscing about being in her broken state.

“What happened? Do we get to attack the people who stole from you? This deamon looking man and the other non-human creatures? Uh… no offense Bharash.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon accepted Julia’s hand in the hand that wasn’t holding the staff. They moved as at a leisurely pace so as not to attract attention. Deacon was thinking to himself not able to hear the staff. To make his disguises more effective he needed to learn more languages. It would do no good to disguise oneself as a dwarf and not be able to speak dwarf, same for a halfling or gnome. So much still to learn.

“It’s not the cost of the spell itself friend Bharash, my ability to change spells after they have been prepared is limited. I have taken the opportunity before we left the Minstrel to swap out two spells for them. I need material components for Anaon’s Nondetection. It requires diamond dust. Though it should adequately protect me from being found magically by the assassin. I need to find a communal version of it as well, I’m sure there is one in the library but having been gathered over centuries there is no real rhyme or reason it seems to how the books were stored. In my opinion a shelf was added as the previous one was filled. Thus books by the same wizard might be on different shelves, and could even be separated by dozens if not hundreds of shelves depending on how long they lived,”
Deacon rattled on.

“Oh I wish I had more funds and time to spend there I still have a few funds set aside to get a few last spells but I do need some adventuring say after our big meeting a week from the assassin’s attack. I’ll need some funds to get more spells, and I need a few other things. I need that statuette of myself and since Vogh stormed off I guess I need my own scrying mirror. I might could even scry those fellows that took the items from us, though I bet they are protected, it might be another way to get clues about the location of our lifted treasure,” he continues.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia took the time to relay what Yaeshla had wanted to say to Deacon, “Yaeshla wishes she could somehow speak to you telepathically, she asked, “What happened? Do we get to attack the people who stole from you? This deamon looking man and the other non-human creatures? Uh… no offense Bharash.” Julia of course made sure to talk facing Deacon and a bit slower than she always spoke.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“I doubt they give it up without a fight. I had been looking for a Telepathic Bond spell as well, however I’ve not been able to locate it either. With it I should be able to link my mind with others, including Yaeshla,” he said pausing a moment, “Though I’m not sure about that given the magic of Yaeshla it might be beyond my means to create such a link with an artifact. We surely will try it as soon as I can find a copy of the spell.”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
The burly, gruff-looking Gnoll woman padding alongside the two adventurers, wearing a lightly jingling suit of chain armour and a heavy bow over her shoulder – an unusual choice for Bharash, but one he seems to have visualised in great detail – starts abruptly when the stick starts talking again, leading to her looking back over at the mage and blinking before stifling a helpless, feminine cackle and gruffly commenting on something or other in gutter Gnollish that sounds breathtakingly dirty.

“Sounds like you need to lay off the books and do some adventuring to raise a little cash. Oh, and your stick’s talking to you.” she answers, the latter more or less as Julia does, then letting Deacon amble on with his scheme… Only pausing to roll her eyes when both of them refer to her as Bharash, leading to her observing “You know, these disguises would probably work a lot better if we didn’t keep addressing each other by name.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group made their way down Center Street then turned onto Emperor’s Road to make the steep climb up into Oldtown. Sweet smells wafted out of Ramoro’s Bakery as the first made the turn, then the sweet smell of fresh cut wood greeted them from the Wood Market before they finally started the steepest part of the trek up onto the higher plateau which held Oldtown. Both sides of the road had buildings, one side higher than the other to accomodate the nearly fourty-five degree up angle. The cliffs fell away to the side, but thankfully for those with weak stomach’s for heights, the buildings obscured vision of the drop.

Passing in the opposite direction was the grizzly sight of a ratcather and his dog, with a cart full of rat tails, dripping blood onto the street’s stones as he passed. Fully orc blodded, the man had short, wavy black hair and bright green eyes that matched his skin. His nearly seven foot tall frame was beefy, with muscles rippling beneath his jerkin. A triangular, creepy face was kept in a squint while pulling the cart himself. He paid the trio no mind as he passed, clearly heading to collect gold for the tails.

Fully in Oldtown, with the road starting to level out some, they also passed the domed structure which contained the Delver’s Guild Library and Maproom. Finally, they entered the area known as Dweomer Street. Not actually a street, within the heart of Oldtown, the residential area surrounding Vock Row in the northeast part of the district was known by most as Dweomer Street, so named because it was the most fashionable area in town for arcanists to live.

Vock Row, the actual street, had become host to a number of towers and rather large homes, many prominently bearing the unique arcane mark which represented each inhabitant as surely as a coat of arms represented the noble houses. Most homes were converted to house a laboratory or workshop as well as living quarters. Not surprisingly, Dweomer Street also hosted a number of shops which sold spell components, alchemical substances, laboratory equipment and specialized tools, raw materials for magic item creation, and other unique items that a wizard or sorcerer might need. There was even a magefocused bar and eatery called the Pointy Hat, so named because of the habit (long out of fashion) of old-school wizards to wear tall, pointed hats with moons and stars on them.

First on Vock Row was actually The Games House. Two interesting magic-related sporting events are held in this large, round building. The first, called simply “the Mage Game,” involved two teams attempting to score points by putting a frictionless ball into the opposing goal, using either physical or magical skill. Most players used fly spells, although expeditious retreat and true strike received heavy use as well.

The other, newer, event is the golem fights. This expensive diversion involves magical constructs crafted by local mages battling each other for sport. The Inverted Pyramid sponsored both events. While anyone may attend an event in person, when a game is in session the Games House becomes one of the most heavily scried places in the city.

Next was Tess’ Cauldron, specializing in all manner of spell components. Further down was West Town Mixtures, a shop for all thing alchemical. The Pointy Hat was near the end of the street, Naillis Deverini, the gentlemen gnome sorcerer had worked hard to build the reputation of the place to be high class and caliber.

OOC: Remember, you may comment, divert, add, and downright change everything I just posted. If you stop and talk to a begger for an hour, that’s totally fine. If you want to divert and go into some totally random shop, that’s fine too. I just type out a bunch of story and then we work with it. 😀

[Private to GM: Xuk Hellaxe is a 29 year old male orc rat-catcher.

Strength 21 (+6)
Dexterity 5 (-2)
Constitution 22 (+6)
Intellect 5 (-2)
Wisdom 9 (0)
Charisma 11 (+1)

He quietly worships Torm, God of duty, loyalty, obedience, paladins. (Lawful Good)
He is very talkative.
He has a story for everything.

Relationship Status: Married]

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Ms Bharash, the Gnoll vanishes in a fashion barely short of magical as the group walk up Emperors Road, returning a few moments later with a large waxed-paper bag containing a dozen honey-and-nut pastries she eagerly bought from Carlatia at her husbands bakery… Four of which are then reluctantly handed over – two each – to Deacon and Julia while the remainder vanish one by one into a Gnollish stomach.

The ratcatcher gets a speculative, pursed-muzzle look-over that’s entirely unlike Bharash, but somehow has a natural quality about it that suggests he’s copying someone whose mannerisms he knows well and from there, she doesn’t say much until they’re passing the guild, which brings on the comment “I need to swing by the Delvers Guild at some point. Got to talk about how Belle can put an article into The Undergrounder

The magic district proper has little for Bharash or the Gnoll he’s passing himself off as of course, but that doesn’t mean that she’s not at least tolerable company, as she pokes her nose into the smaller stalls and before long, has a tall, cheap mug of mage-cooled sharbat to sip upon as they browse.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
OOC: Since when was Bharash a gnoll woman?

Deacon saw Bharash desires be reading his lips, “We might could check for employment in there as well, might be something to make a quick buck on after we shop a little.”


“First though to please the ladies some I’ll check here before we go into a shop,”
he stated. He let go of Julia’s hands for the moment while stopping in the middle of Vrock Row. He then cast the Locate Object before going into any of the stores without a word, taking time to see if he could sense the location of the skull with chaos symbols. He visualized in his mind the skull as he waited to see if there was any sort of connection to it.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia took the pastry that the gnoll woman gave her. It was very fresh and before she had even a bite, Bharash had one of the pastries swallowed. “These are really good!” She stated after taking a few bites of hers.

When they got to Vrock row and Deacon had cast his spell to see if anything was near Julia turned once more back to the gnoll woman what was Bharash, “If you can get more delicious pastries like those I would be much obliged my dear!”

Once they ducked into a building Julia asked Deacon if he had sensed anything.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Deacon was very surprised that he felt a twinge at the very, very edge of his spell, just the faintest ping. Standing on Vock Row, he looked to the North and realized the detection was leading him that way.

OOC: So funny you all decided to go here first, rather than the Noble’s district. haha. Fortuitous. Serendipitous. Random. 🙂

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon starts moving in the direction that the spell indicates. “This way, I’m detecting it at the limits of the spell. We can make it I believe even through these streets,” he told the others for now forgetting about the shopping.

I mostly wanted to come here to get focuses and components..

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
OOC: Since you all got him a hat of disguise and told him to look different. He was an orc at the building site. Right now, he’s copying a very specific person he knows and quietly giggling about how angry she would be at him if she caught him, shortly followed by her shouting Daaaaaaad! ^_^

The Gnoll muzzle makes lip reading an entirely different challenge to the usual one Bharash presents to a lip reader – the lack of looks being a big one no longer the case here – but Ms Bharash is an obliging sort, happy to repeat herself in an only slightly grumpy sort of way. Commenting on the bakery gets Julia a cheerful “I know, right? But if I go back before the afternoon bake, Carlatia will throw something at me. Got to leave some for the other customers.” that suggests that this bakery too, the burly warrior knows well.

He really has been getting out and about in between adventures, have he… Uhm, she?

When Deacons spell triggers a hit though, she grins in a bright, vicious way and bounces on her pads in the fashion of a normal girl who’s just seen a really nice dress then proposes “Then let’s scout them out some and bring the others for a good stomping… I’m up for some payback.”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia was totally surprised that they got a hit on Deacon’s spell to find any of the items they had taken from them. “I think that is a good idea. We can find where it is and then I can head back to get Vogh and Talin, and possibly Belie as well. I think it would be wise to get him as well!”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group made their way down Vock Row until they reached the intersection of Ridge Road. No buildings obstructed the view over the cliff’s edge, plummeting down into Midtown. All three noticed a strange shadow was cast across Vock and Ridge Roads, as if a tower was casting the shadow, but no tower was present… Shrugging this off, they turned north and moved toward the bridge over Wings Falls which lead into Rivergate, but Deacon’s spell pulled him to the left, back toward the Spire, on Tower Road.

They passed three beautiful manor houses with espansive front gardens that backed up to the cliffs, then between large buildings lining both sides of the street. Deacon’s spell indicated they needed to go North, but they had no way to do it for a span. Halfway from the bend in Tower Road to the Empress Square which sported the Clock Tower, Deacon realized the spell was indicating he should go backward.

Together the three turned and found a small side street which allowed them to pass between the large buildings. Little more than an alley, the narrow road led them to an apartment house. Two stories of wooden construction, the multi-tenant dwelling had a covered entrance and wide door. Deacon knew the item was inside this buliding, or rather, quite possibly beneath it based on the strength of his spell’s indication. A half circle of three steps led up to the front door. Oddly, there were no windows on the exterior of the home. Nailed above the door was the address of the apartment, and its name, “Confluence Village Apartments”.

OOC: The red dot is the apartment.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon motions towards the house telling Bharash and Julia “I believe it is in there or perhaps in a basement or cellar. Confluence Village Apartments, I wonder if Vogh or Talin might know anything about it? What do you think my friends?”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“I think classic upward-mobility address. A crummy building with a lot of people in a nice district probably means lots of professional types that want the prestige without having the money for something better. Probably means a bunch of nosy status-sniffers that’ll be starting at a group like us through their curtains already.” Ms Bharash remarks, scratching her mane for a moment then adding thoughtfully “But y’know, maybe we could see what the word on the street is. Anyone know folks around here, or have a knack for teasing out gossip?”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon not used to the gnoll disguise misses the lips of Bharash and waits for a response from his friends patiently.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia chuckled. “That’s normally Belie’s job. Or the bards. Since we’ve got a good idea of the… thing’s location. Maybe we should send for them? Bharash, you could head back to the Minstrel to see if they are around, or their… house. If you wanted, you could also swing by the Welcome to see if Belie is there and bring him back too?”

She made sure to speak where Deacon could hear, but also kept her voice down to avoid eavesdroppers.

“Deacon and I can stay near. If you take a carriage, it shouldn’t take you long at all.”

[Private to GM: OOC: Hope you don’t mind. I just wanted to post to see if we could move this forward faster.]

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“The spell won’t last that long, we should go back to shopping for some needed supplies. Once we are done we can return and check again, perhaps by then the carriage will be back,” Deacon said.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Suppose I could. At least that way I’ll be contributing. Find a half-decent cafe somewhere nearby to set up in and I’ll be as quick as I can.” Ms Bharash replies, turning and strolling off with a tip of her forelock to the two, picking up into a modest jog as she hits the street corner, since truth be told with the traffic in the city the way it is, it’s not significantly faster to take the carriage and that’s one less shiny spent in exchange for a chance for a bit of a jog.

OOC: Whither shall I find the others? Starting at the bath-house, I think…

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia was of the mindset that if the item was here now it will probably be here in an hour as well so keeping an eye on the place probably isn’t needed at this time.

“Okay I think we can head back and do that shopping that you need to do but I think we should take only two hours and then meet back across the street with everyone, m’lady, is able to gather.” Julia said m’lady to Bharash and then looked back to Deacon, “Let’s get moving!”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh and Talin were enjoying themselves at the bathhouse. The temperature was way warmer than outside and the heat just made the muscles feel much better. They had just finished up washing off from a salt bath and was at the counter giving a tip to the attendant for a nice time when they heard the door open behind them.

Vogh turned to see a female gnoll enter, thinking it a bit odd Vogh looked a bit closer to see if perhaps it was magic.

Vogh casts detect magic quickly to see.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon looked about the area studying it. “A moment. Let me get a feel for this area first,” he told them taking the remainder of the spells few minutes to study the area looking for shadows or other places where someone might teleport without danger or observation should the need arise.

Once finished he will nod to Julia, “I am ready to go shop now.”

They then headed to the main shopping avenue again and Deacon looked over the shops to see which might be the most successful in finding components he needed.

He needed to commission/find:

Ivory Statuette of Himself (Contingency)
Silver Mirror (Scrying)
Diamond Dust (Nondetection)
Gold Dust (Arcane Lock)

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Deacon Havenhold

Tess Essani was the sole owner, operator and employee at Tess’ Cauldron back on Vock Row. Inside was a wizard’s delight, spell components, and all maner of equipment were on the packed shelves. There was little room to even pass between the many shelves in the shop. Everything was clearly labeled and impeccably clean, with not a speck of dust to be found.

Standing midway between five and six feet the older woman had a slight build. Her silver hair was braided tighly and fell past her waist. Gray eyes met them with a smile as they entered, looking up from a book she was reading on the countertop.

“Well, Master Deacon, a please to see you once again. A little birdie told me you have been inducted into the Pyramid. Congratulations.” It was obvious Tess remembered the wizard, and also that he was deaf, in the way she spoke a little too slowly and making sure to enunciate each word.

“And what may I gather for you today?” She nodded along as Deacon detailed the items he needed. “You’re in luck. I can accomodate all of those today!”

Tess moved about the shop quickly and efficiently after coming out from behind the counter, walking straight to each item on the shelf and returning with everything. A solid hunk of ivory she sat upright on the countertop. “Give me a moment and I’ll cast a spell to have this carved into your likeness.”

She went into casting and indeed an unseen hand began chipping and carving away at the hard bone. Starting at the top, Deacon’s hair began to take shape, then his facial features appeared out of the block. In a few minutes a near perfect representation of him in the stark white material stood before them on the counter. The feet were attached to about an inch of the material left in a block form that made it sturdy, and also able to stand with no issues.

“Platinum today I hope?”

[Private to GM: She is organizing a pie eating competition. The prize will be a magical watch.

She rolls her “R”s profusely.
She quietly worships Kossuth, God of fire, purification through fire. (True Neutral)
She uses sarcasm and insults commonly.
She is very talkative.
She doesn’t like listening to jokes.]

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Vogh

Vogh could see the magical aura of illusion around the female gnoll, but her spell didn’t penetrate the disguise. Still, she knew that what stood before here was likely not one of the kanine creatures.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon had stopped and withdrew enough money for what he felt were his purchases for the day. He had withdrawn 2,600 gp from his Vault account for shopping.

“Thank you,” Deacon said when congratulated about his membership in the Inverted Pyramid.

Ivory Statuette 1,500 gp
Silver Mirror 1,000 gp
Gold Dust 25 gp (1 casting Arcane Lock)
Diamond Dust 50 gp (1 casting Nondetection)

He decided to spend the other 25 gp on a second castings worth of gold dust bringing his total to 2,600 gp.

He would put a sack of 260 pp on the counter for his purchases.

“Yep I got it in platinum for you and well for me to, easier to carry that way,” he commented. “I was curious, what do you know about Confluence Village Apartments?” he asked.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia had looked around at all the items in the shop. She really hadn’t wanted to purchase anything but looked anyway as you never know when something might jump out at you. Once they were done she gave Deacon a nod and then headed back to where they would meet everyone else.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
Vogh’s knee-jerk racism* turns out to be well founded at least to judge from the magical aura wrapped around the towering woman in mail armour, who casts about for a few moments before strolling easily over to where the two adventurers are soaking and hunkers down, crouching by the side of the pool to lift an entirely imaginary pair of glasses from her muzzle and rumble softly “Pssst. ‘Tis I, Bharash. Look, we found one of the stolen things, the others are waiting on you. You want to come, or shall we call it off for another day?”

* Gnolls are absolutely allowed to bathe! Even if most don’t. ^_^

DM change: they aren’t soaking but standing and paying

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
When the gnoll female came up to her and Talin, Vogh was ready to react but when the female bent low and spoke in a whisper, Vogh listened.

Vogh then whispered back and said, Really? How lucky! Okay, give us a moment to change and we will come with. Are we getting Belie as well?

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Once Vogh, Talin and Bharash had discussed the situation at the bathhouse, they three made way toward the Welcome Inn where they hoped to find their rogue friend. Leaving the Row Bathhouse in Midtown they hustled down near the South Gate where Belie’s semi-permenant home sat, the Welcome Inn, right beside the little shop he and his halfling friend, Jamir, were setting up called Miraj Toys.

Of course the three friends knew this new venture was little more than a cover for two things, Belie and Jamir’s budding information network, and also to eventually launder gold mined by the gnomes deep beneath their feet.

Vogh let Valene Schuk, the wife of Markus and co-owner of the Inn, know who she was quietly and asked after Belie’s wereabouts. The elder lady told her to knock on the door next door as he and Jamir were at work inside the shop.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie and Jamir heard a knock at the door and in a femine voice Belie called out to discover who came calling. Vogh touched his mind with her telepathy and he immediately opened the door to admit the three friends.

“Welcome to Miraj Toys my friends!”

The inside of the shop was just starting to take shape. A few shelves sat mostly empty. The halfling Jamir sat atop a tall stool which brought him level with the human height counter. Strewn across the counter was all manner of materials, wood, iron, springs, little gears and wheels, and more for making toys.

Belie moved over to one shelf which held a few toys and picked up a small carriage with two horses and an empty seat. “You must see this.” He beamed, setting the carriage on the countertop. Belie spoke the phrase, “Gidyup!” and magically the horses began to walk forward, pulling the carriage. “Isn’t that just divine? The kids are going to love Jamir’s creations.”

Wearing a half smile the halfling shrugged at the compliment. “It’s not much about the toys, but I must admit, I do rather enjoy the work.”

Vogh explained the situation with Deacon getting impossibly lucky after only a single casting of his location spell. The rogue nodded in understanding and was happy to accompany them. “Remember to lock up after we leave.”

Jamir shook his head with a funny smile on his face, “Yes mother…” which only made Belie chuckle.

Belie grabbed his magical backpack from behind the counter and strapped it on his shoulders, then focused on the magic of his hat to make it disappear entirely, leaving only his new cloak visible, which the bards and Bharash just saw for the first time. This black cloak was heavy and trimmed with silver brocade, all of them heard a slight jingle as Belie tossed it around him and buckled the silver clasp by his throad.

Hustling the group of six were reunited near the apartment house and looking it over.

“No windows on the outside… that’s strange…” The rogue noted as he looked over the building with the rest of them.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
With everyone gathered now, they looked on at the place. Vogh saw what Belie did, no windows. while odd it could serve as protection against passersby seeing anything inside. “It is odd, but it gives me credence that something nefarious is happening inside. How do we want to do this? Cast some protection spells and then go to the door to see what is what? I am not one to just break into a place but it may be our only option at this point. If we go in unannounced it will certainly give us the surprise.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
POST # 6000!!! WHAT A MILESTONE!!! 😀 😀 😀

Tess blanched at Deacon’s question, then narrowed her eyes a bit and scrutinized the wizard closely. “Confluence Village? Just off Tower Road and down the alley toward the cliffs? Why do you ask…?”

Both Deacon and Julia could tell the woman knew something, but neither was sure what.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia wasn’t sure if they should say what it was they wanted the information for or not so she decided to give some explanation of why. “We aren’t quite sure what is going on there but we have need to know more about the place. It could mean life or death depending on the information that is given.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Again Tess looked them over. Both friends could see concern wash over her face which seamed to pass into determination at Julia’s words.

“I haven’t seen anything personally, but several reliable friends have told me of very strange happenings there lately. Strange sounds at night. No one coming or going. Dellam, owner of the Boiling Pot, is a close friend. He has a server who lives there, who hasn’t shown up to work for several days. He sent someone over to check on her, but all knocking at the door went unanswered. Ellynn is the girls name, I believe.”

Gulping in concern, Tess shook her head. “I don’t have to tell you all that the whole city seems to be going a little crazy lately. I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors of bodies being found in alleys all over the city come morning. It’s like there is some kind of covert war happening at night. Several good customers who have long lived in Ptolus decided to depart, fearing something coming. Something bad. I don’t know what they fear, but it certainly seems the city is under a pall of fear. I’ve no children myself, but if I had, I would likely take them from here too.”

Turning away from the counter the elder woman reached into a small, glass door cabinet and produced a small, stoppered bottle of dark liquid. She also produced a single cup, poured a small amount and took a deep drink.

“Sorry. Something to calm the nerves.” Was all Tess offered as she returned to speak with them. “Listen, I won’t ask what business you have in the apartment building, but if you find word of Ellynn, I would appreciate it, for Dellam’s sake. Be careful out there.”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
The goings on in the city was a worry Julia had as well but if it was a turf war between thief guilds or crime families she didn’t want anything to do with them, let them kill each other off was her thought. But if it were something else that was happening then Julia would like to find out and deal with it if possible.

I can take a look for the serving girl for sure. Maybe she is just sick, you never know with these things. Thank you so much for all your information.

If Deacon didn’t have anything else she would ask to leave and then when outside she would say to Deacon, Strange happenings are night? I am glad we are going to go in there when it is light out. Maybe it will be to our advantage.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Thank you, some things of interest we once held seem to track to that location. What can you tell me about the girl? What does she look like? Do you know anything that might help us identify her?” he asked.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Tess gave them a basic physical description, a thin and fit half-elf young lady. Pointed ears and pale blue hair should be pretty obvious if they came across her.

After Julia and Deacon had departed Tess’ Cauldron, they joined up with the rest of their group at the Apartment.

Loud yelling caused the group to turn around and look back down the alley toward Tower Road. A hulking half-orc dressed in furs and sporting a massive sword strapped across his back was walking and yelling at everyone he passed. Thankfully it wasn’t a problem for the friends as he passed by.

All six stood out front, deciding what to do next.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
“I’m all for your all’s magical protections. I’ll take anything I can get.” The rogue said with a smile. “I even bought a rod, stop snickering Bharash! I bought a magical… device… which creates a shimmering, magical field around me that averts and deflects attacks. But I know you all have way more spells at your disposal to aid us.”

With that said, Belie pulled his magical shield from outside his backpack and set it to floating in front of him.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

There are a number of changes that the magical disguise generates in Bharash, but altering his snicker isn’t one of them and the big saurian warrior contents himself with quiet laughter at Belie’s comment before musing “Mmmm, well I’m no battle magician, but if we don’t know who owns the place and there’s no easy-access windows… Timber structure, right? How many of you’ve got divinationy things you can wave through the walls? Takes a couple of feet to block most of those and we can walk around the block, no problem. That’ll let you spot what, magic and poison and things? That might tell us something. Once we’ve got a bit more information, we can figure out what to do next. If the place is packed to the gills with demons, that’ll be worth knowing.”

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
“Demons? Why do you have to say demons? How about puppies? Huh? Packed to the walls with puppies…” Belie chuckles.

“Or cats apparently …” The rogue cocked his head when he noticed a fat house cat come around the corner, purring and scratching himself against the wooden siding. Another followed him, slapping at the first’s tail causing the other to hiss. This made Belie laugh out loud.

“Hey, Bharash. Better watch your tail my friend.” He threw a wink toward the dog-woman disguised warrior.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Well, mostly because I thought that those thieving buggers had some pit blood floating around in their company, but sure, why not? Evil puppies though. Hellhounds or something.” Bharash answers amenably, then glancing over at the cats and tilting his head a little, only to snort as he – she – remarks “I like my cats a little more upright, bipedal and feisty, thank you very much.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Yes, Demons Belie. You heard their story before. The description of the leader especially was definitely of the demonic type in my opinion. Besides, it’s not like you haven’t fought any demons lately. Vogh said softly as Belie and Bharash had talked.

Vogh’s magic was preparatory and not divination in type and for the most part the others knew this for they have seen her magic in action. That was the limitation to bardic magic, she had a limited amount of spells but could use them all if needed on the quick. She said in their minds, If Deacon has any divination spells we can do that, if not then a quick scout of the property may give us a bit more as well.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie shrugged, then nodded at Vogh’s statement about scouting. Figuring that was his que the young man dashed around the corner quiet as a shadow and disappared down the side of the building. A few moments later he appeared around the opposite side shaking his head. “There are no other entrances, no windows, nothing. It seems the front door is the only way in. There isn’t even a chimney on the roof to listen or shimmy down.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“We should go see Dellam over at the Boiling Pot and inquire more about his missing employee,” Deacon told the others.

“We need to know more about her, her mannerisms, what she was like. We should make haste though, if the demons have set up there she will not have long, we should go there and though I had planned to return to the Pyramid to continue scribing a few more spells we can return and investigate the Apartments after Dellam fills us in more. I don’t suppose any of you know where the Boiling Pot is?” he said.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
“Yeah, we’ve all been there before actually. Um… Before paying a visit to another… er… house… Right Vogh? Isn’t that the same place?” Belie chuckled a bit as he hedged and tried not to mention the name Vladaam outloud.

“That said… We’re standing in front of the place right now… How about we just go in now and take a look around? We can ask any of the residents if they know her and get some information before walking all the way across Oldtown…?”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Yes, you are quite right Belie. Vigh said with a side glance at him as she faced Deacon.

I honestly am going to say we should go in now. I can’t see what information we could get would make any difference either way. We should make sure that there isn’t an alarm on the entrance so we should be detecting magic and if there is some we can try and dispel it like we did before.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie approached the door and checked it over. “No traps. Any magic?”

When his friends confirmed there was no magic he reached out and tried the latch, “It’s already unlocked.”

While he stood there, both cats ambled over to him and rubbed against his legs.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon thought back to Tess telling him that knocking had been to no avail before. Folks had come to check on the missing individual but could find nothing, and then here the door is unlocked conveniently.


“We should not be doing this in daylight,”
he muttered to himself but was not going to abandon them.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“If we were breaking in, I would completely agree with you… But it’s an apartment so people go in and out all the time, and we’re not planning to break anything.” Ms Bharash states evenly, accepting Deacon’s point without actually considering it to be as bad as the other man fears…

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia looked around as they walked up to the door. She tried to make it look normal. She wanted to see if there were any eyes on them as they approached the apartment.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
You all can do anything you want, even leave, but I’m forging ahead with the idea that you’ll likely go ahead and enter… Roll 20 is updated.

A wide portico once offered an outdoor gathering area for tenants. Now it was empty. Belie opened the door. The open room beyond was a common area for all residents to share. It contained simple furnishings such as tables, chairs, and a few divans. All of which were still intact, but sat unused.

Two more felines lazed around the room. The dead body of a middle-aged woman lay near the middle of the room. Beside her, in the center of the room, was a statue that went from floor to ceiling, its hands held flat against the wooden floor of the level above.

Belie scrunched up his face, not yet entering the building, he pointed toward the corner. A dark purple, hard material looked like a cocoon which had been broken open lay in the far left corner. It had to be seven feet across, with shattered pieces literring around the main piece, looking like oversized eggshells.

To the left and right were doors, both closed, a hallway continued directly opposite the door, deeper into the building, and two more doors sat on either side of the hallway.

A Heal check (DC 15) reveals that she’s been dead a few days and was killed by a claw attack.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie reached into his pants pocket and produced an ioun stone which glowed with a continual flame spell, another new trinket procured since the friends were last together.

“Well this looks promising…” He said with distaste.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Seeing the deceased woman Deacon told the others “We should alert the authorities.” As a member of the Inverted Pyramid it would look poorly upon them if he was arrested for unlawful entry. Not to mention if someone tried to pin the death on them.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie didn’t like the idea of stopping here and just leaving, but Deacon had a point. The rogue had the same thought as the wizard, if someone saw them entering or leaving, there was a good chance the murder could be laid on them.

With pursed lips in frustration he agreed, shutting the door. “Alright. Vogh, would you mind taking point on that? I’m sure we can find a Watch patrol easily enough up here, but your charm – and name – will likely go farther than my own, and others’ …”

He finished with a smirk at the ‘beautiful’ gnollish “woman” currently accompanying them.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 16:41, Thu 27 Aug 2020.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh nodded, very reluctant to turn away when it seemed their goal seemed so close. “Okay. I hate to delay longer, there could be people in danger inside, but I understand your point.”

The attractive woman turned on her heel and walked briskly toward the wide street ahead. Talin walked beside her, hand on sword which swayed with each step.

Note from Narrator: Hope you don’t mind. Sorry, I just wanted to move forward with this as fast as possible. You can, of course, change anything you want.

I rolled to see if the Sergeant knew you, and got an 8 on 100! haha. Oh yeah she does!!! 😀

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Jodan Templehall lay just a few blocks from where Vogh emerged onto Tower Road, but her eyes were focused on finding a Watch patrol. It took her and Talin almost an hour to locate one such group of armed and armored men. Oldtown was far less rambunctious than the lower levels of the city, thus fewer patrols were needed in this area.

Vogh strode up to the sergeant – a female – leading the double column of 10 guards. While typically the Watch skewed far more human than the cosmopolitan demographic of Ptolus would suggest, this group sported two dwarves taking up the rear. Both wore heavier armor than the other eight, and each had a heavy crossbow strapped across their backs with impossibly thick limbs (parts of the crossbow). To separate this group for the standard homogeneous ones, there was also a dragonborn FEMALE! She had smooth copper scales and electric green eyes. Unlike Bharash’s huge stature though, she stood shorter than most of the men in the company, halfway between five and six feet tall, but her shoulders were broader than even the dwarves and her arms thick with corded muscles.

As the bard waved down the group their leader raised a fist and the group stopped. Very few of the watch patrols marched in lock step like a military regiment on the move, but rather they were much more fluid, constantly looking about for trouble in the always busy city. Neither did they stand in rank and file when their sergeant called for a halt. Each of them stepped out from the lines, forming more of a diamond, which afforded the front five a full view forward, and the rear five open lines of sight to their rear.

Before Vogh even spoke the sergeant’s brown eyes lit up with recognition. “Why! You’re Vogh Kath!”

A City Watch sergeant was typically the highest rank one would find in a Watch Patrol. Sergeants always wore full plate armor, with a blue sash bearing three golden hawks to indicate their station and rank. Often their armor and weapons are both magical.

Standing just a couple inches shorter than Vogh, but almost matching her height due to thick soled boots, the young woman wore no helmet as the Guardsmen did. Short cropped and curley black hair barely came to her jawline, which accentuated her sharp and angular features. Her skin was golden, obviously tanned from the amount of sun seen being outside on patrol and not in an office.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you ma’am! Or, miss. Ha. Sorry. Whichever you prefer, miss. My name is Alys Caskbow, I’m a big fan of yours! I was once an orphan too. I actually met you once at a Sisterhood of Dayra soup kitchen. But it’s been years and years ago. What can I do for you today?”

[Private to GM:

Alys Caskbow is a 22 year old female human.
She has cropped, curled, black hair and brown eyes.
She has soft golden skin.
She stands 142cm (5’7″) tall and has an athletic build.
She has a sharp, forgettable face.
She can’t feel pain.
She fervently worships Asgorath, the Ninefold Dragon, head deity of dragonkind.(All alignments)
She is kind and generous.
She is a perfectionist.
She only dresses in very expensive clothes.
She stretches the truth to tell a good story.

Strength 11 (+1)
Dexterity 15 (+3)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intellect 11 (+1)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Baeshra is a 24 year old female dragonborn.
She has a colorful frill and green eyes.
She has smooth copper scales.
She stands 167cm (5’5″) tall and has a massive build.
She has a square, common face.
She is very clumsy.
She fervently worships Kossuth, God of fire, purification through fire. (True Neutral)
She is always prepared.
She is very slow to trust other people.
She cannot use her breath weapon.
She knows all the gossip around town.

Strength 17 (+4)
Dexterity 7 (-1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intellect 10 (0)
Wisdom 10 (0)
Charisma 15 (+3)

Relationship Status: Single

She has angered the archdevil Belial and needs help avoiding the consequences.]

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Ahhhhh, nuts.” is about all Ms Bharash states when the door swings open on a corpse in the first room… Closely followed by a look both ways to see just how crowded the street may or may not be before she sets down her armour bag and drops to one knee, asking quickly “Belie, can you give me a hand?” as she starts producing pieces of mithril plate and strapping them on, which given that they’re interacting with her disguise looks downright disconcerting until the interaction causes the disguise to waver and reassert Bharash’s usual towering, scaled appearance – which in all fairness isn’t that much of an improvement over the large and… let’s just say fearsome looking Gnolless he was a few moments before.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
When they found the city watch and approached Vogh was immediately surprised that the leader was a female and let alone one that recognized her. When the woman said that she had met Vogh before at the Dayra Soup Kitchen, Vogh reached back in her mind. That was long ago for sure and try as she may, Vogh couldn’t remember the woman standing before her. Alys Caskbow you say? I am sorry that I don’t remember you, but you seem to have done very well for yourself. I am quite happy about that.

Anyways, we were just a few blocks away and had just entered the Confluence Village Apartments looking for a young woman that had not shown up for work for a few days, she worked at the Boiling Pot. When we entered we found the body of a middle-aged woman who looks to have been dead for a few days. The rest of the interior of the antechamber looks very suspicious as well. We didn’t want to advance any further inside for fear of being implicated.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Alys shook one hand, palm toward Vogh, in a dismissive gesture. “No! No! No, need to be sorry. It was so long ago and I just remember being jealous of your musical abilities, then the Kaths adopting you, then I hearing your name throughout the city with the amazing stuff you, and your friends, have accomplished.”

At Vogh’s explanation about the murdered woman, Alys’ face grew hard. “Let’s move!” she barked, all business, and the patrol snapped back into two rows.

Apparently knowing where the apartment was, she led the group off at a trot, not waiting for the bards.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 07:03, Fri 28 Aug 2020.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Once outside the building, Alys gestured forward with a wave, “Baeshra, lead us in.” The dragonborn female nodded and stepped forward to the door.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Baeshra moved up toward the door, large, steel shield held before her but weapon still sheathed. Pushing the door open she sqinted into the darkness as her eyes adjusted and nodded. “They were correct. Dead woman. You’ll need lights.”

She stepped hesitantly inside, looking around. Everyone outside blanched as the big warrior jumped back, covered in some kind of purple slime. Baeshra let out a bellowing roar of pain! “GET IT OFF!!!”

Immediately her companions jumped to her aid, drawing daggers and scraping away the hissing slime which fell to the ground in wet and sticky clumps. Three of them were able to clear every bit of it away in only a few moments, but the big dragon-lady was panting. When she tried to stand she looked less than well. “I feel, weak. What was that?!”

Alys looked over at Vogh. “Did you all go inside? Did you encounter anything like this earlier?”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
As the Dragonborn woman named Baeshra came yelling back outside with something purple on her Vogh gasped and tried to identify what it was.

When they were asked if they went inside, Vogh shook her head and said, No, we didn’t. We saw the body when we opened the door and then came to find the watch immediately.

I am not sure what that purple stuff is. Never seen anything like it. Baeshra, what are you feeling? Can you describe what you felt and are now feeling?

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Now on her feet, unnecessarily wiping herself off the dragon-lady shook her long snouted head back and forth. “It hurt. I don’t know. It wasn’t like a sword cutting you, but like it was… sucking my strength away.” She shivvered at the memory and took a step away from the slime, unconsciously adjusting the straps on her shield which she kept between her and the stuff still on the street.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia came forward at the mention that she felt as if her strength was taken from her and looked her over. After a moment, Julia could see that indeed, the dragon lady had lost some of her strength. “I can heal you of your loss of strength if you will allow me to.”

If the dragon lady allows, Julia will cast a lesser restoration on her to fix the strength drain that happened. Julia will look at the slime as well and then back to Baeshra, “Did it attack you? How did it get on you anyway?”

17:32, Today: Julia Graymantle rolled 4 using 1d4. lesser restoration.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Baeshra shuddered again as Julia’s healing magic washed over her. “Thank you miss.” She looked up at the door and without moving closer dipped her head down like she was trying to look up to the ceiling beyond the door. “It just dropped on me as soon as I stepped inside.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“We did not enter,” Deacon told them. “After Bharash opened the door and we saw the body, I told them we should alert the authorities. He then came back out and Vogh went to find you. Purple you say? Sapping your strength?”

Deacon thinks about it a moment

Will finish in a bit have to get wounds changed, could we give other folks times to post.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
As everyone puzzled over the slime they realized none of them had ever seen anything like it before. They know that green slime actually dissolved metal and flesh, but that didn’t seem to be the case here as the Watchmen’s weapons did not dissolve after scraping off the purple stuff, nor did the dragonborn female look burned or eaten like green slime would have done.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon continues to think on the purple menace [Private to GM: (Violet Fungi)] to see if he knows anything about this hazard from his many studies.

12:03, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 21 using 1d20+18. KS: Nature – Monster Lore Plants.
12:05, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 33 using 1d20+18. KS:Dungeoneering — In case it’s no covered by Nature KS Monster Lore.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Deacon Havenhold

See msg 104

[Private to Deacon Havenhold: Not violet Rot as no burns or “eating” of flesh]

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Not enough information to make a proper determination,” he said.

“It seems to be similar in some respects to violet fungi. The loss of strength and coloration. However yhe lack of burns on the flesh and lack of flesh eating indicates it is not a violet fungi infestation. More information would be needed, a sample perhaps. Getting that will be difficult,” he continued.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Without any of the help he asked for until Belie’s given a gentle kick, it takes Bharash a good few minutes to get into his armour and the straps aren’t as tight or as well-fitted as he’d like until a minute or two after said kick’s delivery, but since everyone seems to be busy he just puts up with it without complaint (aside from the kick), stepping up as the fuss around the door winds down so that he can thoughtfully rumble “I wonder if it would have been discerned by someone who had Detected Poison like I asked them to?” before he asks of the guards, “You mind if I..?”, motioning to the open door.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Sergeant Alys had moved her men up in a standard breach formation, two men on either side of the door, then the others stair stepping down at a diagonal. Farthest from the door were the dwarf duo with heavy crossbows loaded and ready. The dragonborn female remained back by Alys, speaking with the others.

When Bharash stepped up to the door and asked, the lead Guardman just shrugged. He certainly wasn’t going to STOP the big warrior from entering.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

And yet he rather successfully does, as Bharash gives a wry snort and reaches up to lift his helmet visor, the better to be able to make eye contact with the guardsman as he rumbles “…yeah, that wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. You’d rather I backed you up, or just went and stood in the corner and stayed out of your way?”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
“Mister, you look more than capable of handling yourself.” The lead guardsman says, having to crane his neck backward to even look up at Bharash. “I would be more than happy to serve as your backup. Sergeant? That alright?”

Alys nodded back and spoke loudly enough for them to hear, “Go ahead Mister…?”

She paused and looked to Vogh for his name, then finished, “Mister Bharash. My men will back you up!”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Alright. Standard entry, I’ll cross the room, you two cover my flanks, crossbows on backup. Oh, and we’ve got magic on-call. Once it’s secure, we check the body. Go.” Bharash states, cross-drawing one of his swords and unsheathing the other from its back-scabbard before stepping inside – looking neither left nor right (there’s a guardsman on each of those directions) but rather forwards and up as he moves to cross the room and secure the far door.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon unable to catch the conversation as no one is speaking slow enough or looking at him notices that they are all getting ready to enter the building again. He thought quickly and decided that he might have another way.

“Wait, I could summon something to bring the body out without endangering any of you if you prefer,” he offered.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie had stayed back, letting the big warrior take point, especially after seeing the nasty goo drop on the other scaly warrioress. He heard Deacon’s call and turned to the wizard, “Vogh said we shouldn’t move the body until we inspect it where it lay to avoid disturbing the crime scene.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Seeing Belie’s protest Deacon holds off casting a spell and waits for Bharash to go in.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Everyone go ahead and Roll Initiative

BG’s: Narrator GM rolled 13 & 25

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Init: 27

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

19:40, Today: Bharash rolled 11 using 1d20+10. Initiative.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
19:44, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 11 using 1d20+7. Initiative.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh was right behind Bharash as he entered the building ready to cast a spell or sing her music.

09:35, Today: Vogh rolled 13 using 1d20+7. init.

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
09:35, Today: Talin rolled 14 using 1d20+7.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
09:37, Today: Julia Graymantle rolled 14 using 1d20+3. initiative.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The door on Bharash’s right burst open and two very strange, and large, creatures rushed out at him with abandon. Long, insect-like appendages snapped out at him, but the experienced dragon-warrior parried the arms ending in razor sharp claws.

Bharash could tell when he swords connected against those limbs, each was covered with a hard layer of chittin which looked to be a formidable natural armor. To make matters worse, the creatre stood even taller than Bharash, and its reach exceeded his own long arms. (OOC: It has reach)

The second of the creatures crashed throught the two tables and few chairs, moving around to flank Bharash as it kept the ceiling height statue between itself and he.

Watch Initiative… WOW! 😀 Narrator rolled 2 using 1d20 ((2)).

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
Bharash cuts one hell of a figure in his armour of gleaming metal scales, easily topping four hundred pounds when all his equipment and mass are taken into account so someone could be forgiven for thinking that he’d be slow… The truth however, is anything of the sort and as the first of the two beasts swarms into the room, multiple limbs rattling against the wall and floor his blades are already in motion, fluidly deflecting one blade-limb up and over his shoulder to skid down his back and – simultaneously – guiding the other into the floor, buying him half a heartbeat to step to the left and forwards, declining to fight his first foe and instead aiming to assault the second before it can truly get its feet under it – couches and chairs flying away from his lunge as though struck by some irresistible bow-wave.

As his armoured feet come down he roars, the sound one of borderline ecstatic battle-madness and calls upon the ferocity of his forefathers, unnatural power driving his limbs as he lunges with the drop-point of both falcata, looking to pierce two of the major right-side limb joints where they meet the thorax before drawing back and rotating the blades in his hands to build momentum, hacking at the creature like an enormous, metallic pruning machine, both swords thrumming as they carve through air, chitin and flesh alike with no perceivable difficulty switching from one to the other.

[Private to GM: Okay.

Five-foot adjustment north-and-west (doesn’t provoke from contestant #1).
Rage (free action), gain a size category (specifically into the four squares left of the statue), putting him base-to-base with contestant #2.

11:47, Today: Bharash rolled 6,11,11 using 2d6,2d6,2d6 with rolls of 3,3,6,5,5,6. Strength check.
11:47, Today: Bharash rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2. Strength check properly this time.
11:47, Today: Bharash rolled 7 using 1d20 with rolls of 7. Goddamn it. Strength Check!

Stabstabchopchopchopchop.

11:34, Today: Bharash rolled 70 using 6d20. Six attacks: right-left +21, right-left +16, right-left +11.
11:35, Today: Bharash rolled 68 using 6d20 with rolls of 10,18,1,15,8,16. Arse. Recording the dice this time.
11:36, Today: Bharash rolled 18 using 1d20 with rolls of 18. Critical threat.
11:40, Today: Bharash rolled 25 using 6d8 with rolls of 8,4,5,2,2,4. Damage.
11:40, Today: Bharash rolled 8,5,7 using 2d6,2d6,2d6 with rolls of 6,2,4,1,6,1. Holy damage.


Hit / Damage
31 / 22 & 8 holy
39 / 20 (60 if critical, 43 to confirm)
- / -
31 / 16
19 / 16 & 7 holy
27 / 18

Assuming AC20, that’s 22+60+16 (98 damage) plus 8 holy and it leaves Bharash on the left wall with an AC of 30.]

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie waited a moment, listening to what was happening inside, and then as his friends sprang into action. After Vogh and Talin rushed forward, so too did belie, floating shield keeping pace with him as he moved, but he drew no weapon yet.

Seeing on strange monster already in several pieces, and bleeding on the carpet, Belie focused on the other beast charging his friends. In one motion he drew a dagger from inside his coat, and flicked it the dozen feet to the quadrapedal, huge, insect-man.

The dagger found a crease in the beast’s chest and embedded deeply into its side, wounding it greatly. Unfortunately, it didn’t stop its relentless move toward the bards.

Belie rolled 32,6,16 using 1d20+13,1d4+3,6d6 ((19,3,5,1,3,4,2,1)).
Belie rolled 25 using 1d20+12 ((13)). crit confirm

Talin & Vogh, go. AC 20, it’s got 25hp left.

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
Talin caught sight of the spider-like monstrosities inside the greeting area and heard Bharash already engaged in combat with them. This didn’t start well for them but Talin held faith that Bharash was ready for the fight. The large Dragonborn always seemed ready, Talin thought.

Figuring that Vogh would be using her music to inspire everyone, Talin decided to cast a spell and then enter the area with SolarSong at the ready. Talin could already feel the vibration of the blade wanting to be drawn as he touched its hilt drawing it forth as he entered.

Cast Haste centered on himself then enter. Moved my token already.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh wasn’t quite ready for combat yet and it was evident as she was a bit slower than the others at the onset of battle. When she heard the telltale signs of blades clashing she began her music to inspire her friends. It was sung in their heads as she usually did, giving them hope for greater exploits.

She saw Talin advance into the room and so Vogh too drew her blades Serenity and Calamity and entered straight to Bharash’s back ready to do battle with either him or Talin against their foes.

Start Inspire Courage giving everyone a +5 to hit and Damage.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon will grasp his rod of extend and cast Mage Armor II on himself.


Spells in Effect:

Mage Armor II, Duration 22 hours, +6 armor bonus to armor.

Still have control of Bharash not Deacon in roll20 🙂 maybe you didn’t get to that last night, move action get rod, standard action cast Mage Armor II.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Belie’s post updated. AC 20, it’s got 25hp left.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia got into a position to be able to see everyone and readied a heal just in case one got badly injured.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Clacking claws left gouges in the wooden floor as the brute charged Talin wielding solarsong. Despite the size of the sword, Talin whipped and sliced back and forth deflecting multiple claws trying to scrape him, and nasty teeth snapping forward to bite him. The bard took not a scratch.

None of the Watch even moved, all frozen by a combination of awe at the group’s efficiency and efficacy in battle, and fear at the disgusting monsters’ appearance.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

No matter how it looks to someone caught in his presence, it’s not that Bharash actually gets larger, exactly… He doesn’t gain any mass or grow any taller, precisely… But when he’s in the ecstatic grip of his battle-frenzy his lunges become more fluid, his stance more grounded… Everything he already has becomes more as he reaches past mere anger and plunges into a state devoid of distraction or fear for the possible consequences of his movements… And when stacked up against that, the thing he’s fighting has neither answer nor hope.

The first two blows shatter the major leg joints on his opponents right-hand side. It’s large and it’s strong, but it’s also ungainly and uncertain in its motions, as if it’s never worn a body of meat and bone before and before it can begin to adjust it’s suddenly short two limbs and toppling helplessly. Its reflexive parry is too little, too late, Bharash already withdrawing his blades, whirling one in a vertical stroke that meets not its bladed forearm but the joint that holds it and the other in a near-horizontal sweep, bottom left to top-right that meets its falling neck with deadly precision. When the thing finally hits the ground, it does so in three distinct pieces.

Left without a foe, the muscular Dragonborn takes two running steps forwards over his fallen assailant, jumping to set his foot on the wall so that he can then launch himself back towards the second of his foes with a degree of athleticism that simply shouldn’t be possible from nearly half a ton of muscle, scale and steel, his speed and sheer fluid grace an order of magnitude beyond anything the clumsy, alien-seeming creatures that attacked him can muster and as the second enemy turns away from Belie to the onrushing Dragonborn, the difference that makes is made explicitly clear.

It’s moving in a jittery, stop-motion fashion as if it has to adjust and reconsider after each strike and motion, he’s a thing of balance and grace… And perhaps more importantly, several hundred pounds of meat and metal aligned behind the drop-point of an extended falcata that strikes precisely one foot above the dead-centre of his targets breastplate, aimed at the things throat. Other wounds notwithstanding, it’s dead before the blade – sizzling with divine energy – punches out of the back of the things neck in a spray of boiling body fluids and tissue, its final moments no better coordinated than the ones before it as its limbs spasm and twitch on their way to the ground.

Lightly, Bharash drops to the ground straddling the thing as he surveys the room.

[Private to GM: 18:43, Today: Bharash rolled 14,8 using 1d20,1d8. One attack.
18:44, Today: Bharash rolled 6 using 2d6. Holy damage.

With the +5 Bard Song, that’s a hit for 1D8+19, or 27 piercing and 6 holy damage.]

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie caught and closed his own slack jaw before turning to see the transfixed guards’ mouths likewise hanging open. He nudged the nearest one who turned to regard him, tearing away his gaze from the display. “Be glad he’s on our side.” The rogue said with a smile.

Gingerly stepping into the room he looked over the dead beast and through the open door to see a room beyond where the odd pair seem to have come from.

“I’ve never seen anything like these before. Have you all? Their faces look almost human.” Indeed the others noted both faces did resemble humans which had an exoskeleton grow onto their heads.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Looking into the room, the four companions could see a hole smashed through the north wall. It appeared to have once been a one bedroom apartment, but all the furnishings had been smashed and destroyed. Two distinct piles occupied opposite corners and seemed to be bedding for the now deceased creatures.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Letting his trance go isn’t easy, even for Bharash and for a moment he sags back against the wall, breathing heavily as the battle comes to an end – his mind racing as his limbs grow heavy and he gulps air to recover from the tremendous outpouring of energy that his battle-madness calls for, a good twenty or thirty seconds passing before his breathing steadies and he can produce a small shammy-cloth which he uses to wipe down his swords “Maybe they were, once. They didn’t move well. Awkward things, but eager.” he comments once he can trust himself to speak.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Before the fight even started it was over as the last of the enemy had fallen before Vogh could put both of hers to use.

Well done Bharash! If there are more of these things in here we need to make sure they don’t hurt anyone else. Vogh then turned to the watch and said, Alys, there is far more going on here than we thought. I am worried about the other tenants. Can the watch start their investigation of this murder while we check the rest of this place out?

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon was surprised they went down so easily. “I suppose we should be thankful their bite did not match their bark,” he said.

Deacon cast Detect Magic and had a look around the room. If the creatures were once humans or some other mortal race and had been transformed the magic from that might still be about. Locating it’s source might give additional clues.

08:12, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 20 using 1d20+18. Perception.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Alys nodded at Vogh’s suggestion. “Tegan” She spoke to one of the men farthest back on the wing, just beside one of the crossbow wielding dwarves. He nodded and trotted over to her.

“I want you to personally retrieve information about the owner of this property and come back with them, if possible, with their name and address if not. Take Hassan with you and be quick about it.”

Tegan hollered out Hassan’s name, who was also last in line except the dwarf on the opposite wing, then the duo rushed off at run out to the street.

—-

Roll20 Updated/Revealed. There are certain things in the rooms that I uncovered which you’ll have to deal with. I marked those with the letter N. So if you go near that letter, there will be an encounter. Ignore the broken windows, they aren’t really there. Remember there is no light in any of these rooms. Belie has an ioun torch floating over his head.

Moving through the room to their right (2) then up through the hole in the wall (2.1), they discovered the door on their left in this room simply led back into the entry hall. The small room to the right seemed to be a private privy for this one room apartment. Like the others, all the furnishings of this room had been shattered. In the middle of this room also stood one of the female statues reaching to the ceiling. Like the first room, they found another of the broken open cocoons in this room.

Across the hall (2.3) the room was nearly identical it’s mirrored counterpart (2.1) including a privat privy here too.

Yet another broken open cacoon was in the south room (2.2). They also noticed splotches of old blood on the floor directly before the hole smashed into the wall leading into the room north of it (2.3).

Through yet another holl in the wall they entered a room with a strange walled off section that had a door that now lay broken down on the floor. This room on the ground floor in the northwest corner of the building has a hole punched through the wooden floorboards from beneath (5). The opening revealed a shaft twenty-five feet deep, ending in the sewer. (If anyone actually enters room 5, roll a DC 20 reflex save to avoid a purple thing falling on them from the ceiling. Whoever does it and fails takes 1d2 STR dmg/round until it’s scraped off.

At the end of the hallway lay the only intact cocoon the group had seen, and it blocked access to the stairs beside, forcing the friends to climb over if they so choose.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh and Talin moved through the door on her left first (2.2). Looking around at the chaos inside the room had her wondering how long this place had been like this. Vogh will check the purple object that is in the room beside 2.2. Aloud Vogh told the others to be wary and no one person goes alone.
19:42, Today: Vogh rolled 33,26,31 using d20+16,d20+16,d20+16. perception check per room.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
As Vogh and Talin approach the broken open cocoon in the corner, a swarm of red and black creatures flood out of the nest and start biting and stinging at them. (9 dmg each)

Surprise round. They were nearly impossible to see inside the nest. They get 1 attack, then you all will beat their Init, I’m sure.

As Centipede Swarm (no poison). Immune to weapon damage. AC 18. HP 31.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…ede/centipede-swarm/

Swarm Init: 13

Damage: 9 using 2d6 ((6,3)).

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Mmm, yes. Well done me.” Bharash deadpans, seemingly less thrilled with his martial performance than he is concerned about the possible origin of the things he killed but he does rumble an amenable “I’ll ask.”, heading back to the guard – sheathing his swords as he goes – in order to address them “So, uhm… That happened. My companions are wandering off to see if they can get attacked by anything interesting – you know, normal adventurer stuff – do you want to check this room now that we’re done stomping all over it and wrecking the furniture… Ah, sorry about that by the way.”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon watches as the critters burst out attacking Vogh and Talin with his vast knowledge he told them “Your weapons will not work on the swarm, I’ll have to use my magic upon it.”

22:56, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 33 using 1d20+18. Monster Lore : Vermin Centipede Swarm.

Deacon called upon the power of fire as he faced the creatures shooting forth three rays of fire towards the swarm hoping to destroy it as quickly as the others had dispatched whatever that was in the first room.

23:01, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 21 using 1d20+8. First Ray To Hit.
23:02, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 19 using 4d6. Damaage for 1st Ray (only 1 that hit).
23:01, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 12 using 1d20+8. 2nd Ray to HIt.
23:01, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 9 using 1d20+8. 3rd ray to hit.

 

Deacon looked on with disgust as two of the rays didn’t even come close to the swarm.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
When the swarm came at her Vogh initially swatted at them like anyone would when they were attacked by a swarm of anything but as she heard Deacon call out to her about her weapon not working but she knew if she changed her music she could at least burn the things. She then slashed both her weapons at them the fire slashing through the swarm easily.

Sing in their heads for dragonfire inspiration.

12:54, Today: Vogh rolled 30,15,13,20 using D20+10,5d6,d20+10,5d6

 

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Between the bard’s attack and Deacon’s magic, they burned away the last of the nasty little critters.

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
Talin wipes the last remains of the centipedes off of his clothing and out of his hair before looking at the nest that they came out of.

18:45, Today: Talin rolled 17 using 1d20+14. perception check.

Now that was disgusting, those things are almost near impossible to hit with my blade. Thank goodness, you changed your music to inspire me with firey rage. Talin said softly to Vogh.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie started to help the bards, but Deacon’s and Vogh’s magic eradicated the things quickly so he shrugged and move past the dead insect-human-things to look down the hallway.

“Hey, Julia, you see that one?” The rogue pointed down the hallway to the cocoon at the end, partially blocking the stairs.

“That one isn’t broken open yet… What do you think might be inside?” He asked with a mischievous grin.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia looked down the hall at what Belie had pointed out. She saw the unbroken cocoon but didnt have any idea what was possibly inside.

Hmm, well if I had to wager – and I’m not saying I want to – I would say more of what Vogh and Talin had on them a moment ago.

Julia then turned to them and asked, Are you two okay? Looks like you have quite a few bites on you!

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
Yes Julia we are fine thanks to Deacon and Voghs dragon inspiration! Talin said with a large smile.

If we don’t find anything in this nest we are pushing to the next room.

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
“Hey Talin, you wanna use your big, new sword to smash that thing and see what comes out?” Belie asked with a grin after Julia had confirmed the duo was mostly unharmed.

“If a bunch of those creepy-crawlies pop out of it, we can be ready with something to burn them away.” He jerked a thumb Deacon’s way and with a smile added, “Or he can wiggle his fingers and set them on fire again. But I’m not wanting to climb over the thing to reach the next level.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Bharash

Alys nodded to the big man and stepped forward. None of her people had moved during the quick combat. Truth be told, they scarcely had time to react before the threat was already handled by the powerful friends.

Once in the door frame she looked over the room and crinkled her nose at the dead creatures. “I’ve never seen their like before. Have you all?” When she got head shakes and no’s in response she shook her head. “By the Spire there is so much going on in this city one could go mad just keeping up.”

Moving over to the body the woman crouched down and looked it over. “I’m no inspector, but these certainly don’t look like wounds from a blade.” Without standing Alys pivoted on her foot and regarded the dead insect thing. “I’d bet a platinum one of those did this. Clearly they weren’t interested in eating her…”

Still squatting she looked about the room and back toward the door, scrutinizing the discolored spot on the ceiling where the violet slime had been stuck.

“Listen. Uh… Bharash. You folks are much better equipped to handle whatever else is in this building. What do you say you all check the rest of the rooms and my men will keep the perimeter secured. I’ll also send for an Investigator to look the place over for extra clues.”

Standing she put one hand on her sword hilt while looking around the room as a whole, peeking through the open doors but not moving.

“If you don’t want to mess with it, then we will board it up, wait for an Investigator, then likely burn it down.”

The sergeant meet Bharash’s gaze with her eyebrows raised, awaiting his thoughts.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Bharash walks back into the house with them, one hand remaining on his backsword as the room is examined, his eyes moving from door to ceiling, from wall to floor… Trying to remain alert as though keeping the watch-sergeant and her team in good health is his current priority.

“Me either. I think… I think they were something else fairly recently. They didn’t move well in their ski… chitin. A little over-extended, a little think-and-move, you know? Uncoordinated and sluggish.” Bharash states as he once more thinks through the short, staggeringly violent conflict, then nods when the woman makes her assessment of the situation, leading to his agreeing “That sounds like a plan Ma’am. We came here because we got a magical ‘ping’ on some stolen goods, we weren’t expecting anything like this but it’s a lot closer to our level of expertise than yours, I should imagine. If you can keep anyone else from getting hurt and perhaps secure this room for us to fall back to if things get hairy, we’ll try to clear the structure safely.”

With that, he offers a polite salute and moves up to the left-hand door the others started to head through, calling through it “Everything clear in there?”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Alys nodded to Bharash in understanding. “I think we can do that sir.” She walked back outside and conversed with two more of her men, which then also head off at a near run toward the main street.

The sergeant then explained the situation the remaining watchmen with her, the dragonborn woman, two dwarves, and three other men who all looked like they had seen battle and knew how to use the longswords on their hips, and the shields and spears they currently held.

Each of them relaxed their vigil and stepped down off the stairs to gather around in a circle, discussing in voices too low for the friends inside to hear.

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
When Belie asked Talin about hitting something down the hall Talin shook his head, We aren’t prepared to go that way quite yet but I will when we get there.

Then to Bharash Talin replied, Yes, it is clear but there are more rooms ahead of us. The watch going to secure the front area? Talin had heard Bharash suggest as much and was just asking for clarification.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon looked about as he was wondering if this might be connected to the Night of Dissolution so he was looking about as they went about for symbols or signs that might indicate a link to the ominous chaos doom cults.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Deacon’s astute observational skills benefitted him now. As he began looking closer at the walls, it became clear that chaos symbols he had seen from the book recovered in Pythoness House were everywhere. Near the front here, they were fewer, but in the rooms there were dozens. Many of them seemed to have been done in dried blood, while others seemed to be mundane paint.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Definitely the work of the chaos cults,” he commented.

He tried to look more closely to see if the writing was tied to a particular group or to just chaos in general.

“Don’t forget there might be a secret trap door in the floors or some entry to the levels below where the items might be,” Deacon told the others hoping they’d look for such while he studied the chaos symbols.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Deacon Havenhold

Deacon found a multitude of chaotic symbols and drawings, but he quickly deduced that three Cults’ symbols were more prevalent than any other. The Brothers of Venom coiled snake. The cult of the ebon hand’s black hand symbol. And the tolling bell cracked bell symbol.

[Private to Deacon Havenhold: Check msg #138 as I mentioned a huge hole going down into the sewers.
How long does your Locate Object spell last?
There has been a lot of talking and stuff so it might have expired.
]

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon took note of the ones involved. He then decided to examine the ‘statues’. Were they really statues or was one of these poor women the missing employee. But why would they put some to stone and slay the lady in the first room. Was she perhaps to old? Something with a petrifying gaze or breath would be nasty indeed. If any of them were such victims then he’d need to acquire a stone to flesh spell to revive them. He hadn’t run across it yet at the Pyramid either.

[Private to GM: I missed it guess was pretty sleepy.
It lasts 11 minutes
]

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
While Talin checked the nest for anything else Vogh checked out the room to see if there was anything hidden.

Perception check of 33!

In Deacon’s mind Vogh said, Chaos cultists? Good work Deacon, can you tell which ones? Vogh could see multiple symbols but really didn’t know what they were.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“That’s the plan.” Bharash answers Talin, looking from the corridor leading to the stairwell back to the door into the apartment and working his jaw a time or two, waiting for the guards to secure the room and get good lines of sight so that they can defend themselves before he moves to examine the hole punched into the wall in the first apartment, whistling softly to himself.

OOC: This hole punched into the room from the north, or from this room to the north?

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Once they knew what was in the nest and room Vogh and Talin both moved to the hole in the wall where Bharash was inspecting it.

We should make sure there isn’t any more of that purple slime above all the entrances before going inside. We only have so much magic to restore ourselves and we don’t want to waste them. Am I right Julia? Vogh had said to Julia as she was the one capable of casting the spell.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
With most of the group in this apartment Julia had moved in as well. When Vogh asked her about the restorative spell Julia answered quickly and quietly, Yes Vogh you are correct. I am only capable of casting that prayer a few times in a day and that would take away from the other useful prayers I have. So, please why all means be careful!

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Huh… I suppose.” Bharash remarks, looking at the hole for a moment and then stating “Give me a second.” before padding back through the wreckage to the room where the guards are setting up shop, offering them an amenable “Excuse me.”, taking a long, long look at the dead woman and then shuddering before moving on to the largest piece of the dead bug-thing and rather distressingly impaling it through the back on a six-foot length of broken couch brace.

Whistling quietly, he carries it, bindle-style back to the hole… Then sticks the cooling corpse through the hole, on the stick and wiggles it about a little in a disarmingly workmanlike fashion.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Bharash

OOC: *blink. *blink. You did… what… The narrator is recovering from this post…

Bharash uses his grizly crash-test-dummy on a stick method to poke through the hole in the wall into the room (top left) and nothing happens. However, when he nears the broken down door, still carrying the nasty standard, more of the purple stuff falls onto the chittin-body and begins to feed. Thankfully the thing was no longer alive to feel pain. However, the purple sludge seemed unsatisfied with its meal and started to very slowly make its way toward Bharash’s poles.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon was still examining the statues and had not noticed Bharash activities, he was still strongly thinking these statues were petrified people. He needed a better description of that missing worker, but perhaps the details might reveal it. Although he didn’t think it would work he recast Detect Magic and used it to look at the statue.

He responded to Vogh’s question “Brother of Venom, Tolling Bell and Cult of the Ebon Hands.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh rolled the names given by Deacon in her head to see if she remembered anything about them.
21:47, Today: Vogh rolled 27 using 1d20+17. knowledge local.

When the purple slime fell down on the dead insectoid creature pierced by Bharash, Vogh said, toss that thing to the side before the slime gets you too Bharash!

Once he did so Vogh moved into the other room followed quickly by Talin. Vogh looked into the room to the left first and found it to be just a room with a hole for waste. Not wanting to waste time with looking through all the waste Vogh and Talin moved to the next hole in the wall. Bharash, if the slime is off that insectoid want to try it again over here?

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“No, really? I’ll be sure and to wipe after I’m done go potty too…” Bharash replies dryly when he’s advised not to let the purple muck reach his hands – on account of which he quite simply puts the whole thing down and steps back, clearing the room needed for the spellcasters to let rip from a safe distance and making a ‘here’ sort of gesture at it while shrugging “I don’t really think it’s reusable, but there’s a second body… Most of a body. I can go and fetch that while you take care of the slime.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Looking down into the hole (5) the group could see the sewers below, water slowly moving by. Bharash’s grizly detection “system” allowed them all to move about the floor, except one room, and find no more assailants.

The group inspected the statues and each was simply a woman of stone with a sheathed sword feet planted on the floor and hands extended to the ceiling.

Talin looked closer at the one in the room he and Vogh were in and noticed a nearly imperceptible shift in the statue’s footing. He shook his head, thinking it was his imagination, but he trusted his instincts telling him this was not merely a statue.

[Private to GM: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…cts/caryatid-column/]

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
Talin’s astute inspection of one of the statues had him really questioning if it was really one or if perhaps it may animate on a command or something so he called to the others, Everyone, come take a look at this statue. Something seems off compared to the other ones. Look at the feet placement for one thing. While they came over Talin cast detect magic to see if there was something magical about the statue.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon was satisfied with his inspection of the statues, they resembled a certain type of construct but it did not appear that the one he was inspecting was such. He rested a bit easy, constructs were not something you wanted to face as a wizard, most had heavy protections against magical attack.

Deacon notices that Bharash has a dead body on the end of a stick wondering around. He shakes his head at the sight. I mean giving it some thought it was a bit gruesome but also effective. I mean it was no different than if he had summoned something and sent it through the halls tripping whatever might be. In fact perhaps Bharash method was a bit more humane, after all the body was already dead and thus there was no pain involved.

Deacon does not hear Talin and thus doesn’t rush over to where Talin is. Deacon instead heads over to the hole where Bharash is and looks down the hole a bit to examine it more carefully for anything untoward.

He puts a reassuring hand on Bharash shoulder.

“That’s using your head my friend,” he stated pointing to the dead body on a stick.

09:42, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 24 using 1d20+18. Perception (note cannot perceive audible sources).

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
“Using somebody else’s, actually.” Bharash replies with a certain amount of jaunty good cheer as he pokes the improvised slime detector array through one of the last ground-level doors before setting it next to the stairs and heading back to examine the hole in the floor.

While looking at it, hands on his hips and head tilted to one side he seems to think things over, answering “Not sure about the statues, magic isn’t my thing but… Huh… Hang on.”, then head back to where the guards are too call out “Hey, folks. Remember I said that we were here chasing a stolen artifact? Well we’re surrounded by expensive houses and someone’s broken into the local sewers here… Is there anywhere nearby worth that kind of effort to rob?”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Talin

Talin’s spell revealed no magic about the statue. It seemed to be just a well carved decorative item as he focused on it.

In reply to Deacon Havenhold

Deacon looked down into the sewers, his elven vision penetrating the darkness better than a human’s could. He noticed the a rope ladder which extended down the twenty-five-foot drop. The section of sewer beneath them appeared to be a junction point between one large line, about 20 feet wide, which was crossed by a smaller tunnel closer to 10 feet in width. The elf saw nothing stirring below, nor any other indication of why the hole and ladder were here.

In reply to Bharash

Alys looked back at the dragon warrior reflectively. “Well… It’s Oldtown, there are tons of important buildings around here. Almost due west is the Banker’s Guildhall. South is Dalenguard Castle, the Administration Building, the Imperial Universtiy. Even farther south are the City Courts and even Hammersong Vaults.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh had come over to the statue but after no further information about the statue, she let it go for now. They could check it out later when all this was cleared. In the minds of everyone Vogh said, we should check out the last door before we head upstairs to make sure it is clear and then we can head into the sewers. I don’t want to leave the building unclear before heading down there as the sewers can be endless.

After saying that Vogh and Talin together moved to the last door while calling Belie over to check for traps and if the door was locked.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon looked around for someone to tell his observations too. It appeared no one was near him, so he decided to move in Vogh’s direction to help her look in the last room he hoped.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Belie checked for traps, then confirming there were none Vogh focused inside. She could sense two dretch demons beyond the door, then she was fairly certain a few humans were beyond that, but something seemed to be blocking her getting a good read on them. (Going through 2 walls)

The group entered and quickly dispatched the two small and weak deamons, then Vogh could sense five humans and a half-elf in the room beyond this one.

Inside they indeed discovered one human woman, one half-elf female, and four human males. All were frightened and hungry, but none were wounded.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“So there could be a robbery afoot… Or just the usual demonic shenanigans coming up from Below. Alright, thank you. Probably wouldn’t hurt to notify those places that something horrible is tunnelling around the area at the moment though, just in case they’re already up to something.” Bharash answers with one of his usual engaging smiles, offering the guard detachment a salute and then heading back to the group – stashing his slime-detector stick by the stairwell en route then then moving to…

…pick up into a jog at the sound of battle, an excited grin spreading over his features, one which freezes and fades after he comes through the door at a run only to slow to a stop and issue a deep, disappointed whine of “You guys picked a fight and didn’t invite me?”

Ohhh, Bharash.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon knew he was not one to calm the fears, his skills in diplomacy were a bit lacking. He decided to wait for the bards to calm the frightened people. He was a afraid he might scare them more.

He looked about for clues, searching the two Dretch Demons to see if perhaps they had any clues or instructions upon them. He commented about the demons as he searched them to no one in particular, “Dretch Demons among the weakest of their kind and the stupidest. They would not be able to plan such an affair. They were merely underlings of a more powerful enemy, one that has not shown itself to us yet.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Having put away her blades after wiping them Bharash came rushing in ready to fight. Sorry, my friend, you got to kill the large insects without me bloodying my blade.

Vogh moved to the other room with the humanoids in and pulled the door open to find survivors. With a calming voice, Vogh said to them, Your captivity is at an end, my friends. We have killed the ones holding you captive. We will quickly get you to safety and away from this craziness. Are any of you named Ellynn? Vogh asked before beginning to move them back to the front.

Diplomacy check of 26 to calm them down.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
While Vogh was speaking with the captives Julia added, “Is everything okay with you physically? I am able to heal any wounds you may have. May I check you all to see if there is anything I can help with?”

If the people allow, Julia will do a heal check 11:48, Today: Julia Graymantle rolled 34 using 1d20+15. heal check.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Friend he says, having gone off to fight demons without me mumble grumble mutter… Bharash answers, thrusting his thumbs through his weapon-belt and kicking at a lump of rubble on the ground, looking for all the work like a sulky teenager, at least until someone notices that he actual said the words ‘mumble, grumble, mutter’ and is grinning at the same time he’s so melodramatically sulking.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon casts detect magic and looks at the ‘prisoners’. Demons were tricky one of the ‘prisoners’ or even all of them might not be what they seem. So he decided to check but said nothing while observing them allowing the others to talk.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The half-elf, maybe more than half, lass stood up. Her pointy ears and light blue hair matched the description they were given. “I am…” She spoke hesitantly, looking the strange, and very heavily armed, group over tentatively.

Everyone nodded along to Julia’s questioning, standing up on obviously stiff and hungry legs. A very dark skinned man, who had a strong figure which showed as he lacked a shirt, looked them over with scrutinizing eyes. “And who are you all…?”

During the converstaion, Deacon’s spell enhanced eyes scanned over the group, but saw nothing magical.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
When the young lass got up and said she was Ellyn, Vogh smiled at her. When the man spoke asking who they were Vogh answered, We are called ‘The Calling’ a group of adventurers in the city and we have come here to locate some stolen items but also to find Ellyn. Who might you be kind sir? Vogh asked.

Vogh turned to Ellyn then and said, Dellam is worried about you, having not shown up for work the past few days and now we know why! How long have the rest of you been captive?

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Ellyn rubbed her wrists after having the shackles removed. “We’ve all been here for a few days. With no windows it’s hard to tell, and they haven’t fed us.”

The smell if excrement wafted up into the group’s noses then, realizing the people were not allowed to leave the room for a bathroom break either.

With narrowed eyes the dark skinned man didn’t answer directly. “Don’t worry about my name. You think our home was attacked because of your bauble then?” He asked angrily. “Seems they wouldn’t have needed to come in here were it not for whatever this thing was you seek, right?!” His logic was horribly lacking, but perhaps that was due to malnourishment or mistreatment.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon could not hear the responses or the questions as people were not making an effort to be sure to speak slow enough or where he could see clearly so that he could follow. The smell though was painful. While Deacon was deaf his other senses were increased and thus the small was very noticeable. He stepped back out of the room allowing the others to take the lead. He decided he’d keep watch while they talked.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
The attitude of the dark-skinned man unnerved Vogh a little and she almost said to him that if he didn’t keep his trap shut he would remain in shackles but Vogh was nice and said, I don’t think your name is needed anyways. I also don’t think that whoever it is that came in here and did this to you was because of what they stole. There is something more fiendish afoot here.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

“Us? We’re The Astonishing Bharash and his Humorous Minions.” the big Dragonborn declares more or less as Vogh answers more seriously, prompting him to grin and rumble “Or that, if you want to be more serious about it.”, while moving to start examining their shackles with an eye towards freeing the group – something he pauses in when the hostile man speaks up, fixing him with a suddenly much less amused eye.

“Vogh said ‘stolen items’, which could encapsulate a range of scenarios… But you leapt right to ‘a single thing, stolen from us’. Which, if you’ve a nasty suspicious mind like mine implies that you know more than you’re letting on.” – here, Bharash takes a long moment to stare, flatly at the man before snorting and adding – “Unfortunately, my social skills mostly begin and end with the removal of extraneous body parts until things happen the way I’d like them to, so I’m going to leave you here to chat with my friends while I free the others. I’m sure you understand.”

With that, he starts working on freeing everyone else with a merry rumble of “No-one leave yet, we’ll see about getting you all something to eat and drink. Anyone know where the kitchen is?”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Vogh

hehe. He’s the deposed prince of Nigeria! Be polite. ^_^ jk jk

The man huffed at her words, but didn’t press the issue further.

None of the others seemed to pay him any heed regardless. Ellyn thanked them again, as did the others. “Sorry for him. It’s been very difficult. There were more of us. Residents of the apartments, but one by one they have been taken from the room and never returned. Each time we would hear horrible screaming, so we assume they are all dead, and we figured the same was going to happen to us.”

All nodded in agreement with the attractive half-elfs statements, even the surly gentleman.

One of the men spoke up and said the kitchen, if it could be called that, was on the second story.

[Private to Deacon Havenhold: Deacon stepping outside might have saved the group because he was the first to notice two disgusting undead coming into the room! Ghouls

Stench of death, DC 15 Fortitude save, or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes.]

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon calls to the others, “Ghasts!” while taking a five foot step back.

The rooms vapors had already enabled his senses to be a bit dulled enough that the stench didn’t sicken him.

Thinking fast and knowing that elementals would be immune to the paralysis of the undead Deacon called forth three earth elemental. These creatures burst from the ground and looked like walking piles of dirt and stone save for their Amethyst eyes.

He pointed to the ghasts/ghouls and called in Terran, “Destroy Them!”

Obediently they move forward and attack a Ghoul/Ghast per his command.

OOC:

You mean Ghast, Ghoul’s don’t have stench
19:06, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 22 using 1d20+6 ((16)).

19:12, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 20 using 1d20+7. Initiative.

19:48, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 3 using 1d3+1. Summon Monster III, # of Small Earth Elementals summoned.

19:56, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 25,7 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 3 hit/damage.

19:55, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 19,6 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 2 hit/damage.

19:55, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 12,11 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 1 hit/damage.

Small Earth Elemental
Has been modified with my augment summoning feat
CR 1

XP 400
N Small outsider (earth, elemental, extraplanar)
Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.; Perception +4

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
hp 14 (2d10+3)
Fort +5, Ref –1, Will +3
Immune elemental traits (pretty much immune to their special attacks…)

OFFENSE

Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
Melee slam +8 (1d6+5)
Special Attacks earth mastery

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Base Atk +2; CMB +4; CMD 13
Feats Improved Bull RushB, Power Attack
Skills Appraise +1, Climb +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Perception +4, Stealth +7
Languages Terran

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Earth Glide (Ex)

A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.
Earth Mastery (Ex)

An earth elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. These modifiers apply to bull rush and overrun maneuvers, whether the elemental is initiating or resisting these kinds of attacks. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

NOTE: My Extended Mage Armor II is still running 🙂

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
When Talin heard the call from Deacon that there were Ghasts! Talin swung around and moved to intercept in the hall. He had begun his song to undermine the fighting capabilities of the ghasts knowing that they were intelligent undead unlike zombies or skeletons.

23:35, Today: Talin rolled 26 using 1d20+7. Initiative
Talin started his song of satire. giving a -3 to att and damage

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
As Vogh was talking to the captives and was about to lead them to the city watch she heard Deacon call out to them the word ‘ghasts’. Vogh was wise enough to know that when Deacon called out the word he was calling out a warning that something had arrived. Vogh began her song in the heads of her friends (not including the earth elementals, cause she didn’t see them) to strengthen their resolve in attacking the enemy.

23:38, Today: Vogh rolled 12 using 1d20+7.
Start Inspire courage +5 to att/damage

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Bharash, who was clarifying the directions to the kitchen by making sure that when they said ‘second floor’ they actually meant the second floor and weren’t just forgetting that they’re on the ground floor right now is a little slow to react to the Ghast situation, lifts his head and looks back at the door before holding up a finger to the rescuees “Uhm, hold that thought. And… Try not to look appetising.” before walking towards the hall door, drawing his swords slowly as he goes.

Doesn’t look like there’s room in the corridor for Bharash to join in, so he’ll stand in the doorway and provide helpful advice about technique. ^_^

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Bards roll for : Stench of death, DC 15 Fortitude save, or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes.

The ghast’s slash out at the elementals with tooth and claw, but Talin’s unnerving music caused hesitation among them and all but one of their attacks faltered. An elemental took a scratch from one claw.

Roll for 1x elemental: Creatures damaged by a ghast’s natural attacks must make a successful DC 15 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
OOC: Elementals are immune to paralysis…it’s why I chose elementals….its part of the elemental traits

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/besti…/outsiders/elemental

Should I post next round or wait for Bards to roll?

 

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
The Earth Elementals will continue to attack the Ghasts/Ghouls concentrating on one until it falls then switching to the other one.

Deacon will raise his right hand pointing at the one the Earth Elementals had not attacked the previous round and without a word five magical bolts of force raced into the body of the Ghoul/Ghast.

OOC

17:32, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 28,10 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 1 hit/damage.
17:33, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 14,9 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 1 confirm crit/damage.

17:33, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 22,10 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 2 hit/damage.

17:34, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 16,10 using d20+8,d6+5. EE 3 hit/damage.

17:41, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 4,2,3,3,4 using d4+1,d4+1,d4+1,d4+1,d4+1. Magic Missile.

Reposted from OOC 🙂

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Deacon’s elementals plus the sing-songy inspiration of the bards make quick work of the two undead. Fists of earth batter undead flesh and bone into true death with the aid of and magical darts of energy. Their stench does not dissipate quickly, unfortunately.

===========================================================
Talin
———————————————————–
Talin watched as the last of the undead things dissipated into not too recognizable lumps on the ground. “Well done Deacon! Those elementals have certainly aided our group on more than one occasion. Now let’s get these people out of here. They are starving and probably want to see daylight once again.” Talin said after turning to face the elven wizard.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“There could well be more of them,” Deacon said.

“We need to find their source, and every one thy kill adds to their numbers, that is the wretched state of undeath,” Deacon explained though hew as not asked.

Deacon looked to see if he could figure out where the ghoul/ghasts had come from.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
“If there are more than we shouldn’t wait any further to get these people out of here.” Julia said so Deacon could see and then turned to the captives that were already let free and said “follow me closely. We are going to get you outside and to safety.” Julia then started for the exit.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The civilians were happy to be ushered outside quickly, stealing glances around their homes as they reached the front door and were met by the few City Watch still present outside.

Alys nodded, impressed, as the group brought the residents outside. “Well done. We will see to these folks. Are you going back in? I’m still waiting on my mens’ return.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh answered Alys, Yes, we will be heading to the second floor to make sure it is clear before heading down into the sewers and dealing with that mess. Are you sure you don’t want to join us? Vogh said with a grin and a wink to Alys.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The young woman nodded back with pursed lips of thoughtfulness, “I’ll let you have the fun…” she chidded.

Once back inside the group made their way to the bottom of the stairs once more. Their progress was still blocked by the large cocoon which had not yet been broken open. Deacon instructed one elemental to smash open the hard shell. Once it did the group heard a scream from inside. As they rushed forward a youngish man lay dead, halfway transformed into one of the multi-legged creatures they had killed down the hall.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia rushes to the cocoon after the scream and after seeing the young man she checks him to make sure he can’t be brought back to life.

Since it died just now, Julia will cast breath of life on the young man.
21:30, Today: Julia Graymantle rolled 42 using 5d8+11.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The young man gasped as Julia’s spell ripped him back from the great beyond, then he screamed again as he saw his partially transformed body. Holding up one arm which was a chittin covered claw he continued screaming in horror. Looking down at his legs which had started to cover in chittin, his toes sharp tipped barbs rather than fleshy digits. It was too much for the man to bear, so he passed out from shock. Julia could tell the man still lived, his breathing was heavy and deep as his unconscious body sucked air to compensate for his racing heart.

(I’m assuming you take his body outside, if not, ignore this part)

It took Bharash and Talin’s strength to lift the man’s unnaturally heavy form outside. Everyone of the residents gasped at seeing the man in his altered state. “That’s Andrei!” One of the men gasped.

The half-elf Ellyn covered here mouth in abject horror. “Is that what they did to everyone?! Were those… those… those… THINGS our friends?!”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon looked at the young man as they carried him out.

“There may be a way to restore him. What is done with magic can be undone with magic. I do not know the necessary spells but with time and funds I could possibly find a cure for his condition and others,” he said.

Once questioned outside he responded, “It appears that is possible. Do any of you know which god he worshiped. We should seek the advice of his priest to help him.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Everyone looked at each other but all shrugged. “We didn’t talk religion much.” One man offered.

Ellyn asked Deacon, “Do you think he will survive?”

Alys looked over the man with a scrutinized eye then addressed the group. “I’ve never seen anything like this before. Have any of you?”

When they all shook their heads or responded in the negative she frowned even deeper. “There is a great deal more going on in this house than a murder and some monsters milling about.” Alys didn’t speak further, but cocked her jaw in thought as she looked over the man, then the outside of the residence.

“Let’s just burn it out. These folks have said everyone is accounted for except a few, and I’m willing to bet a dragon all the missing have been turned into those beasts.”

For anyone who hadn’t seen these alternate names for coins, here’s a refresher, and it’s at the top of the Ptolus thread:

Names for Coins in Ptolus

Platinum pieces are dragons.
Gold pieces are thrones.
Silver pieces are shields (although slang terms include “shinies” and “moons”).
Copper pieces are pennies (also known as “jennies,” “bobs,” or “jacks”).

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“He might yet live,” Deacon said.

“Burning it down might not solve the problem since there is a hole that leads to the sewers. Whatever is in there will merely escape to the sewers and spread their evil elsewhere nearby. The only way to be sure we purge this infestation of chaos is to actually ferret it out room by room, that’s the only way to be sure it is eradicated,” he continued.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
“Yeah, uh… given how they’ve all been exposed to whatever was cocooning people, we might want to nevermind I can see they’re all being escorted out.” Bharash comments as the last of the undead goes down to a late grave by way of being battered with their own gravestone.

When the cocoon’s broken open, he holds up a hand to stall matters, only to wince and observe as the spellcasting goes ahead “I’m pretty sure that if he’s partly changed, restoring him won’t help. You really need one of those druid guys… I think.”, but he doesn’t actually prevent what seems to him to be a rather alarmingly ill-conceived resurrection, instead just escorting the gathering to the guards and – once there – stating “Yeah, Deacon has the right idea. Burning it down without knowing what’s going on is just destroying the evidence. Look, you guys keep all the people we rescued here until we can check them over. I’m going to go get them some food at the kitchen, once we clear the place maybe we can get their things together, that way at least they’ll have something to take with them to a new home.”

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh couldn’t agree more with what Deacon and Bharash had said about the apartment. “Yes, burning wouldn’t be a good idea, Alys. We need to make sure it is rooted out as Deacon said, room by room.” Vogh made sure she faced Deacon as she spoke. “If you have this under control now, I think we should be heading upstairs now.” With that, if the others were ready Vogh headed back inside and to the stairs to head up and check out the second floor.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“In a moment,” Deacon said.

He moved to the young man and examined him more then moved back to where Bharash had slew the two inside and examined them, he wanted to know more about what these creatures were.

OOC:

12:27, Today: Deacon Havenhold rolled 19 using 1d20+18. Monster Lore: Any (except constructs dragons etc is +2 more).

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
In reply to Deacon Havenhold

He has never seen anything like this before. Beyond that they are insect like.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Reaching the steps, Bharash picks up his trap detection stick and holds it it ahead of him as he starts up towards the next floor, taking his time to allow anything that’s about to happen to the first person up the stairs happen to the torso on a stick instead of to him.

It’s not nice exactly, but he still hasn’t entirely processed to consequences of the cocoon yet and when he does he’s likely to have a dramatic change of heart.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh and Talin follow slowly up the stairs with blades at the ready in case something jumps out at them.

Vogh also reaches out with her mind to search for anything with intelligence.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Very curious,” he said before following the others. He knew the elementals would not last much longer.

He called to the others “Let the elementals go up first, they will not remain much longer.”

He then turned to the Elementals and in Terran told them, “Go up the stairs.”

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia remained in the middle of the group it had always served her well cause it meant she was protected but also able to lend assistance quickly if needed.

“I agree with Deacon! Let his summons find any traps or get attacked first.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The top of the stairs revealed yet another of the cocoons, which had not yet been broken open. Smashed furniture littered the ground, and a blood stain marred the floor near the corner.

Two wooden doors, and a cased opening, gave exits from this landing area. The opening looked intentional and part of the construction, not like the walls downstairs which had been smashed open.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Deacon, we have another unopened cocoon, can you have your elementals smash it open again. We will be ready for whatever comes out! Julia, if you can save whatever comes out, please do! Vogh said in everyone’s head.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon nods and points to the unopened cocoon and orders the Elementals in Terran, “Open that.”

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Once again the elementals smashed open the hard cocoon. Inside was a person much farther along in the transormation process. There was no scream, but there seemed to be little life in the person. What human features remained resembled a younger female human. The half of her head which was not covered in chittin had purple hair, and the human skin was pockmarked and chocolate.

DC 15 heal check reveales she’s alive, but barely breathing.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
Deacon looked grimly at the transformed woman, “There is magic that might could restore her, and him. I do not yet have such magic, but there is no doubt a spell that could help them in the vastness of the Pyramid. It is only a matter of time and money to acquire such really. It might be quicker if they were faithful members of a faith and could call upon the clerics of their faith to aid them.”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–

Bharash – who is at the top of the stairs when the call goes out – sighs and tromps back down again before standing aside to let the Elementals, followed by everyone else past him after which he heads upstairs again, trap-detector stick slung over his shoulder, where it remains until the cocoon is smashed open in front of him.

At that point he looks from the almost-intact face of the horribly transformed woman inside the casing and the remnants of the thing over his shoulder, blanches and sets the latter down beside the staircase, swallowing uncomfortably and moving over to the opening in order to peer through it, choosing action over introspection, under the circumstances.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia looked over the young woman and could feel the pain the woman must have gone through. She hoped that Deacon was right and that there was a spell that could reverse this for each of the people they had found. “I hope you are right Deacon,” Julia said as she faced him.

Okay from now on if I talk to Deacon I am facing him! No longer am I posting it cause they have been together for over two years now! If I am talking to others and Deacon is around I will ALWAYS try and face where Deacon is able to see what I am saying.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Should we carry this one down as well or see what else is up here first before we move downstairs again? Vogh asked the others. My thought is we should push on as long as Julia says that she is stable now.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
OOC: Just playing the deaf part best I can :(.

“And if we fall inside from whatever is, what chance has she got?” Deacon questioned. “Let us move her first downstairs, perhaps the guard can summon priests that might be able to help.”

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
“Guys. They’re like, at the other end of the hall. It’s not like it’s much of a walk.” Bharash remarks from where he’s uncomfortably standing on guard, peering into the next space then listening at the westernmost door.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
OOC: Bharash low key like, “What’s yall’s problem?!” hahaha. p.s. I’m going to assume everyone left and everyone came back. @Deacon, how long do the elementals last?

Indeed the group was able to quickly extract the half woman, half monster, from the building and lay her with the young man who was less transformed than she. Bharash’s listening revealed nothing to him, all seemed quiet. He was able to look through the cased opening into what must have been a shared, common sitting room before all the funiture was smashed. Cats were lazing around the place upstairs as they were downstairs and outside.

After dropping the transformed woman outside the elementals dispersed shortly thereafter, their time expired on this plane. Alys and the few remaining with them simply shook their heads at the sight.

The group entered the strange appartment once more. Everyone started a bit as the sound of a woman screaming came from the room to their right, on the first floor. Bharash rushed into the room, only to discover nothing. The group moved through the hole in the wall into the other room, then back out into the common room, finding nothing else amiss.

Then, as everyone was moving down the hall a broken piece of wood flew from one pile and smacked Deacon in the back of the head.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
OOC: Bharash is, in many ways the designated adult with a leatherman and steel toed shoes who follows the group around, dispensing practical advice and fixing things, as needed. ^_^

To say that Bharash ‘rushes into the room’ is to slightly understate what happens to the door that was occupying the frame – and part of the frame, come to that – as inferior building codes meet fast-moving armoured Dragonborn and come off decidedly the worse for wear for the introduction. Splinters and fragments of plaster explode from the frame almost before he’s aware of having moved, a reaction that leaves him standing in an empty apartment with a puzzled look on his face.

“There was a damsel. In distress. You all heard that, right?”

===========================================================
Belie
———————————————————–
Belie moved with his big warrior friend, slightly behind as the dragonborne was a rather handy meat-shield (chuckle, I couldn’t resist) with shield floating and rapier held out defensively.

The rogue too looked around, perplexed. “Yep… I definitely heard someone scream… Are we dealing with one of those weird people with the talking dummies on their legs? Ventriloquist?”

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
OOC: 16 rounds, (base 11 + 1/2 my level due to my Summoner’s Charm), we can say they’ve left after cracking that last cocoon if you feel been long enough. Note if I use the extend rod on a Summon Monster Spell it becomes 22 + 1/2 my level, Summoner’s Charm bonus is not extended.)

“Aww” Deacon said, “What was that?”

He had felt something strike the back of his head but had no idea what it was. He turned to look and see what had struck him.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
OOC: Yeah, we walked around a bunch and did some more searching, so if you want them to go up the stairs in front of you all again, you’ll need to re-summon them.

Deacon saw the simple piece of wooden scrap on the floor behind him. The object had done him no harm, but it had to come from somewhere. It had to have been thrown by someone, but the elf couldn’t figure out who at the moment.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Okay who threw this piece of wood,” he asked leaning down and picking up the piece of wood to examine it.

The elementals returned unto the earth from wence they came as they sank back into the floor.

“Well looks like your up Bharash, I know you are eager buddy,” Deacon tells his dragonborn friend.

OOC: Only have so many spells a day, need to reserve them for combat mostly I think.

===========================================================
Bharash
———————————————————–
OOC: So, from the top of the stairs, on the first floor both doors and the broken door are ‘on our right’. From the stairs, there’s a door to our south-east, a hole to our south-west and a door to our west. I think you meant the south-eastern door though, so I moved Bharash back there.

Also, I can’t see the ground floor map any more. Might be handy for reference.

Bharash, looking around the empty room shrugs and moves to close the door, which is about when he realises that it doesn’t exist any more and winces, stepping back onto the landing out into the hall and helplessly brushes wooden splinters and debris off his shoulder before rumbling “Yeah, kitchen should be just around here upstairs.” and starting to follow the directions he got from the residents downstairs.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
Vogh too had heard the sound so she reached out with her mind to see if there was anything in the rooms as they moved through them looking for survivors or enemies.

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
Vogh sensed nothing except her companions.

===========================================================
Vogh
———————————————————–
I don’t sense anything intelligent in the area besides us. Either whatever is happening isn’t intelligent or perhaps they are ethereal? I can’t be for certain. Let’s just move to the second floor and clear it. Vogh said to the all in their minds.

===========================================================
Deacon Havenhold
———————————————————–
“Are you suggesting a haunt, ghost or poltergeist that might have thrown it?” he questioned.

“An interesting theory, but I have no spells prepared for such though I could summon something that might could deal with such, we’ll see if it happens again,” he said.

===========================================================
Julia Graymantle
———————————————————–
Julia had a way to see if there were undead around and since Vogh said she could sense anything with her senses, Julia cast her spell to detect undead in the area.

Cast Detect Undead

===========================================================
Narrator GM
———————————————————–
The group proceeded back up the stairs together, Bharash and Belie out front. A small pea shot out at them from the wall to their right and exploded in front of the group. The rogue, always quick on his feet tucked and rolled forward, avoiding all of the flames. But immediately Bharash and Belie had another problem, as magical, curved daggers sprang into existence in front of them and immediately attacked.

Bharash’s quick reflexes batted the first thrust of the dagger away from his body. Belie took a scratch from the glowing weapon as he came out of his roll, but dodged quickly to the side to avoid most of the blade’s harm.

Narrator GM rolled 23 using 5d6. Fireball DC 14 for half.

11:09, Today: Belie rolled 22 using 1d20+12 ((10)).

ROLL INITIATIVE.

Roll 20 Updated

[Private to Vogh: Vogh can sense two humans on the opposite side of the wall. The one to the right of the stairwell as they ascend.]

[Private to GM: Audon 5
Uranik 17
Thralls 15
]

===========================================================

Back to Chapter 5 : The Quaan and Beyond : Part 7 | Next to Chapter 6 : Lair of Dreams : Part 2

Submit Homebrew Content for this Item